A4 oil change...

Old April 18th 05, 04:05 PM
Troy Bruder

Default A4 oil change...

My 2003 A4 just reached 50k miles... From now on, I'll be changing my own
oil.. I've always done this on my american cars... Is the A4 much
harder???

Troy

Old April 18th 05, 05:15 PM

Troy Bruder wrote:
> My 2003 A4 just reached 50k miles... From now on, I'll be changing

my own
> oil.. I've always done this on my american cars... Is the A4 much
> harder???

Nope. Have the right size socket for the drain plug (I have a
dedicated socket for this, and I can't recall the size - 18mm seems to
spring to mind) a filter wrench that fits your filter, and the proper
filter type. Don't get some cheapo dept. store filter, but go to
audiparts.com and get Mahle or Mann filters, and the proper size for
your car. Taking off the undercar tray is a pain, but a simple task.
I re-use the copper washer on the drain plug, but some folks replace it
every time. I figure if it leaks, I'll replace it. It hasn't yet, so
I won't.

Making sure you have good oil, the right filter, and the proper tools
make it a one-beer [1] DIY job.

HTH,

E.P.

[1] The length of time it takes to leisurely drink one beer. Also, the
amount of ethanol needed to calm the stress of a DIY project.

Old April 24th 05, 02:05 AM
Mark Silverman

I changed the oil on my new 2004 A4 at 5k, prior to the recommended dealer
interval of 10K. I'd warn you that the oil filter may be affixed too
tightly by the factory so have an appropriate oil filter removal tool handy.
Also, I got a bath of oil when I unscrewed the filter. Be prepared with
rags/some method of containing the spill.

Old June 28th 05, 04:50 PM
KWS

The first filter change I did on my 2000 1.8T was very difficult. I suspect
they have a trained gorilla with a mis-adjusted torque wrench at the Audi
dealership bolting these things on. I had to distort the hell out of the
filter before it would break loose.

After that, I have been screwing them hand tight and, surprise, they don't
leak. Also, when you change them again, they come off without too much
effort.

On my 1.8T I detach the coolant reservoir, disconnect the level sensor plug
and move that item out of the way. This makes for easy access to the filter.

Ken

Old July 4th 05, 05:07 PM
quattroA4cars

Ken, removing the coolant reservoir is great advice. That's what I do. One
additional thing to do is use a few of those plastic grocery bags and pull
them up around the oil filter. When removing the filter, any oil spillage
will be caught in the bags. Saves a big mess.

One other thing that I'm about to try is an oil vacuum. A friend has one for
his bmw. He never touches the drain plug. The vacuum goes into the dipstick
tube and you vacuum the oil out. No mess at all. He's even checked it once
to see that there was no noticeable oil left in the pan. He opened the drain
plug, and no noticeable oil came out. I think that's how the dealers are
doing it now.

"KWS" > wrote in message
> The first filter change I did on my 2000 1.8T was very difficult. I
> suspect
> they have a trained gorilla with a mis-adjusted torque wrench at the Audi
> dealership bolting these things on. I had to distort the hell out of the
> filter before it would break loose.
>
> After that, I have been screwing them hand tight and, surprise, they don't
> leak. Also, when you change them again, they come off without too much
> effort.
>
> On my 1.8T I detach the coolant reservoir, disconnect the level sensor
> plug
> and move that item out of the way. This makes for easy access to the
> filter.
>
> Ken
>

> "Mark Silverman" > wrote in message
>> I changed the oil on my new 2004 A4 at 5k, prior to the recommended
>> dealer
>> interval of 10K. I'd warn you that the oil filter may be affixed too
>> tightly by the factory so have an appropriate oil filter removal tool

> handy.
>> Also, I got a bath of oil when I unscrewed the filter. Be prepared with
>> rags/some method of containing the spill.
>>

>> "Troy Bruder" > wrote in message
>> > My 2003 A4 just reached 50k miles... From now on, I'll be changing my

> own
>> > oil.. I've always done this on my american cars... Is the A4 much
>> > harder???
>> >
>> > Troy

Oil Change for a 2001 Buick Century jarl Technology 16 July 21st 05 10:22 PM
Jeep transmission filter/fluid change Eve Howard Jeep 4 February 7th 05 03:50 AM
BMW-525I - oil change frequency AGIND BMW 29 December 19th 04 02:11 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM
THIS ADD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE jaman General 0 May 30th 04 07:05 PM