Miata as a toad

Old November 7th 04, 12:00 AM
FredC

Default Miata as a toad

I am seriously considering towing my 1990 Miata (first owner, I've had it
since June '89) behind my motorhome. I am fairly confident that no
modifications ( tranny lube pump, driveshaft disconnect) are required. My
concern is with the odometer racking up mileage. Is the speedo cable
driven from tranny output or is it electronic? I would check for myself
but the Miata is in storage for the winter and inaccessable. If it is
cable is there an aftermarket conversion to electronic available?

Old November 7th 04, 12:24 AM
Tom Howlin

I believe it is mechanial, that's one of the reason they start vibrating
some after a number of years and there are instructions for replacing
the cable. I can only assume it is likewise gear driven at the other
end as well and thus would accumulate mileage while being towed.

Tom
92 Red

Old November 7th 04, 03:29 AM
Roger Scow, Sr

On 2004-11-06 18:00:09 -0600, "FredC" > said:

> I am seriously considering towing my 1990 Miata (first owner, I've had it
> since June '89) behind my motorhome. I am fairly confident that no
> modifications ( tranny lube pump, driveshaft disconnect) are required. My
> concern is with the odometer racking up mileage. Is the speedo cable
> driven from tranny output or is it electronic? I would check for myself
> but the Miata is in storage for the winter and inaccessable. If it is
> cable is there an aftermarket conversion to electronic available?

I bought a '97 last year, and towed it this summer for about 3,000
miles with no ill effects. Sad to say, it did rack up miles, but since
I plan to keep it indefinitely I decided not to worry about it... only
problem is guessing when to do lubes and periodic maintenance.

Old November 7th 04, 04:37 PM
Chief_Wiggum

To be honest, I always questioned the concept of disconnecting odo's on
towed cars..

Just because the car isn't being driven doesn't = no miles being put on
it...

the wheel bearings, rear end, tires, shocks, tires, and even the
transmission in some cases are all racking up miles. Just not the motor.

That said... places like Camping World sell odo disconnect kits you can
hook up so you can disconnect the odo remotely . you might check into that.

Oh, and YES the 90's had a physical cable, not electronic speedo.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 7th 04, 05:40 PM
ROMAD

<< I am seriously considering towing my 1990 Miata (first owner, I've had it
since June '89) behind my motorhome. I am fairly confident that no
modifications ( tranny lube pump, driveshaft disconnect) are required.

Bad idea.

1. The gear oil in the transmission will not be circulating because the output
shaft is ABOVE the oil level. It is the gearing down IN the oil that transfer
the oil to the output shaft and they are driven by the input shaft.

2. You'll get a lot of gravel dings on the nose, hood and possibly windshield.

3. Odometer will rack up miles; however you can just pull the instrument pod
out and disconnect the cable from the head unit.

While it is ok to flat tow a MANUAL transmission in an emergency, for your
purposes an auto trailer would be the correct solution. You could get by with a
dolly under the rear wheels but then the damage noted in 2 above would be on
the rear area.

Dennis B. Swaney
remove .zz to reply
Old November 7th 04, 10:07 PM
Anthony

"FredC" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> I am seriously considering towing my 1990 Miata (first owner, I've had it
> since June '89) behind my motorhome. I am fairly confident that no
> modifications ( tranny lube pump, driveshaft disconnect) are required. My
> concern is with the odometer racking up mileage. Is the speedo cable
> driven from tranny output or is it electronic? I would check for myself
> but the Miata is in storage for the winter and inaccessable. If it is
> cable is there an aftermarket conversion to electronic available?

If you're not putting it on a flatbed, and plan on towing it with all
four wheels on the ground, you DO need to disconnect the driveshafts.
Leaving it in neutral is generally a bad idea if you plan on traveling
for quite a distance. I'm sure it would be fine if you are only
driving a few miles, but if you're concerned about mileage racking up,
it sounds like you're going far. Also, locking the steering column
with the stock lock to keep the wheels perfectly straight ahead is not
strong enough. You need an aftermarket column locker; I'm not sure
where you can get one but I know they exist. If you're not towing on
all four wheels, you can tow with the rear wheels lifted in a wheel
supporting sling (do NOT lift by the frame) with the front wheels
rolling. That would be the way to tow without any disconnections.
This is where your steering wheel needs to be locked straight ahead.
Good luck

~Anthony

Another Miata Owner Ken Lyons Mazda 4 November 13th 04 05:38 AM
1990 Miata refrigrant.... Crazy Banana Mazda 6 October 13th 04 04:07 PM
Miata gas milate srides Mazda 2 September 11th 04 02:39 PM
Market Value - 2003 Miata Carol Mazda 18 September 9th 04 09:12 PM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM