Jeep stopped with AC on

Old August 23rd 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default Jeep stopped with AC on

Last week, the service engine light was on. I went to Jeep and they
said "front pinion seal leaking" and "recommends BG induction service".

This happened when I put the AC on and the Jeep just stopped. I had to
turn the ignition on again.

is "front pinion seal leaking" for $160.00 and
"recommends BG induction service" $145.00
normal for Jeep Sport Cherokke 2000 with 79,500 miles on it?

Thanks
Mike

Old August 23rd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

I am awestruck that the front pinion seal leak stored a code.

;-)

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

BG Induction Service:
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

For a do it your self treatment:

Personally I use SeaFoam Motor Treatment. It is $5.99 per can at you corner
auto parts store.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2107498956

For fuel additive injector cleaning....BG 44K is also a very good product as
is Chevron's Techron. If you decide on Techron be sure to get the pure
Techron cleaner not the diluted cleaner with Techron.

Sometime it is beneficial to do a treatment & add cleaner to a full tank of
fuel, run that tank as close to empty as you dare, refill completely with
just gasoline and run that until as close to empty as you dare and then
repeat the injector and fuel treatment a second time

While you are around the engine you should clean the throttle body. All you
need is a can or spray cleaner and an old toothbrush
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122181169

What error code shows up?

Please note that sometimes after a carbon cleaning you will need to clean or
replace your spark plugs as bits can break off an lodge in the plug.

If it is over 25-30K since the last complete tune up then it is probably
time for that also...

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

The front pinion seal cannot trigger a check engine light. Take it to
autozone and have them use thier code reader tell you what's up.

Carl

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
> I am awestruck that the front pinion seal leak stored a code.
>
> ;-)

<AOL> m33 t00! </AOL>

> <yared22311> wrote...
>> Last week, the service engine light was on. I went to Jeep and they
>> said "front pinion seal leaking" and "recommends BG induction
>> service". This happened when I put the AC on and the Jeep just stopped. I had
>> to turn the ignition on again.

I'm betting crudded up battery terminals or slow idle air adjustment.

What codes did it store.
Ignition on-off-on-off-on then read what it puts on the odometer
display.

>> is "front pinion seal leaking" for $160.00 and
>> "recommends BG induction service" $145.00
>> normal for Jeep Sport Cherokke 2000 with 79,500 miles on it?

in short, no.

Pinion seals rarely leak unless your running some big tires and
putting serious stress on the box. Just keep an eye on the fluid
and make sure it's not a leaky hose. I'd probably just wipe the
steering box down with some paper towel and watch it closely.

BG induction service is a fancy way of saying "put stuff down
the throttle body and injector rail to clean the engine intake.
Same as the folks that do this. http://www.motorvac.com/
Lots of places do this for about $100 or so. Generally if your
engine has been well taken care of (regular oil changes) and your
not all city/stop/go then you probably don't need it. You could
just put some Techron fuel systems cleaner in the tank and clean
out the throttle body.
http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html

On a low use/short trip engine, the motorvac isn't a bad idea.
I had it done at about 100,000 miles while tracking down some
ping.. ping that turned out to be due to a bad coil. go figure.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old August 23rd 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Default OT question for Doug

Hey Doug, I've been to your site and seen the supercharger kit you've
installed... If you actually drive conservatively is your gas mileage
better with that thing? I've been considering a supercharger and you are
the only one I know of who has one.

Troy

Old August 23rd 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Troy wrote:
> Hey Doug, I've been to your site and seen the supercharger kit you've
> installed... If you actually drive conservatively is your gas mileage
> better with that thing? I've been considering a supercharger and you
> are the only one I know of who has one.

You loose about 1-2 MPG because the superchargers are paracitic. A turbo
would be better for fuel economy since it runs off the exhaust. The trade
is where you want the power. Superchargers are for low RPM grunt and turbos
are for high RPM.

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/gasminder/gasminder.pdf

Can you spot when I put on the charger?

On the highway the Jeep gets fairly good milage and will get good city
milage if I'm light on the fuel. Of course if I drive like a nutjob the
gas milage goes down to about 9.... :]

I went charger simply because it was easier than trying to squeeze in
a turbo and didn't require a lot of custom fabrication.

--
DougW

Old August 23rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Pinion seals just don't up and leak normally, especially at those low a
miles. Something has to cause the seal failure. That 'usually' means
you have an out of balance vibrating driveshaft. This is usually due to
a dead u-joint.

If the u-joint vibrates long enough it will also take out the pinion
bearing which then allows play for the seal to leak.

Just replacing the seal for $160.00 will do nothing except line the
pockets of some $tealership. The cause of the failure needs to be
addressed.

$145.00 to pour some cleaner down the intake???? I personally learned
to use a pint of ATF 'slowly' poured in the intake while keeping the
engine running by hand to clean all the carbon out of the combustion
chamber. It makes them clean as new. Others have posted good success
by just pouring a pint of water slowly down the same way to shock the
carbon off. The way I learned makes a 'massive' cloud of smoke, the
water way doesn't.

Costs less then five bucks....

Also worth mentioning is on the older Cherokees, there is an idiot light
timer that goes off around 80K miles to 'remind' you it is time to spend
money at the $tealership. They will usually want to change the O2
sensor and anything else they can sucker you for before charging you an
extra $80.00 or so just to reset the timer so it can go off in another
80K miles again.

At least on the old Cherokee, we could just unplug the sucker....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

My TJ had leaking pinion seals at 7,000 miles, in stock configuration. That
tells me that quality-control at Dana wasn't what it should be, and it was
either a faulty seal or it wasn't assembled properly; fixed under warranty.
My old 93 Grand leaked fron the rear diff cover at 10,000 miles. Wife's '04
is starting to get wet at the pinion seals and front diff cover at 31,000
miles, but this is after a lift, so I doubt the warranty will be honored,
but to be honest I have not checked. I need to change the gears anyway so I
won't worry about it until then.

Matt

Old August 26th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Your Dana 35c were NOT assembled by Dana, but by Daimler as they're
called "C" (Custom) to relieve Dana from their failures:
http://www.californiajeeper.com/axle.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/