Cleaning Chrome Rims

Old January 13th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Cleaning Chrome Rims

Hello All - I just picked up some chrome rims that have some surface
rust. Does anyone have any good methods of cleaning these? Can you put
anything on them afterwards to help prevent further rusting? The
methods that I am aware of are steel wool to clean and wax to prevent
rust. I am just fishing around for other ways that might be better if
they exist. Thanks to everyone, this forum is full of great information.

Old January 13th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

macgraphics did pass the time by typing:
> Hello All - I just picked up some chrome rims that have some surface
> rust. Does anyone have any good methods of cleaning these? Can you put
> anything on them afterwards to help prevent further rusting? The
> methods that I am aware of are steel wool to clean and wax to prevent
> rust. I am just fishing around for other ways that might be better if
> they exist. Thanks to everyone, this forum is full of great information.

I've been fairly happy with what this flitz stuff has done.
http://www.flitz.com/
PepBoys/Autozone/etc carry the stuff. I picked up a tube at Steves Tools.

Tried it on a bunch of stuff. Some killer results, some ehhhh.

It has kept the oxidation off of some aluminum I polished so if it
can do that it can help keep rustbunnies off of chrome.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/filtz-radcap.jpg
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/flitz-pre-pulley.jpg
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/flitz-pulley.jpg

--
DougW

Old January 13th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Spend a day in the Sand Dunes:
http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/...ksgiving00.cfm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 13th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

naval jelly will remove alot of it, then you can use the steel wool less.

oups.com...

Old January 13th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wax is good too. If you have rust on chrome, what you actually have is
perforated chrome. You need to prevent water and air from getting to the
steel underneath. Although the iron phosphate formed from the application
of Naval Jelly and similar products is good protection, it is not perfect
protection. Also, although chrome is hard stuff, you can still scratch it.
Use the fine steel wool, or a mild automotive polish.

Earle