sport track ford 2001 brake easing to floor

Old August 5th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ed[_1_]

Default sport track ford 2001 brake easing to floor

I have 90K miles on this Sport Trak. When I step on the brake I get what
feels like a good pedal until a few seconds then it eases to the floor about
3/4 of the way. (yes I wrote of this a while back) The problem was not
consistent but now after flushing all the fluid it seems its consistent now.
I have new fluid all the way through the system and while I have it all
apart , I am changing the front pads. Its disk on the front only. I see no
leaks and suspect either the master cylinder or the booster but this is one
area I cannot distinguish between the two for this problem. Any help is
appreciated.

Old August 5th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"ed" > wrote in message
>I have 90K miles on this Sport Trak. When I step on the brake I get what
>feels like a good pedal until a few seconds then it eases to the floor
>about 3/4 of the way. (yes I wrote of this a while back) The problem was
>not consistent but now after flushing all the fluid it seems its consistent
>now. I have new fluid all the way through the system and while I have it
>all apart , I am changing the front pads. Its disk on the front only. I see
>no leaks and suspect either the master cylinder or the booster but this is
>one area I cannot distinguish between the two for this problem. Any help
>is appreciated.

That would be the master cylinder causing the pedal to go down as brake
fluid by-passes some of the internal seals. Replace it.
--
Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old August 5th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ed[_1_]

on order. I'll report back tomorrow when I change it.
That may explain why the fluid was brackish?

Old August 7th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ed[_1_]

Replaced the booster, and the master cylinder, adjusted back shoes and
replaced front pads.
About 1 out of 10 stops give me an extra requirement to push a little harder
on the brake. At that time the antilock weakly kicks in some but I do manage
to stop. I had some trouble bleeding the system wiht a sluggish bleeder
scrw which I now have to use an easy out on I guess, but I think I am just
down to a good bleed job and I should be ok.