OT windshields

Old March 16th 05, 07:07 PM
Rusted

Default OT windshields

Is there a difference in windshield glass from factory to aftermarket?
What are the differences? How hard is it to find factory quality glass
aftermarket? Seems like all of the replacement shops are all trying to go
"cheap", where I want to look for more "quality".

Old March 16th 05, 10:49 PM
HarryS

http://www.ih8mud.com/reviews/fj40-polycarb.php

--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 18th 05, 03:14 AM
Lee Ayrton

Old March 18th 05, 06:02 AM
DougW

Lee Ayrton did pass the time by typing:
> Without looking I'm guessing that the polycarbonate winshields are neither
> street-legal nor windshield-wiper safe.

Street legal, depends on state. Winshield wiper safe, no.

--
DougW

Old March 18th 05, 06:09 AM
Jerry Bransford

They scratch LIKE CRAZY.... even the normal use of windshield wiper
blades just scratche the hell out of them.

DougW wrote:
> Lee Ayrton did pass the time by typing:
>
>>Without looking I'm guessing that the polycarbonate winshields are neither
>>street-legal nor windshield-wiper safe.

> Street legal, depends on state. Winshield wiper safe, no.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/
Old March 18th 05, 06:13 AM
DougW

Jerry Bransford did pass the time by typing:
> They scratch LIKE CRAZY.... even the normal use of windshield wiper
> blades just scratche the hell out of them.

The only use I've ever seen out of them is in IASCA competition vehicles
where the sound pressure would shatter normal safety glass.

That and non-wiper windows such as camper shells. But even then an errant
wipe with a paper towel will scratch them.

Old March 18th 05, 09:12 AM
HarryS

DOT approved and hold up under wiper use you just cannot clean them like
glass by the use of chemicals (widex).

--
HarryS My 2¢
x.com...

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, HarryS wrote:

> http://www.ih8mud.com/reviews/fj40-polycarb.php
>
> --
> HarryS My 2¢
> "Rusted" > wrote in message
> | Is there a difference in windshield glass from factory to aftermarket?
> | What are the differences? How hard is it to find factory quality glass
> | aftermarket? Seems like all of the replacement shops are all trying to
> go
> | "cheap", where I want to look for more "quality".

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Old March 20th 05, 09:53 PM
Lee Ayrton

DougW wrote:
> Lee Ayrton did pass the time by typing:
>
>>Without looking I'm guessing that the polycarbonate winshields are neither
>>street-legal nor windshield-wiper safe.

> Street legal, depends on state. Winshield wiper safe, no.

I don't think that it is up to the states. Windshield systems are now
considered part of the restraint system and as such are covered by NHTSA
vehicle safety regulations. The state rules that I found on-line
simply point back to 49 CFR 571.5 -- the actual text of which I cannot
coax out of Google. In any case, it looks like AS-1 lamanated safety
glazing for motor vehicles is currently the only legal windshield for
highway use.

The "not-wiper safe" part will be a show-stopper. The government is
never going to allow a windshield that interfers with driver vision.

TJ windshields? Ken Knapp Jeep 10 February 25th 05 10:19 PM
RE;TJ windshields? Tj99jeep Jeep 8 February 6th 05 04:26 PM
Any Intrest in 30 Windshields, Front and Back Thunder Antique cars 2 January 8th 05 05:02 PM
Do Cabrios(Mk3) and Golfs (MK3) share their windshields? Gustavo Arriagada VW water cooled 2 October 1st 04 11:08 PM
Bon Ami for windshields? Joe Blo General 18 September 29th 04 06:47 PM