J-44298 Air Bag Removal Tool - Where?

Old May 28th 05, 04:01 PM
Shawn

Default J-44298 Air Bag Removal Tool - Where?

I need to purchase a J-44298 "Air Bag Removal Tool" in order to pull
the steering wheel off my 2001 Impala. I haven't been able to locate
it at the KD Tools sites I normally go to online, nor the Kent Moore
equivalent.

Does anyone know where I might find one of these, or a similar
eqivalent?

Thanks!
Old May 28th 05, 11:45 PM
shiden_kai

Shawn wrote
> I need to purchase a J-44298 "Air Bag Removal Tool" in order to pull
> the steering wheel off my 2001 Impala. I haven't been able to locate
> it at the KD Tools sites I normally go to online, nor the Kent Moore
> equivalent.
>
> Does anyone know where I might find one of these, or a similar
> eqivalent?

I don't think you will find one of those easily...other then
thru a dealership...and you would have to know someone
in order to borrow it.

Ian

Old May 29th 05, 12:01 AM
snapon3

"Shawn" > wrote in message
>I need to purchase a J-44298 "Air Bag Removal Tool" in order to pull
> the steering wheel off my 2001 Impala. I haven't been able to locate
> it at the KD Tools sites I normally go to online, nor the Kent Moore
> equivalent.
>
> Does anyone know where I might find one of these, or a similar
> eqivalent?
>
> Thanks!

Snap-on part number KTMJ44298-A. $71.59 ea.

Either from a dealer or online at www.snapon.com

Good Luck

Old May 29th 05, 09:18 PM
Amigocabal

LET DEALER OR PROFESSIONALS DO IT, IT'S DEADLY, AIRBAG SYSTEM CAN KILL
YOU!!!

IN FACT ILLEGAL FOR MOST DEALERS SO REMOVE AT A REPAIR SHOP, AS DEALERS
USUALLY REFUSE

Old May 30th 05, 06:05 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Amigocabal wrote:

> LET DEALER OR PROFESSIONALS DO IT, IT'S DEADLY, AIRBAG SYSTEM CAN KILL
> YOU!!!

As long as correct procedures are followed, there's no reason to fear
injury during air bag system service. It's not complex or difficult to do
it right -- you just have to follow the instructions in the service
manual.

> IN FACT ILLEGAL FOR MOST DEALERS SO REMOVE AT A REPAIR SHOP, AS DEALERS
> USUALLY REFUSE

There are many different reasons why a shop (dealer or otherwise) would
remove an airbag, all of them legal. What's not legal is for a shop
(dealer or otherwise) to leave the bag uninstalled, unless the vehicle
owner has a permission letter from the nannies at NHTSA.
Old May 30th 05, 10:01 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Amigocabal" > wrote in message
. ..
> LET DEALER OR PROFESSIONALS DO IT, IT'S DEADLY, AIRBAG SYSTEM CAN KILL
> YOU!!!

Sure, if you don't disconnect the battery. Without power the airbag can't
deploy.

Ted

Old May 31st 05, 05:49 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> "Amigocabal" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > LET DEALER OR PROFESSIONALS DO IT, IT'S DEADLY, AIRBAG SYSTEM CAN KILL
> > YOU!!!
> >

> Sure, if you don't disconnect the battery. Without power the airbag can't
> deploy.

Don't think that simply disconnecting the battery will de-energize an
airbag system. Most have some method of storing a charge (in the event
the accident cuts battery power) and can still discharge for quite some
time. Follow the manufacturer's procedures.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students.
Old June 1st 05, 12:37 PM
Steve Cook

TOP POST!!!
All you need is a couple of pocket screwdrivers and some patience to get
it out I do it all the time...Also you can trip an air bag using just a
multimeter....Was at a dealer training session where they showed
us....Disconnect the battery waite about 3-5 mins for the modules to go
into sleep mode..Then Unplug the airbag from under the dash ...Then you
should have no probems...Air bags are not mandatory...At least not here
in Tx you can take them all out and still pass inspection...Not like
with the seatbelts which are manditory....
S Cook
J-44298 Air Bag Removal Tool - Where?

Group: rec.autos.tech Date: Mon, May 30, 2005, 9:49pm (CDT-2) From:
(Paul=A0Hovnanian=A0P.E.)
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
"Amigocabal" > wrote in message
. ..
LET DEALER OR PROFESSIONALS DO IT, IT'S DEADLY, AIRBAG SYSTEM CAN KILL
YOU!!!
Sure, if you don't disconnect the battery. Without power the airbag
can't deploy.
Don't think that simply disconnecting the battery will de-energize an
airbag system. Most have some method of storing a charge (in the event
the accident cuts battery power) and can still discharge for quite some
time. Follow the manufacturer's procedures.
--
Paul Hovnanian =A0 =A0
Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students.