New, out-of-state, registration fees??

Old January 19th 05, 03:58 AM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>Please help!
>
>I wanted to buy a "new" vehicle from a dealer out of state because I
>won't have to pay sales tax. But I was told that I would have to pay
>the tax once I register the vehicle in my home state (CA - California).
>Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a way to get around
>having to pay the full taxes?

You must be new at buying a car. When you buy from a dealer in the state
that you will register the car, he will collect the taxes. When you buy
from a private individual, in your home state or out of state, you pay
your home state taxes when you go to register the car.

>I know when you buy used, a lot of people just write the purchase price
>really low. But how does the DMV check on these things?

You can sometimes getaway with the low price, but often you can't. If you
get a free car from a family member, it probably won't be questioned. You will
probably also be required to produce a reciept to back up your low price.
-------------
Alex

Old January 19th 05, 04:26 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

rides_twins wrote:
> Thanks for all the input everyone.
>
> You know, I noticed that registration in CA means that vehicle value

is
> NOT calculated automatically. You have to specify the vehicle value.
>
> Regardless, if I want to do this the "right" way, couldn't I also

just
> pay the tax in the state where I am purchasing it?

If you are a *resident* of that state and you can legally *register* it
there. Otherwise, no. The taxes are collected upon titling and
registration (which you, as a CA resident, must do there), not whenever
and to whomever you decide to pay them.

> I also read another thread where someone said if the vehicle is
> "brought-in" after 90-days you are not subject to tax in CA. Is this
> still true? How do they determine when it was broght in? Maybe I
> should ask the dealer to hold onto it for 90 days first?

For a reasonable storage fee, I'm sure he will. That does not make you
less a tax fraud and a moron. So, is anyone else tempted to track this
guy's ISP address and blow him in to the CA tax authorities? I wonder
how much the reward is ...
--
C.R. Krieger
"I fight authority; authority always wins." - J. Mellencamp

Old January 19th 05, 07:32 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
Motorhead Lawyer > wrote:

>For a reasonable storage fee, I'm sure he will. That does not make you
>less a tax fraud and a moron. So, is anyone else tempted to track this
>guy's ISP address and blow him in to the CA tax authorities? I wonder
>how much the reward is ...

Keeping the government of California away from money is a GOOD thing.
Unfortunately, it's also a very difficult thing. Hell, they've got a
law which requires COMMUTERS to register their vehicles in CA.