Help please, Brake Problem with 99 Dodge Caravan

Old January 5th 05, 11:56 PM
Swatmedic5

Default Help please, Brake Problem with 99 Dodge Caravan

I have a 1999 Dodge grand caravan which is excessively using brake
pads.

The pads are lasting about 8-12,000 miles before they are gone on the
drivers front. I have replaced the caliper on that side also. I am
using durlast pads from auto zone. I am seeing excessive brake dust on
the front, but have no pulling or problems stopping. The rotors have
also been changed.

The only thing else that comes to mind is excessive use but I have been
married to wife for 10 years and she is not a "brake hog". Any ideas?

Also on a side note, where can I get the keepers, little metal locking
washers that break when you take them off, that hold the rotor on the
axle? I tried auto zone and no luck there.

Old January 6th 05, 12:47 AM
Whoever

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Swatmedic5 wrote:

> Also on a side note, where can I get the keepers, little metal locking
> washers that break when you take them off, that hold the rotor on the
> axle? I tried auto zone and no luck there.

You don't need to replace them. They are there to make assembly easier at
the factory.

Old January 6th 05, 12:47 AM
Whoever

Old January 6th 05, 01:38 AM
aarcuda69062

In article
. com>,
"Swatmedic5" > wrote:

> I have a 1999 Dodge grand caravan which is excessively using brake
> pads.
>
> The pads are lasting about 8-12,000 miles before they are gone on the
> drivers front. I have replaced the caliper on that side also. I am
> using durlast pads from auto zone. I am seeing excessive brake dust on
> the front, but have no pulling or problems stopping. The rotors have
> also been changed.
>
> The only thing else that comes to mind is excessive use but I have been
> married to wife for 10 years and she is not a "brake hog". Any ideas?

1) make certain that the slides on the knuckle where the pads
ride are free of rust, cleaned down to bare metal, then lube with
the appropriate brake grease. Same goes for the bushings and pins.
2) The rear wheel cylinders have seized up, the fronts are doing
all the braking.
3) Don't over fill the master cylinder, the fluid needs somewhere
to expand to when it gets hot.

> Also on a side note, where can I get the keepers, little metal locking
> washers that break when you take them off, that hold the rotor on the
> axle? I tried auto zone and no luck there.

You don't really need to replace them, but I get them at my local
Ace Hardware, they're in the "Hilman" brand hardware assortment
drawers. Our Sears hardware has them also
Old January 6th 05, 01:38 AM
aarcuda69062

In article
. com>,

Old January 6th 05, 11:08 AM
damnnickname

After market pads? try using a mopar brand, Also if you work in the city
and are constantly stopping and going, run a paper route? And those clips
you are refering to are just for assemble line purposes, they keep the
rotors from falling off as the vehicle moves down the line. But if you are
concerned about the time length of the pads. I would try a Chrysler set,
they are about 65 buck if you ask for the Victor Chrysler remans
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 6th 05, 12:09 PM
jdoe

Try the brake hoses. They can swell inside.
Larry
ups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 12:09 PM
jdoe

Old January 11th 05, 01:55 AM
John_F

Your wheel cylinders are not retracting correctly.
possible causes:
1 Stickey wheel cylinder pistons.
2 valve in master cylinder swelled from contaminated brake fluid.
3 master cylinder booster push rod miss adjusted which will not allow
pressure to bleed off.
4 wrong or contaminated brake fluid.
5 brake hoses swelled by contaminated fluid.
6 rust in brake piston bore causing piston to not correctly retract.