96 cherokee coolant leak

Old August 8th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
gcdenis

Default 96 cherokee coolant leak

i got my cherokee to a dealer today and they told me what was wrong with my
jeep. they said its radiator is clogged, i need a new thermostat for it,
and i need a flush. they quoted me an outrageous price. $200 for the
radiator plus labor and $129 for a flush are 2 that stick out.

am i being ripped off?
i've heard '96 cherokee's radiators are a pain to get in is that why they
would be charging me $500+?

Old August 8th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> If the radiator is 'clogged' you probably need more than a flush but
> as far a pricing goes a flush-n-fill kit is $5, the flush solution
> $5, and the thermostat $10.
>
> That gives you $20 in materials and $480 for about an hour's labor.
>
> Sounds like typical dealership charge to me <g>

Yep. The labor rate and time alloted to each task is fixed.

For 500$ you could get a new aluminium radiator from radiatorbarn.com
and still have money left over.

As for cleaning it, call around to radiator shops.

You should find yourself a good local auto shop. There is nothing
magical about dealerships.

As for difficulty, dunno. The ZJ requires you take out the fan
and shroud then it's realy easy to pop out the radiator.
http://revbeergoggles.com/hb/
I had the radiator out when the harmonic balancer needed replacement.

Old August 8th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I just pulled a Cherokee rad out. It took less than a half hour and I
am disabled, not able to turn a wrench well at all.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 12th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

You mean BSAs (AKA "the BSA Drip").

http://www.billhughes.com/

--

This website supports what I thought would be true, So It Must Be
(tm).” David Winsemius willingly creates an anti-motto at room
Old August 12th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

gcdenis wrote:
> i got my cherokee to a dealer today and they told me what was wrong with my
> jeep. they said its radiator is clogged, i need a new thermostat for it,
> and i need a flush. they quoted me an outrageous price. $200 for the
> radiator plus labor and $129 for a flush are 2 that stick out.
>
> am i being ripped off?
> i've heard '96 cherokee's radiators are a pain to get in is that why they
> would be charging me $500+?

The local Midas shop put a new after market radiator in my `96 Cherokee
for $400.