vauxhall cavalier 1.8 fan not cutting in.

Old July 20th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
woodys

Default vauxhall cavalier 1.8 fan not cutting in.

Hi im new to this,can anybody help me with this problem??.I have a L reg
cavalier,it drives fine but the fan just wont cut in,and when in traffic temp
goes very high,once i get going again temp comes down to normal.Any help
please.
Old July 20th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article <638864cb39f10@uwe>, woodys <u24317@uwe> wrote:
>Hi im new to this,can anybody help me with this problem??.I have a L reg
>cavalier,it drives fine but the fan just wont cut in,and when in traffic temp
>goes very high,once i get going again temp comes down to normal.Any help
>please.

The fan has a thermal switch in series with it. Find the thermal switch.
Make sure there is electricity to the switch, and make sure the fan comes
on when the switch is bypassed with a wire.

It's either the wiring, the switch, or the motor. If the motor cannot be
turned by hand, that's a strong indication of a motor issue.
Old July 20th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
woodys

Thankyou for that i know the basics,but anthing more than that im stumped.

Old July 20th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article <6389e24bffbe7@uwe>, woodys <u24317@uwe> wrote:
>Thankyou for that i know the basics,but anthing more than that im stumped.

Well, what voltage are you seeing on the motor with a meter? Have you traced
the wire from the motor back to the switch yet?
--scott

Old July 21st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
woodys via CarKB.com

Havnt even got a meter,but motor turns,have got someone to look at it in the
morning.Many thanks.

Old July 21st 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article <638d040b85cdf@uwe>, woodys via CarKB.com <u24317@uwe> wrote:
>Havnt even got a meter,but motor turns,have got someone to look at it in the
>morning.Many thanks.

So take a tail light out and get a piece of wire and bridge it across the
motor terminals. Does it light up?
--scott