Merge Beggars

Old July 23rd 05, 06:48 AM
Scott en Aztlán

Default Merge Beggars

It was an all-too-typical scene: idiot driver wants to merge, slows
down, turns on signal, and WAITS. There is a space in the adjacent
lane more than large enough for her to merge into, but still she
hesitates. Through the open window she begins giving hand signals to
the driver in the target lane, seeking assurance that he will actually
allow her to merge in. The other driver, probably dumbfounded at what
he is seeing, does not respond at first, so bimbo keeps up the
histrionics until finally the other driver waves her on. At long last
she completes her merge.

Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
precious minute stolen from their lives.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:51 PM
DYM

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> It was an all-too-typical scene: idiot driver wants to merge, slows
> down, turns on signal, and WAITS. There is a space in the adjacent
> lane more than large enough for her to merge into, but still she
> hesitates. Through the open window she begins giving hand signals to
> the driver in the target lane, seeking assurance that he will actually
> allow her to merge in. The other driver, probably dumbfounded at what
> he is seeing, does not respond at first, so bimbo keeps up the
> histrionics until finally the other driver waves her on. At long last
> she completes her merge.
>
> Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
> precious minute stolen from their lives.

I think I had a precious minute stolen reading that post.

Doug
Old July 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:51:52 GMT, DYM > wrote:

>> Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
>> precious minute stolen from their lives.

>I think I had a precious minute stolen reading that post.

I only wish killfiles would work against Sloths.

Old July 23rd 05, 05:41 PM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> It was an all-too-typical scene: idiot driver wants to merge, slows
> down, turns on signal, and WAITS. There is a space in the adjacent
> lane more than large enough for her to merge into, but still she
> hesitates. Through the open window she begins giving hand signals to
> the driver in the target lane, seeking assurance that he will actually
> allow her to merge in. The other driver, probably dumbfounded at what
> he is seeing, does not respond at first, so bimbo keeps up the
> histrionics until finally the other driver waves her on. At long last
> she completes her merge.
>
> Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
> precious minute stolen from their lives.

Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to change
lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 24th 05, 01:18 AM
Dave

Jim Yanik wrote:

> Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to change
> lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
> turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

I saw 5 Pepsi cars do that across two lanes after they pulled into the
lanes marked I-15 SOUTH ONLY. Apparently the large signs (there's more
than one) that say FREEWAY ONLY and I-15 S ONLY aren't enough, so they
stopped in the lanes of the ramp so they could get back out of those
lanes.

Happened here (Mira Mesa between Westview & I-15):
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.91...7522&t=k&hl=en
for reference.

I don't know how long they blocked the lanes, I used the shoulder to
get around them.

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 07:06 AM
brink

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to
>> change
>> lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
>> turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

> I saw 5 Pepsi cars do that across two lanes after they pulled into the
> lanes marked I-15 SOUTH ONLY.

pepsi cars?

brink

Old July 24th 05, 09:23 AM
Dave

brink wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Jim Yanik wrote:
> >
> >> Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to
> >> change
> >> lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
> >> turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

> > I saw 5 Pepsi cars do that across two lanes after they pulled into the
> > lanes marked I-15 SOUTH ONLY.

> pepsi cars?
>
> brink

Volkswagons (I think) covered with Pepsi logos, like a sales fleet or
something.

Dave

Old July 24th 05, 04:28 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On 23 Jul 2005 17:18:49 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>> Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to change
>> lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
>> turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

>I saw 5 Pepsi cars do that across two lanes after they pulled into the
>lanes marked I-15 SOUTH ONLY. Apparently the large signs (there's more
>than one) that say FREEWAY ONLY and I-15 S ONLY aren't enough, so they
>stopped in the lanes of the ramp so they could get back out of those
>lanes.

Was there a lot of traffic in the through lanes?

Assholes do things like use the "freeway only" lanes to bypass long
lines of people who are doing the right thing, and then try to force
their way in at the last possible moment - stopping dead and blocking
the lane, if necessary.

These are the same assholes who, when actually on the freeway, will
duck out into the acceleration lane in order to sneak ahead by a few
carlengths, and then stop dead with their signal on, blocking everyone
who is trying to exit.

Old July 24th 05, 10:03 PM
Dave

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2005 17:18:49 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>
> >> Heck,they stop DEAD in their lane here in Orlando,and that's just to c=

hange
> >> lanes because they were two lanes over from where they wanted to make a
> >> turn.And they sit there until some enabler lets them in.

> >I saw 5 Pepsi cars do that across two lanes after they pulled into the
> >lanes marked I-15 SOUTH ONLY. Apparently the large signs (there's more
> >than one) that say FREEWAY ONLY and I-15 S ONLY aren't enough, so they
> >stopped in the lanes of the ramp so they could get back out of those
> >lanes.

> Was there a lot of traffic in the through lanes?
>
> Assholes do things like use the "freeway only" lanes to bypass long
> lines of people who are doing the right thing, and then try to force
> their way in at the last possible moment - stopping dead and blocking
> the lane, if necessary.

Are you sure you didn't see this happen? That's exactly what it looked
like they were doing. I assume they wanted the I-15N lanes and didn't
want to wait in line like everyone else does. That, or they were all
so clueless as to where they were going they all got into lanes marked
SOUTH FREEWAY ONLY. (It's not just freeway only anymore, I didn't
notice till today.)

> These are the same assholes who, when actually on the freeway, will
> duck out into the acceleration lane in order to sneak ahead by a few
> carlengths, and then stop dead with their signal on, blocking everyone
> who is trying to exit.

Or, if they have a large pickup, will use the grassy median as an extra
lane. I've seen that on two different freeways in the last 6 months.
Cops seem to take that pretty seriously if you call up with their plate
#'s though.

Dave

Old July 25th 05, 12:51 AM
Sir Lex

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> It was an all-too-typical scene: idiot driver wants to merge, slows
> down, turns on signal, and WAITS. There is a space in the adjacent
> lane more than large enough for her to merge into, but still she
> hesitates. Through the open window she begins giving hand signals to
> the driver in the target lane, seeking assurance that he will actually
> allow her to merge in. The other driver, probably dumbfounded at what
> he is seeing, does not respond at first, so bimbo keeps up the
> histrionics until finally the other driver waves her on. At long last
> she completes her merge.
>
> Meanwhile, everyone in the lane behind this genius had yet another
> precious minute stolen from their lives.

I stopped in an onramp once. When I was learning to drive, I freaked
out when I had to do my first merge onto a motorway so I stopped,
waited, moved in when it was completely clear. Haven't done it that way
since :-)

I reckon the best way to merge onto a motorway is to come screaming
down/up the onramp like a bat outta hell. Anyone who may have been
contemplating deliberately moving up so as not to let me in will think
twice... It's been working that way for me for years, and I've never had
a problem.

IMHO, any driver who does not merge at the speed of traffic onto a
motorway should be penalised. When I used to have to merge onto
motorways on a daily basis, I would usually encounter the aftermath of
an accident that had occurred at the bottom of my usual onramp around
once a month. Ho hum, I wonder what on earth caused them?

--
SL

"The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over
to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they
succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it"

Joseph Goebbels - Nazi Minister of Propaganda, 1933 - 1945