CONNECT and T-Mobile problem

Old October 11th 04, 12:28 AM
Glen Rolland

Default CONNECT and T-Mobile problem

A week ago I took delivery of a new Alfa 156 Sportwagon GTA which is
every bit as good as I hoped, it's fantastic fun to drive!

The one minor irritation is that I cannot get the CONNECT hands free GSM
phone system working with a T-Mobile pay as you go SIM card, it simply
can't find the T-Mobile network, it only seems to recognise the Cellnet
(O2) and Vodaphone networks.

The system appears to have around 200 mobile networks predefined but not
T-Mobile UK, a quick check on the internet has identified 3 network
addresses that T-Mobile use and I have tried to add these into the
system following the instructions in the manual however to no avail as
it doesn't seem to store them properly.

I have tried getting the dealer to help but the sales guy didn't even
know how to insert the SIM card correctly and simply started reading the
manual which I had already done.

If anyone has any experience of using/configuring the CONNECT system
with T-Mobile UK or successfully adding a new network I would be most
grateful for some assistance.

Glen

Old October 11th 04, 09:09 AM
Mr Flipflops

"Glen Rolland" > wrote in message
d.com...
> A week ago I took delivery of a new Alfa 156 Sportwagon GTA which is
> every bit as good as I hoped, it's fantastic fun to drive!
>
> The one minor irritation is that I cannot get the CONNECT hands free GSM
> phone system working with a T-Mobile pay as you go SIM card, it simply
> can't find the T-Mobile network, it only seems to recognise the Cellnet
> (O2) and Vodaphone networks.

Hey Glen

Just a thought, but O2 and Vodafone are on the same band (900Mhz). Orange
and T-Mobile use 1800Mhz I believe, so could it be that your system is
single band?

Rgds

Stuart

Old October 12th 04, 12:40 AM
Glen Rolland

In article >,=20
says...
> "Glen Rolland" > wrote in message
> d.com...
> > A week ago I took delivery of a new Alfa 156 Sportwagon GTA which is
> > every bit as good as I hoped, it's fantastic fun to drive!
> >
> > The one minor irritation is that I cannot get the CONNECT hands free GS=

> > phone system working with a T-Mobile pay as you go SIM card, it simply
> > can't find the T-Mobile network, it only seems to recognise the Cellnet
> > (O2) and Vodaphone networks.

>=20
> Hey Glen
>=20
> Just a thought, but O2 and Vodafone are on the same band (900Mhz). Orang=

> and T-Mobile use 1800Mhz I believe, so could it be that your system is
> single band?
>=20
> Rgds
>=20
> Stuart
>=20
>=20
>=20

Stuart

Many thanks for the suggestion, I have checked the manual again and it=20
does indeed only cover the 900mhz band, pity the salesaman didn't tell=20
me that rather than offer the advice that "you can use any SIM card", it=20
would have saved me =A330, as I had no idea there were different GSM=20
bands.

I will go and buy an O2 SIM card tomorrow, my religion (I'm a Man City=20
fan) prevents me from having anything to do with Vodaphone.

My trip up to The City of Manchester stadium for the game against=20
Chelsea will be my first real run out in the car, (I live in=20
Hertfordshire), as I've only done around 130 miles since I got it.

This is my 3rd Alfa, I started with a 33 1.7 16v (brilliant fun) and=20
have been borrowing my wifes 156 1.8 TS company car for the last 3=20
years, she's about to replace it with an Audi TT 3.2 Quattro as her=20
lease has expired and her company no longer allows Alfa's due to the=20
depreciation, she wanted to get a 147 GTA.

Hopefully the moron's who clog the middle lane will be shamed into=20
vacating it by the current campaign on the news and I will get a clear=20
run up the M1 and M6 toll road to put the car through its paces, though=20
I need to be a little careful until I finish saving up for a "New Road=20
Angel" to protect my license.

Regards

Glen

=20

Old October 31st 04, 12:14 PM

I had hours of fun trying to get my Connect system working with Orange (the
salesman insisted it would). Yes, the system is single band and can only
use O2 and Vodafone in the UK.

Old November 1st 04, 02:00 AM
Glen Rolland

In article >, says...
> I had hours of fun trying to get my Connect system working with Orange (t=

he=20
> salesman insisted it would). Yes, the system is single band and can only=

=20
> use O2 and Vodafone in the UK.
>=20
>=20
> "Mr Flipflops" > wrote in message=20
> > "Glen Rolland" > wrote in message
> > d.com...
> >> A week ago I took delivery of a new Alfa 156 Sportwagon GTA which is
> >> every bit as good as I hoped, it's fantastic fun to drive!
> >>
> >> The one minor irritation is that I cannot get the CONNECT hands free G=

SM
> >> phone system working with a T-Mobile pay as you go SIM card, it simply
> >> can't find the T-Mobile network, it only seems to recognise the Cellne=

> >> (O2) and Vodaphone networks.

> > Hey Glen
> >
> > Just a thought, but O2 and Vodafone are on the same band (900Mhz). Ora=

nge
> > and T-Mobile use 1800Mhz I believe, so could it be that your system is
> > single band?
> >
> > Rgds
> >
> > Stuart
> >
> >=20

>=20
>=20
>=20

Once Stuart suggested that the connect might only work on the 900mhz=20
band I read the manual again and indeed at the end under technical=20
specifications it does indeed state that it is restricted to the single=20
900mhz band. The really irritating thing is that the salesman assured me=20
it would work with any! and I ended up wasting =A330 and many hours of my=
=20
time

Have you managed to get the Targasys feature working? the manual states=20
that a setup code is required but I do not appear to have been given=20
one, though I am fairly certain I have read somewhere, although I cannot=20
recall where at the moment, that 1 years subscription to Targasys=20
services was included when the Connect system was bought.

Regards

Glen
Old November 2nd 04, 01:14 AM

"Glen Rolland" > wrote in message
d.com...
In article >, says...
> I had hours of fun trying to get my Connect system working with Orange
> (the
> salesman insisted it would). Yes, the system is single band and can only
> use O2 and Vodafone in the UK.

Once Stuart suggested that the connect might only work on the 900mhz
band I read the manual again and indeed at the end under technical
specifications it does indeed state that it is restricted to the single
900mhz band. The really irritating thing is that the salesman assured me
it would work with any! and I ended up wasting £30 and many hours of my
time

Have you managed to get the Targasys feature working? the manual states
that a setup code is required but I do not appear to have been given
one, though I am fairly certain I have read somewhere, although I cannot
recall where at the moment, that 1 years subscription to Targasys
services was included when the Connect system was bought.

Regards

Glen

Hi Glen

My salesman also insisted that, not only would my Orange SIM work in
Connect, but also that my mobile handset and car could magically share the
same number and would know which to ring when someone called. Seemed
unlikely but he assured me it all worked perfectly.

I should point out that my car is one of the last old-grille models and that
it had already been built with various options when I bought it (at a hefty
discount :-)). I had played 4 Alfa dealers off against each other in
getting a good deal and the winning dealer (and I) hadn't noticed that
Connect was installed in the car I had ordered. Hence the better price at
that dealer I suppose. They tried to get me to pay extra for it afterwards
but I really didn't want it (it's always seemed pants to me) and the dealer
and Alfa eventually covered the extra cost.

I bought an O2 pay-as-you-go SIM but the effort of getting whoever
administers Connect to recognise the changed phone number was too great, and
after trying to phone and fax unobtainable Italian numbers I gave up, so
have never used Connect.

For info, the unit has since gone back to Blaupunkt twice for repair but
when it's installed in the car the O2 SIM works fine.

PS, for alternative SatNav to Connect, the Tomtom GO is brilliant, costs
c£450 and many points of interest (including speed camera locations) are
free and legal to download from the web and use.

Regards
Barry