Where Did Everyone Go?

Old February 25th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Default Where Did Everyone Go?

I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
if the ISP not offering Usenet access is the culprit or if the air-cooled
hobby dropped off that much?

--
DAN MEDINA
"timmyboy" > wrote in message
On Feb 21, 10:26 am, KWW > wrote:
> Funkie wrote:
> > I still have and support "ramva.org". That's a bit of promotion.

> > Occasionally I get asked how to connect to this newsgroup. I reply and
> > do
> > what I can to support the community.

> I still occasionally pop in to RAMVA. Problem has been that my previous
> ISP changed newsgroup server specs a few times, and work banned anything
> but Lotus Bloats .... but I finally have a new stable, non-Time-W ISP
> and rebuilt my PC, so hopefully I will see lots more of y'all.
> KWW
> 65 Beetle - Inside Out Cow
> 64 Beetle

I, too, still lurk from time to time. I have the Time-W service, so I
use google groups. Man, the group activity now is nothing like it used
to be 9 years ago! I'm not complaining- it was too hard to keep up
back then.

Tim

Old February 25th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Funkie" > wrote in message
>I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
>if the ISP not offering Usenet access is the culprit or if the air-cooled
>hobby dropped off that much?

internet forums are killing Usenet... but they have their advantages, like
banning of lowlife scum...

Old February 26th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Funkie wrote:
> I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
> if the ISP not offering Usenet access is the culprit or if the air-cooled
> hobby dropped off that much?

The newfangled web based forums with their graphics and pictures and all
the other jazz lured people away from our beloved text-based forum
Old March 20th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

On 26 Feb, 00:28, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> Funkie wrote:
> > I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
> > if the ISP not offering Usenet access is the culprit or if the air-cooled
> > hobby dropped off that much?

> The newfangled web based forums with their graphics and pictures and all
> the other jazz lured people away from our beloved text-based forum

Hey group, nice to see some familiar names still around

Sadly none of my ISPs have offered Newsgroup access for the last
couple of years, we just have to keep out fingers crossed Google keeps
supporting it...

As an update, I still have my '66 1300, but it's no longer used as a
daily driver. Currently in hibernation in a nice, warm, cosy garage
until the summer. I sold my daily driver '75 1303S last Jan, and
decided to have a bit of a change so bought a '79 Triumph Dolomite
Sprint! So I still get a chance to keep my fingers oily

I guess my '66 never, ever goes wrong, but that's mainly due to the
help and support I've had from RAMVA over the years

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...0883Medium.jpg
Old March 20th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

Howard Rose wrote:
> On 26 Feb, 00:28, Jan Andersson >
> wrote:
>> Funkie wrote:
>>> I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
>>> if the ISP not offering Usenet access is the culprit or if the air-cooled
>>> hobby dropped off that much?

>> The newfangled web based forums with their graphics and pictures and all
>> the other jazz lured people away from our beloved text-based forum

> Hey group, nice to see some familiar names still around
>
> Sadly none of my ISPs have offered Newsgroup access for the last
> couple of years, we just have to keep out fingers crossed Google keeps
> supporting it...

see supernews.com

Not at all expensive. Very reliable. And it crosses all borders.

> http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...0883Medium.jpg

Ah, beautiful!

Old March 20th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:57:51 +0100, John J > wrote:

> Howard Rose wrote:
>> On 26 Feb, 00:28, Jan Andersson >
>> wrote:
>>> The newfangled web based forums with their graphics and pictures and
>>> all
>>> the other jazz lured people away from our beloved text-based forum

>> Hey group, nice to see some familiar names still around
>> Sadly none of my ISPs have offered Newsgroup access for the last
>> couple of years, we just have to keep out fingers crossed Google keeps
>> supporting it...

> see supernews.com
>
> Not at all expensive. Very reliable. And it crosses all borders.
>
>> http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...0883Medium.jpg

> Ah, beautiful!

'Newsgroups at news.motzarella.org'
Totally free and works great. You do need to register once, but you can spoof it via any webmail service or one of those use-once addys if sceptical.

J.

Old March 21st 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> Hey group, nice to see some familiar names still around
>
> Sadly none of my ISPs have offered Newsgroup access for the last
> couple of years, we just have to keep out fingers crossed Google keeps
> supporting it...
>
> As an update, I still have my '66 1300, but it's no longer used as a
> daily driver. Currently in hibernation in a nice, warm, cosy garage
> until the summer. I sold my daily driver '75 1303S last Jan, and
> decided to have a bit of a change so bought a '79 Triumph Dolomite
> Sprint! So I still get a chance to keep my fingers oily
>
> I guess my '66 never, ever goes wrong, but that's mainly due to the
> help and support I've had from RAMVA over the years
>
> http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...0883Medium.jpg

Good to see you, Mr. Rose.

Old March 21st 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

I'm still around, even though I drove myself over the edge finally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJnRJooJ3k8

Les
Old March 21st 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> I'm still around, even though I drove myself over the edge finally...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJnRJooJ3k8
>
> Les

really nice Les!... I wonder if I'm the only one that wants to see you go
the other way at the falls? LOL

Old March 21st 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

Project Magnet #1 wrote:
> I'm still around, even though I drove myself over the edge finally...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJnRJooJ3k8

You got a roll-bar in there? My brother, Chris in Colrado, is a
rock-climbing fanatic. I tried it years ago in a CJ7 with a 401V8.
Exploded the clutch. Literally. Just because it bolted right up up
didn't mean it was gonna work.

BTW - OT, but I am buying Butcher Boy back next month.

http://www.digoliardi.net/butcher.jpg