1983 325i general info?

Old December 30th 04, 06:59 AM

Default 1983 325i general info?

Friend told me tonight that HIS friend who hobby-restores BMWs might
have "the perfect car" for me. It's a 1983 BMW 325i, which I take it is
one of the smaller models. It will take a couple of months for the
restoration; apparently the price will be between $2500 (mechanically
sound) and $3500 (mechanically sound and beautiful).

I know NOTHING about BMWs, except they are responsive and powerful. Any
comments/suggestions/things to watch out for?

(Gosh, a car less than 30 years old! Imagine!)
V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Old December 30th 04, 02:49 PM
Somebody

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Friend told me tonight that HIS friend who hobby-restores BMWs might
> have "the perfect car" for me. It's a 1983 BMW 325i, which I take it is
> one of the smaller models. It will take a couple of months for the
> restoration; apparently the price will be between $2500 (mechanically
> sound) and $3500 (mechanically sound and beautiful).
>
> I know NOTHING about BMWs, except they are responsive and powerful. Any
> comments/suggestions/things to watch out for?
>
> (Gosh, a car less than 30 years old! Imagine!)

Is that '83 an E21 or an E30? Both were available in that year depending
where you live.

Unless you're a fan of the E21, you're probably better off with the newer
E30 style 1984-1991. The E21 is definately reponsive but not especially
powerful, and the E30 is a much improved version of it while still having
that minimalist sporting car feel that the newer cars have lost. But most
importantly it's a *lot* easier to get parts for.

Most 1983 3 series cars are E30s. You should be able to find a mechanically
sound 1988 to 1991 325i for $2500 without much trouble, and it's a pretty
nice machine, will be in better shape, and has some improved features over
the very early E30s. However, if that $2500 buys you a perfectly sorted
car, it may not be a bad purchase, because sorting out a used car can cost
some bucks.

-Russ.

Old December 30th 04, 05:31 PM
Neil

"Somebody" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > Did the E21 come as a 325i? In the UK market at least, I recall the

315,
> > 316, 320(i?), and 323i. I did occasionally see an early E30 323i which

> > always imagined came with left over 2.3 engines from the E21.

> > I could be wrong, but wasn't the US market limited to the E21 320i,

apart
> > from any private imports?

> Hmm, there were 6 cylinder engines, i think the 323 was one, but I don't
> think there was even a 325 E21 actaully. So, good point. We're looking

at
> an E30 then.

According to the first website I found with E30 model history, the 325
didn't come along until 1985.
http://www.bmwsport.net/content/view/101/69/

So I'm curious now if the OPs car is actually a 323 from 1983 or a 325 from
1985.

> > My personal preference is for the late model E30s with the smaller

> bumpers,
> > although I have read of owners replacing the original "diving boards" of
> > early E30s.

> Well, a 1983 325 would be an eta, yuk. 121HP. Much better a 1987 or

newer
> 325i that would be 168HP. Also early models had rear drum brakes, yuk
> again.
>
> Bumpers... well some don't like them, personally I don't mind them on my

iX.
> http://www.russdoucet.com/bimmertech/ix-winter/iX(006).jpg But styling is
> relative. You can fit newer bumpers on the 88's but the 87's have the

wrong
> taillights and look a little odd.

<snip>

I suspect the diving boards are very practical in the snow, when you're more
likely to be hit by someone who doesn't have a beautifully handling iX...
;-)

I seem to recall reading an article where an owner was able to push their
diving boards inwards a little to improve the appearance, as they weren't
able to fit the newer plastic bumpers. Perhaps this was an 87 or earlier.

I love the snowy iX action shots. Really makes me want to pick up a 4-door
5-speed iX.

Old December 31st 04, 03:29 PM
dave

Somebody wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Friend told me tonight that HIS friend who hobby-restores BMWs might
>>have "the perfect car" for me. It's a 1983 BMW 325i, which I take it is
>>one of the smaller models. It will take a couple of months for the
>>restoration; apparently the price will be between $2500 (mechanically
>>sound) and $3500 (mechanically sound and beautiful).
>>
>>I know NOTHING about BMWs, except they are responsive and powerful. Any
>>comments/suggestions/things to watch out for?
>>
>>(Gosh, a car less than 30 years old! Imagine!)

> Is that '83 an E21 or an E30? Both were available in that year depending
> where you live.
>
> Unless you're a fan of the E21, you're probably better off with the newer
> E30 style 1984-1991. The E21 is definately reponsive but not especially
> powerful, and the E30 is a much improved version of it while still having
> that minimalist sporting car feel that the newer cars have lost. But most
> importantly it's a *lot* easier to get parts for.
>
> Most 1983 3 series cars are E30s. You should be able to find a mechanically
> sound 1988 to 1991 325i for $2500 without much trouble, and it's a pretty
> nice machine, will be in better shape, and has some improved features over
> the very early E30s. However, if that $2500 buys you a perfectly sorted
> car, it may not be a bad purchase, because sorting out a used car can cost
> some bucks.
>
> -Russ.

that was good advice from russ, i got my 88 325is for $2500CAN.(plus
mine came with spare cyl head, brand new body kit,spares galore fuel
pumps, fan clutch,instr cluster etc etc... , mechanically mint(high
mileage, but all service records avail since birth and
maintained)...surface rust lower doors, front fender...will take about
another $3-500 or so to make it look good next spring including
paint...but i've been driving trouble free, read$$$ free, for 9 months
now(1 oil change, due for second soon)
I'd stay with e30 as russ said but i think u are still paying way too
much...i'd look at paying $1250-1650 tops, check its history, verify all
records...last timing belt,water pump, starter,alternator, air
working,regular month stuff, etc.etc etc,,,and use anything to lower
price...cause if it ain't been done, you'll be doing it...cheers dave

Old December 31st 04, 09:12 PM

Somebody wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Friend told me tonight that HIS friend who hobby-restores BMWs

might
> > have "the perfect car" for me. It's a 1983 BMW 325i, which I take

it is
> > one of the smaller models. It will take a couple of months for the
> > restoration; apparently the price will be between $2500

(mechanically
> > sound) and $3500 (mechanically sound and beautiful).
> >
> > I know NOTHING about BMWs, except they are responsive and powerful.

Any
> > comments/suggestions/things to watch out for?
> >
> > (Gosh, a car less than 30 years old! Imagine!)

> Is that '83 an E21 or an E30? Both were available in that year

depending
> where you live.
>
> Unless you're a fan of the E21, you're probably better off with the

newer
> E30 style 1984-1991. The E21 is definately reponsive but not

especially
> powerful, and the E30 is a much improved version of it while still

having
> that minimalist sporting car feel that the newer cars have lost. But

most
> importantly it's a *lot* easier to get parts for.

I will have to ask. I have been corrected: it is a 320i not a 325i (and
it is a 1983).

I'm not specifically looking for an old BMW, but the person doing the
rebuild does them regularly and thinks this would be a good car for me
(my requirements are simple: small, powerful, good handling.)

> Most 1983 3 series cars are E30s. You should be able to find a

mechanically
> sound 1988 to 1991 325i for $2500 without much trouble, and it's a

pretty
> nice machine, will be in better shape, and has some improved features

over
> the very early E30s. However, if that $2500 buys you a perfectly

sorted
> car, it may not be a bad purchase, because sorting out a used car can

cost
> some bucks.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. The point of buying this
particular vehicle is that it will have been sorted, otherwise I would
not consider it, as a major reason for getting a "new" car would be
soundness. I don't drive the current feature out of rescue range at the
moment: basically 20 miles in any direction.) So not only is the price
attractive, the concept of something I could take on a serious weekend
trip is very appealing.

Thanks so much!

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Old January 4th 05, 06:43 PM
Somebody

"Neil" > wrote in message
>> > http://www.russdoucet.com/bimmertech/ix-winter/iX(006).jpg But styling

is
> > relative. You can fit newer bumpers on the 88's but the 87's have the

> wrong
> > taillights and look a little odd.
> >

> <snip>
>
> I suspect the diving boards are very practical in the snow, when you're

more
> likely to be hit by someone who doesn't have a beautifully handling iX...
> ;-)
>
> I seem to recall reading an article where an owner was able to push their
> diving boards inwards a little to improve the appearance, as they weren't
> able to fit the newer plastic bumpers. Perhaps this was an 87 or earlier.

People drill, drain, and pin the bumper shocks to bring them in quite a bit.
I think you are asking for a world of hurt in a bumper tag incident if the
insurance company finds out you did that, surely it has the potential for
very significant increase in damage from such an event.

Plastic bumpers do fit, just don't match all that well. Even with the 88
and on cars, a small amount of modification is required, but they look
perfect afterwards on those ones.

> I love the snowy iX action shots. Really makes me want to pick up a

4-door
> 5-speed iX.

I really want to get some full out action shots kicking up snow from all 4
tires, but it takes a lot of things to come together to set that up. Those
shots I just wanted to make use of the sunlight lighting up the results of
an ice storm we had just had.

I love the iX, I don't want another car. Not sure what I'll do when it
eventually dies.

-Russ.

1988 iX 337,500km and counting.