Are these blemishes on the block between the cylinders something to be concerned about?

Old June 5th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Doc

Default Are these blemishes on the block between the cylinders something to be concerned about?

You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
'89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
cylinders.

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg

They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
between cylincders or something else?

Old June 5th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"Doc" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
> '89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
> it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
> residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
> some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
> cylinders.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg
>

> They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
> finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
> between cylincders or something else?

If you are talking about the scratches in the block between the cylinders,
the manual should have a spec for acceptable variations in surface
smoothness. The marks almost look like the result of scraping gaskets
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old June 6th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

"Doc" wrote

> You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
> '89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
> it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
> residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
> some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
> cylinders.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg
>
> They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
> finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
> between cylincders or something else?

Some over-enthusiastic gasket "scraping" using a hammer and chisel?

Old June 6th 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ph@Boy

Doc wrote:
> You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
> '89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
> it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
> residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
> some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
> cylinders.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg
>

> They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
> finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
> between cylincders or something else?

Either we are looking at the surface of Mars, or like Ray and Master
said, someone did a really inconsiderate job of gasket scraping. I would
not be too concerned with them. Head gaskets do the majority of sealing
just around the outside of the bore. There is usually a metallic sealing
ring made in that area.
Old June 6th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Ouch!

That is really too bad. It sure looks like the head was dropped on it's
edge on top of the engine block. Those are nasty, nasty dents.

I do not believe you can seal that with a head gasket alone.

The block needs a resurface shave....

There 'might' be some kind of gasket maker that will hold compression
with a new head gasket, but I am not up on the newer chemical concoctions.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old June 6th 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Danny G.

"Doc" > wrote in message oups.com...
> You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
> '89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
> it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
> residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
> some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
> cylinders.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg
>

> They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
> finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
> between cylincders or something else?

Your not even close to done cleaning the top of that block yet.

Old June 6th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Doc

On Jun 6, 10:16 am, Mike Romain > wrote:

> The block needs a resurface shave....

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. I figure if it's deep
enough for me to feel with my finger and fingernail, it's deep enough
to cause a breach in the seal. By machining standards, that's like a
river bed.

Old June 6th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Doc

On Jun 6, 10:52 am, "Danny G." > wrote:

> Your not even close to done cleaning the top of that block yet.- Hide quoted text -

Believe me, it's clean. Several careful passes with a honed putty
knife between soakings in gasket remover, then several careful passes
with a razor blade. What you're seeing is the condition of the metal.
Those abrasions are deep enough to feel with my fingernail or my
fingertip.

Old June 6th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Kjun

Doc > wrote in news:1181076053.607079.277510
@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

> You may have seen my recent post regarding a head gasket issue on an
> '89 Cressida. The gasket wasn't outright broken but the machine said
> it showed signs of cross port intrusion. After cleaning the old gasket
> residue off this block preparing to put the surfaced head on I noticed
> some marks about the width of a pencil line between a few of the
> cylinders.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/A.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/B.jpg
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/marks/C.jpg
>

> They're more than just discoloration, I can just feel them with my
> finger. Anything to be concerned about? Is this evidence of firing
> between cylincders or something else?

looked at your jpg's...good resolution!......as far as the deck
condition: not bad at all really. now when you finally finish it for
fitting the head im sure it will seal fine...what im seeing in the
pictures is a half done deck job. after removing debris it needs a good
rotating disk (100 grit) to get it up to standrds....or pull it and send
it to the machine shop. they need the money too!
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

should i be concerned?? Jules BMW 4 March 26th 07 08:37 PM
I bought a new caravan but I'm still concerned about the tranny Homer[_1_] Dodge 8 August 7th 06 01:18 PM
AWA [OFFER] Clutch Kits, Master Cylinders,Slave Cylinders and more [email protected] General 0 April 11th 06 04:51 PM
Concerned Greggerex Ford Mustang 3 June 14th 05 05:51 PM
Ping: DS or anyone concerned with glare issues Nate Nagel Driving 28 December 20th 04 01:49 PM