Starter Problems

Old June 9th 05, 04:14 AM
whoareyou4

Default Starter Problems

I have 97 SC2 that will not start, I did get it to start by jump
starting, drove it for a while came back home, turned it, off and then
tried to restart it but it would not start. It just clicks continually
when the key is turned.

When I put my meter across the battery with the car not running I get
12.7 volts and 14.6 volts or so with the car running, so my charging
system is good.

The cables were tight on the battery, I cleaned all of the other
connections.

I pulled the starter and hooked it up to my battery and it works.
The solenoid kicks in and the motor spins. The connections were tight.

I took apart the starter and looked at the solenoid contacts and they
didn't look too bad.

What else can I do or check? I'

Old June 9th 05, 06:49 AM
justastreekin

did you check the brushes in the end of the motor thats what failed on my
93 about 2 years ago, you cant find any that will fit at least i couldnt !

Old June 14th 05, 08:58 AM
Semi Head

if the other suggestions posted earlier don't work, then have your
starter rebuilt.

Replace your battery & it's cables.
if that does not fix the problem, then bad-news, it's your flywheel.
Teeth, too worn or a few missing.

S_H

Old June 15th 05, 05:14 AM
Robert M. Gary

Sounds like the battery. A bad battery *WILL* show 12volts. When a
battery goes bad, its usually because one of the fields has collapsed.
You only need one field to give you 12v but if you put a load on it,
the voltage will drop. That is why when you take your battery into the
local auto parts store to test it, they only voltage test under load.
There isn't much reason to test the voltage when the battery isn't
putting out a load. When the starter is out of the car, there isn't
much load to turn it (no engine to turn). It sounds to me more like
your battery isn't putting out enough amps because a bad field. Take it
to the auto parts store and test if before you spend any $$