HELP: TT VS. FIREBIRD

Old November 28th 04, 06:47 AM
Mickey

Default HELP: TT VS. FIREBIRD

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??

on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
coupe...

which is a better car ???

thanks you in advance
Mickey.

Old November 28th 04, 12:00 PM
Steve68s

"Mickey" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
> firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
> GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
> types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
> TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??
>
> on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
> coupe...
>

> which is a better car ???
>
> thanks you in advance
> Mickey.

Take 3 things into account,

1. Audi is German,
2. Firebird is GM,
3. TT is nice car,

Steve.

Old November 28th 04, 12:06 PM
Terje Johan Abrahamsen

"Mickey" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
> firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
> GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
> types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
> TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??
>
> on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
> coupe...
>

> which is a better car ???

Depends. I guess you will get more girls at the local trailer park in a
Firebird.... And, the TT has less headroom tailored for mullets....

Old November 28th 04, 12:26 PM
Pete

"Mickey" wrote
> Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the
> 1998 firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS
> BABY GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are
> three basic types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and
> "firebird" IS THIS TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the
> "FIREBIRD" has??

Uhh... 200hp V6 and 305hp V8. You'll find the rest of the specs at
http://autos.msn.com or if you just use google.

> on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
> coupe...
>

> which is a better car ???

And what does "better" mean to you? For straight on acceleration get
the V8 trans am. For crisp handling in the corners get the TT. Really,
these are two very different cars with very obvious differences. Drive
them both and I'm sure you'll notice. Besides an '01 TTQ 225hp costs
twice as much as a '98 Trans Am, so why are you even comparing these
two??

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 28th 04, 09:08 PM
Doug Haseltine

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:47:08 +0200, Mickey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
> firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
> GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
> types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
> TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??
>
> on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
> coupe...
>

> which is a better car ???

My last car was a '96 Firebird Formula, now I'm in a '02 A6.
With the Formula the quality certainly was questionable:
fit/finish was poor, I was constantly replacing window motors
or headlight motors. On the bright side, if you're interested
in performance, there's much more of an aftermarket for the
Firebird. Add frame stiffeners, a roll bar and thicker
anti-sway bars, along with replacement shocks, springs and
wheels and brakes and you can get better handling than most
imported sportscars. And with some new heads, a little engine
work and a supercharger and some tuning, you can bump the
horsepower up to well over 500RWHP. But when done, you would
still have to replace the lower quality GM parts occasionally,
along with any parts stressed by the higher horsepower (GM
rear differentials are notoriously weak). And you would have
spent considerably more than the price of a TT. But for pure
fun factor, I'd still vote for the Formula.

Old November 28th 04, 09:54 PM
daytripper

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:47:08 +0200, "Mickey" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
>firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
>GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
>types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
>TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??
>
>on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
>coupe...
>

>which is a better car ???
>
>thanks you in advance
>Mickey.

Nice troll.
Old November 30th 04, 12:40 AM
Archie

"Mickey" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me which is better to buy - on one hand there's the 1998
> firebird coupe (CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER DOES THIS BABY
> GOT???? AND IT'S PERFORMANCE FROM 0-60.. i was told there are three basic
> types of firebird: "trans am"..."formula".....and "firebird" IS THIS
> TRUE?? if so than how much Horse power does the "FIREBIRD" has??
>
> on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
> coupe...
>

> which is a better car ???
>
> thanks you in advance
> Mickey.

Simply ask yourself if you'd like a piece of crap that's expensive to
fix, or a piece of crap that's cheap to fix?
Old December 5th 04, 07:16 PM
Chuck

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Chuck
om...

Old December 6th 04, 04:37 AM
Steve Grauman

The Firbird was offered in several trim levels in 1998:

Firebird V6
Firebird Formula
Firebird Trans Am
Firebird Trans Am WS6

The Firebird Formula had the Trans Am's V8, but weighed less, making it
slightly quicker. However it also lacked many of the T/A's upgraded interior
features. The WS6 model added a Ram-Air system to the V8 engine and upped power
to 330Hp. It was slightly less than that, about 305Hp, in earlier model years.
WS6 models had a "double deck" ram air hood. 330 Horsepower, WS6 T/A's could
run 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds with the Formula Firebird running slightly less,
owing to fewer ponies. A high school friend had a WS6 T/A 6-Speed with the
Hurst Shifter, it was fun in a straight line, but had a horrible interior.

>on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
>>> coupe...
>>>

>>> which is a better car ???

Car and Driver tested out a 225 horspower TT Cabriolet with 6-speed and
produced a 6.3 second 0-60 time, leading me to believe that the coupe should be
competant to do it in 6.0 seconds flat. This is about a half second slower than
the T/A WS6 but that gap can be nearly eliminated by simply chipping the TT.
APR says their chip for the 225 TT gets horsepower up to 257 and torque up to
263 ft. lbs. The heavier B5 S4 could manage a 5.5 second 0-60 run on 250 Hp and
255 Ft. Lbs. so I imagine the TT should match or beat that time. The Audi will
also have far better material quality and a much nicer interior. I'd take the
Audi.
Steve Grauman