92 FORD EXPLORER HYDROPLANE PROBLEM AT 45 MPH OR MORE..

Old December 7th 04, 11:45 PM

Default 92 FORD EXPLORER HYDROPLANE PROBLEM AT 45 MPH OR MORE..

I ENJOY MY FORD EXPLORER AS ANY OTHER FORD EXPLORER OWNER WOULD TELL
YOU. MY ISSUE IS, WHEN IT RAINS, AND I GO PAST 45 MPH, FOR SOME ODD
REASON, THE TRUCK BEGINS TO HYDROPLANE.

TO MAKE SURE, I ASKED A FELLOW 92 FORD EXPLORER OWNER, AND HE AGREES TO
HAVE THE SAME HYDROPLANE ISSUE AT AROUND 45 MPH OR MORE.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, HAVE YOU FOUND A
SOLUTION?

I HAVE REPLACED THE SHOCKS AND ALSO HAD THE FACTORY TIRES CHECKED FOR
INTEGRITY. ALL UP TO PAR.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Old December 8th 04, 12:17 AM
Michael MacMahon

CAN YOU SPEAK UP? WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!

NOTE: All outgoing mail is scanned by McAfee Virus Scan for your safety.

Old December 8th 04, 12:30 AM
Searcher

He means turn off your CAPS, online its the equivilant of yelling.
Now, to your question: What brand,size and age are your tires? What brand
and age are your shocks?

Searcher1

ups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 02:33 AM
Jim Warman

Shocks just aren't going to have a bearing on hydroplaning... however, tire
pressure, tread design and tread depth have a lot to do. I prefer a M/S type
of tread. The depth should be no less than 3/32 and for some conditions,
that may not be enough. Additionally, I prefer to run my tires a litle
hard... 35 psi front and back.

ups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 03:07 AM
Big Shoe

"Factory Tires" on a '92??? Hydroplaning is usually due to badly
worn tires or bad tread design. More information is needed before
anyone can help here.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:33:53 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Shocks just aren't going to have a bearing on hydroplaning... however, tire
>pressure, tread design and tread depth have a lot to do. I prefer a M/S type
>of tread. The depth should be no less than 3/32 and for some conditions,
>that may not be enough. Additionally, I prefer to run my tires a litle
>hard... 35 psi front and back.

oups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 05:31 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Factory tires on a 92 means he should put on a helmet and install a roll bar
:O)

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old December 8th 04, 05:43 AM
Carlton Duke

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I ENJOY MY FORD EXPLORER AS ANY OTHER FORD EXPLORER OWNER WOULD TELL
> YOU. MY ISSUE IS, WHEN IT RAINS, AND I GO PAST 45 MPH, FOR SOME ODD
> REASON, THE TRUCK BEGINS TO HYDROPLANE.
>
> TO MAKE SURE, I ASKED A FELLOW 92 FORD EXPLORER OWNER, AND HE AGREES TO
> HAVE THE SAME HYDROPLANE ISSUE AT AROUND 45 MPH OR MORE.
>
> DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, HAVE YOU FOUND A
> SOLUTION?
>
> I HAVE REPLACED THE SHOCKS AND ALSO HAD THE FACTORY TIRES CHECKED FOR
> INTEGRITY. ALL UP TO PAR.
>
> PLEASE HELP !!!

Have you front end alignment checked. Bad toe-in or toe-out can cause
bad hydroplaning.
Old December 8th 04, 08:01 AM
Jim Warman

I would think that tire wear would become an issue long before any other
concern...

Old December 8th 04, 08:07 AM
Jim Warman

To me, factory tires indicated "factory size" tires. Anyone cruising around
on 14 year old tires are shaking the dice way too hard. Ground level ozone,
ultraviolet light, airborne contaminants (and the likelihood that a 13 year
old Ex is going to have enough miles on it to make the original tires rather
smooth) all exact their toll on rubber products (belts and hoses to a lesser
exent but stll applicable).

Some of you will get a chuckle... it's -30C and guess whose T-stat went
south 8^(...

Old December 9th 04, 05:02 AM
gordo

> wrote in message ups.com...
> I ENJOY MY FORD EXPLORER AS ANY OTHER FORD EXPLORER OWNER WOULD TELL
> YOU. MY ISSUE IS, WHEN IT RAINS, AND I GO PAST 45 MPH, FOR SOME ODD
> REASON, THE TRUCK BEGINS TO HYDROPLANE.
>
> TO MAKE SURE, I ASKED A FELLOW 92 FORD EXPLORER OWNER, AND HE AGREES TO
> HAVE THE SAME HYDROPLANE ISSUE AT AROUND 45 MPH OR MORE.
>
> DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, HAVE YOU FOUND A
> SOLUTION?
>
> I HAVE REPLACED THE SHOCKS AND ALSO HAD THE FACTORY TIRES CHECKED FOR
> INTEGRITY. ALL UP TO PAR.

TRY TO DRIVE AROUND THOSE BIG PUDDLES....NOT THROUGH THEM....... 8^P