old gas in the tank

Old July 5th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tdfm

Default old gas in the tank

My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running
in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank.
Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the
city. Also, any other suggestion about getting a bug back on the road
that has been sitting for a couple years?

Tim
74std
Old July 5th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

tdfm wrote:

> My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running
> in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank.
> Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the
> city. Also, any other suggestion about getting a bug back on the road
> that has been sitting for a couple years?
>
> Tim
> 74std

Run the gas thru your lawnmower (or the neighbor's).
Actually, it may still burn OK. I've been surprised.
Just fill the carb with some fresh fuel and see if
it will run. Add "Stabil" to the tank if it will help.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 6th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ralf Ballis

tdfm wrote:

> My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running
> in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank.
> Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the
> city.

Two years, no problem. Evacuates by driving to half and then fill it up with
fresh.
For sure, replace fuel line filter after that.

> Also, any other suggestion about getting a bug back on the road
> that has been sitting for a couple years?

Be careful with the engine. Turn it first by hand before you start the
engine.
Have you changed oil before you sat down?
If not flush engine with fresh oil, because of combustion residues.

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Erfinder des Abgasturboladers Dr. Alfred J. Büchi: "Die Abgase,
Old July 6th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_1_]

"Ralf Ballis" > schreef in bericht
> tdfm wrote:
>
>> My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running
>> in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank.
>> Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the
>> city.

> Two years, no problem. Evacuates by driving to half and then fill it up
> with
> fresh.
> For sure, replace fuel line filter after that.
>
>> Also, any other suggestion about getting a bug back on the road
>> that has been sitting for a couple years?

> Be careful with the engine. Turn it first by hand before you start the
> engine.
> Have you changed oil before you sat down?
> If not flush engine with fresh oil, because of combustion residues.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf

Most important of all...
Check the brakes,
no point using gas (old or new) when you have no brakes

Good luck and have fun driving,
Roger

Old July 6th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

>What should I do about the old gas in the tank.

It works good for weed killer, liquid edger, and for cleaning the
driveway.

After you use it up, you might want to use odorless mineral spirits for
cleaning the drive.

That way the neighbors want be so alarmed by the smell.

Be safe and don't get caught.

Old July 7th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Crusader george

In article >,
Ralf Ballis > wrote:

> tdfm wrote:
>
> > My Bug has been sitting for 2 years and I am looking to have it running
> > in the next 4 weeks. What should I do about the old gas in the tank.
> > Should I get rid of it? If so, how do you get rid of old gas in the
> > city.

I would dump the gas. use some carb cleaner and do expect the rubber
hoses on the brakes to swell up on the inside. replace too.
maybe replace the rubber gas hoses. too.

as for a use for old gas , I keep it around for cleaning like paint
brushes or whatever. gawd it smells bad.

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"
Old July 7th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ralf Ballis

Crusader george wrote:

> I would dump the gas. use some carb cleaner and do expect the rubber
> hoses on the brakes to swell up on the inside. replace too.
> maybe replace the rubber gas hoses. too.

A lot of bootless for only two years old gas.

Regards,

Ralf
Old July 8th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

kerfoker wrote:

>> as for a use for old gas , I keep it around for cleaning like paint
>> brushes or whatever. gawd it smells bad.

> I would check with your city/county dump to see if they have a hazardous
> waste disposal site. I had to get rid of a tankful of gas (filled up
> with
> diesel one bleary morning lol) and here in Seattle they have a hazardous
> disposal site for paint, oil, gas, etc.

This is one reason why old mechanics drive old and beat up trucks. You
can mix crappy old gas 50/50 with fresh fuel and the truck will run on
it. Ford 300/6 or Chevy 292/6 engines are about the best for this...
I've gotten a fair amount of free gas from motorcycles and snowmobiles
I've serviced after setting over the off season.

Tony

Gas Tank Level Theory Elle Honda 26 January 14th 06 05:00 PM
Odyssey Gas Tank Leaks only when 100% Full Mensa Honda 9 December 27th 05 08:57 PM
Chevy 1971 K20 Auxiliary Gas Tank TheSnoMan 4x4 0 October 23rd 05 11:06 PM
Chevy 1971 K20 Auxiliary Gas Tank TheSnoMan Technology 0 October 23rd 05 11:06 PM
gas tank sealants-US Standard & others - risk of clogging tiny tank vents etc? bill yohler Antique cars 1 February 29th 04 06:42 AM