additives for blown headgaskets

Old July 11th 05, 09:57 PM
rajp

Default additives for blown headgaskets

Are any worth it, or are they like weight loss pills?

Old July 11th 05, 10:12 PM
Don Bruder

In article . com>,
"rajp" > wrote:

> Are any worth it, or are they like weight loss pills?

With one minor difference, they're exactly like weight loss pills. The
one difference? Some weight loss pills actually perform as advertised.
Those would be the ones that require a prescription.

Things are similar for head gaskets. The only ones that work are those
that you get with a prescription. And the prescription when the
diagnosis is "blown head gasket" *ALWAYS* reads "New head gasket". Only
a quack prescribes an additive to treat a blown head gasket.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old July 11th 05, 11:04 PM

your kidding ?
if not replace it

Old July 12th 05, 12:01 AM
Frank Knight

Sometimes they can work. Block Seal in the copper and silver colored can at
Advance Auto, which does not mix with AF (have to completely clean all AF
out and rinse a couple of times) I have found is best, I have gotton life of
vehicle out of it. Sometimes, it is not only a headgasket. If a newer
vehicle, I would change, old beater, try the block sealer.
ups.com...

Old July 12th 05, 04:33 AM

rajp wrote:
> Are any worth it, or are they like weight loss pills?

>From what I researched, sometimes yes; sometimes no; sometimes screw up

the engine.
Some outfits have a tech come along with the product and manage the
process.
Anyway, the worst luck seems to be fixing exhaust gas leaks into the
cooling jacket, as you might expect, as the exhaust will blow the stuff
out of the leak, so you're supposed to pull the plug on that cylinder;
but then there's not as much heat to make the stuff harden in place.
As you might guess, better luck with coolant into cylinder type leaks,
for the opposite reasons of above.
And there's always the chance that it will sludge up the coolant
system; the manufacturers say it can't happen, but there's always some
reports.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying it as a last ditch attempt in a car
where the alternative was tossing it, but I think in a car I had hopes
of keeping I would just bite the bullet and pull the head.

Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 09:58 AM
Do Fuel Tank Additives (Techron) Work? Finite Guy Technology 2 December 23rd 04 01:48 AM
additives? griffin Jeep 7 December 3rd 04 11:08 AM
poll: additives? L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 11 December 2nd 04 12:54 AM