Civic Power Steering.

Old May 31st 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuckie Finzter[_2_]

Default Civic Power Steering.

Hi all,

Got an 2001 Civic with 65,000 on the clock, and up till now has been running
good. However, tonight the electric power steering had a glitch.

My lad is just learning to drive, and was doing a substantial amounts of
manoeuvring when all of a sudden the steering went real heavy. The wife
tells him to drive straight and see if it sorts itself out which it didn't,
so she took over and drove home with no PAS (I asked her if the warning lamp
on dash came on at any time, and no it didn't).

I went out got in and started the car and checked for warning lights (none)
and the steering worked ok, went for a drive this to went without a problem.

It sounds like the electric motor could be on the way out and therefore a
fault in the system, but why no warning indicated, or did it just get a bit
tired of the lock to lock turning?

Has anyone out there heard of problems with the electric power steering?

Cheers in advance.

CF

Old May 31st 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

I would first have the computer checked for error codes. There may be codes
that haven't failed enough to turn on the CEL.

Old May 31st 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

In addition it may have just over heated. Make sure you are teaching your
lad NOT to hold the steering at the full turn position. Back off when the
stop is reached if you want the steering to last.

Old June 2nd 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On May 31, 4:49*pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> In addition it may have just over heated. Make sure you are teaching your
> lad NOT to hold the steering at the full turn position. Back off when the
> stop is reached if you want the steering to last.
>
> "Chuckie Finzter" > wrote in message

> > Hi all,

> > Got an 2001 Civic with 65,000 on the clock, and up till now has been
> > running good. However, tonight the electric power steering had a glitch.

> > My lad is just learning to drive, and was doing a substantial amounts of
> > manoeuvring when all of a sudden the steering went real heavy. *The wife
> > tells him to drive straight and see if it sorts itself out which it
> > didn't, so she took over and drove home with no PAS (I asked her if the
> > warning lamp on dash came on at any time, and no it didn't).

> > I went out got in and started the car and checked for warning lights
> > (none) and the steering worked ok, went for a drive this to went without a
> > problem.

> > It sounds like the electric motor could be on the way out and therefore a
> > fault in the system, but why no warning indicated, or did it just get a
> > bit tired of the lock to lock turning?

> > Has anyone out there heard of problems with the electric power steering?

> > Cheers in advance.

> > CF- Hide quoted text -

And try Not to turn the steering while while the car is not moving.
Bg
Old June 2nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuckie Finzter[_2_]

Cheers Woody, I'll get the codes checked soon as. However, I suspect the
problem lies with the overheating and the full lock. I'll monitor the motor
for a bit to see what occurs.

Regards

CF

Old June 2nd 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuckie Finzter[_2_]

On May 31, 4:49 pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> In addition it may have just over heated. Make sure you are teaching your
> lad NOT to hold the steering at the full turn position. Back off when the
> stop is reached if you want the steering to last.
>
> "Chuckie Finzter" > wrote in message

> > Hi all,

> > Got an 2001 Civic with 65,000 on the clock, and up till now has been
> > running good. However, tonight the electric power steering had a glitch.

> > My lad is just learning to drive, and was doing a substantial amounts of
> > manoeuvring when all of a sudden the steering went real heavy. The wife
> > tells him to drive straight and see if it sorts itself out which it
> > didn't, so she took over and drove home with no PAS (I asked her if the
> > warning lamp on dash came on at any time, and no it didn't).

> > I went out got in and started the car and checked for warning lights
> > (none) and the steering worked ok, went for a drive this to went without
> > problem.

> > It sounds like the electric motor could be on the way out and therefore
> > fault in the system, but why no warning indicated, or did it just get a
> > bit tired of the lock to lock turning?

> > Has anyone out there heard of problems with the electric power steering?

> > Cheers in advance.

> > CF- Hide quoted text -

And try Not to turn the steering while while the car is not moving.
Bg

Yer, learner driver doing constant manoevers would cause a problem and
overheat the electric motors.
Cheers
CF