Jeep Cherokee Radiator Drain Valve Leak

Old May 11th 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Jeep Cherokee Radiator Drain Valve Leak

I own a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I am trying everything to not get
rid of it. I love the car to death but I'm putting in more than it's
worth. My latest of problems is that the petcock/drain valve on the
radiator leaks coolant as if it weren't there. I have tried tightening
it but that didn't stop it from leaking. The leak is from the center of
the plug. There is no leak around it. What I would like to know is what
would have caused this problem and if buying a new valve would fix it,
or, just putting a bolt of some sort with the same threading, or, using
some sort of substance to seal the hole on the valve such as a strong
form of putty or something. I would go a head and just plug the hole
but I'd like to know what caused it and if it is safe to do so. Thanks
in advance.

Michael

Old May 11th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mikelbri wrote:
> I own a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I am trying everything to not get
> rid of it. I love the car to death but I'm putting in more than it's
> worth. My latest of problems is that the petcock/drain valve on the
> radiator leaks coolant as if it weren't there. I have tried tightening
> it but that didn't stop it from leaking. The leak is from the center of
> the plug. There is no leak around it. What I would like to know is what
> would have caused this problem and if buying a new valve would fix it,
> or, just putting a bolt of some sort with the same threading, or, using
> some sort of substance to seal the hole on the valve such as a strong
> form of putty or something. I would go a head and just plug the hole
> but I'd like to know what caused it and if it is safe to do so. Thanks
> in advance.

If you can't find a new valve try using silicone on the threads.

Old May 11th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mikelbri wrote: '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Petcock/drain valve on the radiator leaks coolant as if it
weren't there. I tried tightening it but that didn't stop
the leak. It leaks from the center of the plug. There is
no leak around it. I would like to know the cause of
the problem and if buying a new valve would fix it, or
just putting a bolt of some sort with the same thread,
or sealing the hole in the valve with a strong form of
putty or something. I would just plug the hole but I'd
like to know what caused it and if it is safe to do so.

The valve seat is probably corroded or deformed.

The petcock shaft must be screwed outward until
the valve seat inside the petcock valve assembly
seals. (You are screwing it outward, aren't you?).

Installing a new petcock valve assembly would fix it.

Replacing the petcock valve assembly with a threaded
brass plug would fix it.

Both methods are safe. The choice depends on your
expectation for future ease of draining.

Good luck.

Rodan.

inside the to

Old May 11th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the info. I had thought that that might be the case but I
just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the radiator
that would cause this problem. I'll probably end up using a brass plug
as I can just pull the bottom hose if I ever want to drain the
radiator. Thanks!

Old May 11th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If you're planning on rigging it instead of repairing it, the easiest
solution would be some JB Kwik weld. It's a quick dry epoxy product
that will solve many problems. It is permanent. I don't really like
rigging things if I don't have to, the drain valve is pretty easy to
replace.
But it's up to you how you want to solve the problem.

Old May 13th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Mikelbri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the info. I had thought that that might be the case but I
> just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the radiator
> that would cause this problem. I'll probably end up using a brass plug
> as I can just pull the bottom hose if I ever want to drain the
> radiator. Thanks!

If you have access a brass plug is much better than a petcock.

Ted

Old May 14th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Mikelbri" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Thanks for the info. I had thought that that might be the case but I
> > just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the radiator
> > that would cause this problem. I'll probably end up using a brass plug
> > as I can just pull the bottom hose if I ever want to drain the
> > radiator. Thanks!
> >

> If you have access a brass plug is much better than a petcock.

What if the radiator is plastic?

Old May 14th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Alan wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > "Mikelbri" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Thanks for the info. I had thought that that might be the case but I
> > > just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the radiator
> > > that would cause this problem. I'll probably end up using a brass plug
> > > as I can just pull the bottom hose if I ever want to drain the
> > > radiator. Thanks!
> > >

> > If you have access a brass plug is much better than a petcock.

> What if the radiator is plastic?

Most are these days. If that is the problem and the plastic nipple you
screw the drain into is split, well.... You then are looking at a new
rad. I have never seen any product that actually worked on the plastic,
especially a stress part like a fitting.

You could very likely get a replacement drain from the wreckers if it is
just a busted drain.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's