Got a ticket Friday...

Old January 18th 05, 03:45 PM
Furious George

It DRIVES me crazy 2 wrote:
> Cory Dunkle wrote:
> > I was turning right on a red. Car was coming in the distance, so I

> took off
> > quickly to get up to speed before he got close. Corner was dry

where
> I could
> > see but right around the corner near the curb was a puddle of

water.
> So as I
> > accelerated out of the turn I was first on dry pavement and

> accelerating
> > quickly (not real hard, just quick with moderate throttle). Then as

> passed
> > over the puddle my right tire spun real quick and then caught again

> ont eh
> > dry pavement, chirping. Car was straight as an arrow the whole

time,
> no
> > smoke, and not accelerating real hard.
> >
> > As that was happening a cop was slowing to stop at the light on the
> > intersecting road, which had changed while I was turning. Looking

in
> my
> > mirror I saw him turning around and pulled over in a parking lot,

> figuring
> > he was going to stop me.
> >
> > He pulled in and asked for my papers. I reached for the glove box,

> couldn't
> > reach, so removed my seatbelt and then got my papers and handed

them
> to him.
> > He went back to his car, and came back to give me my papers and a

> ticket.
> >
> > He told me he could have wrote me a ticket for careless driving,

but
> did not
> > because that carried points. Instead he gave me a seatbelt ticket.

> asked
> > hif he realized that I had not spun my tire on purpose, and as I

was
> > accelerating hit a puddle, thus the tire chirped as the pavement

was
> once
> > again dry before I let off the gas. He said how is he supposed to

> know that,
> > in such a tone as to convey that he doesn't believe me. I went on

> tell
> > him that if I wanted to spin my tires, there would have been a lot

of
> noise
> > and smoke, not a little chirp as I am driving normally and hit a

> puddle. He
> > again said how is he supposed to know that, and to take the

seatbelt
> ticket.
> > I told him I was wearing my seatbelt. He said he didn't see it. I

> responded
> > that regardless of whether or not he saw my seatbelt, it is

breaking
> no law
> > to sit in a parked car without a seatbelt. He then asked if I would

> rather
> > have the careless driving ticket with points, so I told him sure,

if
> I was
> > driving carelessly then that is the ticket I should get, not a

> seatbelt
> > ticket when I was wearing my seatbelt as I always do. He then told

me
> > deal with it in court and it wasn't his job to argue with me. I

said
> okay,
> > and asked where the courthouse was and waht the date was. He told

me
> and
> > left.
> >
> > I then looked at the ticket and say he noted the conditions as dry,

> was
> > gonna go take pictures of the intersection where it happened in

case
> they
> > try to give me a careless driving ticket or argue anything like

that
> when I
> > go to court, assuming this cop even shows. As I was driving around

> the block
> > I saw the cop, so I stopped and asked him why he wrote dry as teh

> conditions
> > where it had rained earlier in the day and parts of the road were

> wet, such
> > as around the corner I turned. He told me to leave. I told him I

> wanted it
> > in writing that conditions were wet that day if he did in fact try

> change
> > the ticket to careless driving or bring that up when I went to

court
> for the
> > ticket. He said he didn't see any water on the ground and it looked

> dry to
> > him (hmm... just like a took my seatbelt off right in front of him

> and he
> > didn't notice), but he would go check and make a note of it. I

asked
> why he
> > would not give me a copy of such a note. He then asked how old I

was
> and
> > told me to leave, belittling me and disregarding me because of my

age
> (19,
> > will be 20 in a few days). So I left and took pictures on the

> intersection.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I should go file a complaint against the officer or

> what. He
> > disregarded me, belittled me, didn't believe me and was rude to me

> simply
> > because I'm 19. I felt very insulted and frustrated. I never spin

my
> tires
> > on the street, much less in rush hour while turning onto a major

> street.
> > Hell, that big car with a little 302 can't even spin the tires on

dry
> > pavement since I got my new BFGoodrich Radial T/As, and even when

> it's
> > raining they grip very nicely and it takes some doing to spin the

> tires.
> > Regardless, I'm a safe and courteous driver. I don't screw around

on
> the
> > street. Hell, lately on anything but interstate type of highways I

do
> the
> > speed limit or less to be sure I don't have to deal with cops (who

do
> double
> > the limit in residential zones around here and run red lights, when

> not on
> > call).
> >
> > In any case, if all this is gonna be is a seatbelt ticket then so

be
> it. My
> > girlfriend was with me and knows I wear my seatbelt every time I

get
> in the
> > car. She also saw me take my seatbelt off right in front of the cop

> while I
> > was reaching for my papers. I'm half expecting them to disregard

her
> as a
> > witness though, and believe that lying scumbag of a cop. I suppose

> I'll find
> > out when I go to court.
> >
> > Bottom line is I'm not paying for a ticket that is for something

I'm
> not
> > guilty of. If I was driving carelessly and endangering anyone with

my
> > actions when so be it, give me that ticket and if I don't feel I

was
> driving
> > carelessly I'll go to court. If I know I was doing something I

> shouldn't
> > have been, so be it, I know that and am man enough to accept

getting
> caught
> > doing something I shouldn't have been. The cop knows that chirping

my
> tire
> > on a small puddle I didn't know was there and keeping the car

> straight as an
> > arrow is not careless or unsafe, nor was it endangering anyone, so

he
> gives
> > me a seatbelt ticket and belittles me, trying to pressure me into

> accepting
> > it and believe I got off with a good deal so I pay it without

> protest. Yeah,
> > right. I'm not that much of a pushover. In the past I've gotten a

> break like
> > that when I actually was driving unsafely. I took the break and

paid
> the
> > ticket, and that was the end of messing around on the street for

me.
> That
> > was a couple years ago.
> >
> > Anyhow, it just ****es me off that cops do crap like that. I mean

> honestly,
> > if I was doing anything careless or unsafe give me the points.

That's
> what
> > points are for, to add up and get bad drivers off the road. I'd

> rather not
> > have a corrupt system and if I actually do something I shouldn't,

> take some
> > points and so be it. Not this BS like we have where even if you get

> points
> > ticket you just go to court and they don't even wanna hear or know

> what
> > happened, you get in a line and tell them whether or not you will

> take their
> > deal of a different fine and no points. It's nothing but revenue

> collection,
> > hence the seatbelt ticket I got. He knows a careless driving ticket

> is BS,
> > so he gives a seatbelt ticket thinking it makes him look good and

> that I'll
> > pay it instead of missing work (cops need a certain number of

tickets
> to be
> > put up for promotions, if they don't write enough tickets it's

> frowned upon
> > and assumed that they are not doing their job). By missing work

yeah
> I'll
> > lose some more money by not working than I would if I were to pay

it,
> but
> > not all that much more being as how I work part time for my

college.
> My work
> > that I actually make money on, computer work and consulting, I

> schedule for
> > whenever is convenient for me.
> >
> > Well, I just had to vent a bit, as this is frustrating. Me and the
> > girlfriend ended up missing the movie we were going to and went to

> the next
> > show. The end result was I ended up leaving for CT an hour and some

> change
> > later than I wanted to, which kinda stunk.
> >
> > Cory

> Cory, have to start thinking out of the box...PBA card?, get your
> driving transcript at DMV and see where you stand with points? are

you
> paying insurance surcharge? use a bike? etc.

Use a bike? What are you some kind of communist?

Old January 18th 05, 04:39 PM
Cory Dunkle

"It DRIVES me crazy 2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Cory, have to start thinking out of the box...PBA card?, get your
> driving transcript at DMV and see where you stand with points? are you
> paying insurance surcharge? use a bike? etc.
>
> Peter

I don't understand the relevance of what you are saying. Maybe I'm missing
something in your post though. In any case, I have no PBA card, no points,
and no insurance surchange other than living in NJ and being 19 which means
I pay the some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

A motorcycle or bicycle is not practical for me, as here in NJ we have
mighty cold winters and for the bicycle I can't very well ride 30+ miles/day
and get to work all sweaty and whatnot after riding for hours. To me it's
worth the cost of insurance, gas and upkeep on the car to not deal with
riding a bike in below freezing temps for several hours, as would be
necessary on a day like today.

Anyhow, what was the point of your post? What are you trying to say, becuase
you aren't making much sense.

Cory

Old January 18th 05, 04:39 PM
Cory Dunkle

Old January 18th 05, 05:33 PM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:39:36 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
wrote:

>"It DRIVES me crazy 2" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Cory, have to start thinking out of the box...PBA card?, get your
>> driving transcript at DMV and see where you stand with points? are you
>> paying insurance surcharge? use a bike? etc.
>>
>> Peter

>I don't understand the relevance of what you are saying. Maybe I'm missing
>something in your post though. In any case, I have no PBA card, no points,
>and no insurance surchange other than living in NJ and being 19 which means
>I pay the some of the highest insurance rates in the country.
>
>A motorcycle or bicycle is not practical for me, as here in NJ we have
>mighty cold winters and for the bicycle I can't very well ride 30+ miles/day
>and get to work all sweaty and whatnot after riding for hours. To me it's
>worth the cost of insurance, gas and upkeep on the car to not deal with
>riding a bike in below freezing temps for several hours, as would be
>necessary on a day like today.
>
>Anyhow, what was the point of your post? What are you trying to say, becuase
>you aren't making much sense.
>
> Cory

moving is always an option, either closer to work, or out of the
People's Republic of New Jersey.

:-P

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old January 18th 05, 05:33 PM

Old January 18th 05, 07:13 PM
Furious George

Cory Dunkle wrote:
> "It DRIVES me crazy 2" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Cory, have to start thinking out of the box...PBA card?, get your
> > driving transcript at DMV and see where you stand with points? are

you
> > paying insurance surcharge? use a bike? etc.
> >
> > Peter

> I don't understand the relevance of what you are saying. Maybe I'm

missing
> something in your post though. In any case, I have no PBA card, no

points,
> and no insurance surchange other than living in NJ and being 19 which

means
> I pay the some of the highest insurance rates in the country.
>
> A motorcycle or bicycle is not practical for me, as here in NJ we

have
> mighty cold winters and for the bicycle I can't very well ride 30+

miles/day
> and get to work all sweaty and whatnot after riding for hours. To me

it's
> worth the cost of insurance, gas and upkeep on the car to not deal

with
> riding a bike in below freezing temps for several hours, as would be
> necessary on a day like today.
>
> Anyhow, what was the point of your post? What are you trying to say,

becuase
> you aren't making much sense.

I think he was trying to recruit you into communistic homosexuality.
Riding a bicycle might be OK for some dip**** 3rd world darkie, but
here in America we drive our cars everywhere. Anyone who suggests
otherwise hates America.

Old January 18th 05, 07:13 PM
Furious George

Old January 18th 05, 09:20 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, It DRIVES me crazy 2 wrote:

[snip messy quote of Cory's ENTIRE original post]

> Cory, have to start thinking out of the box.

Peter, you have to start learning to trim your quotes.
Old January 18th 05, 09:20 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 18th 05, 11:00 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Cory Dunkle wrote:

<SNIP>

You broke several of my well-publicized rules of behavior.

First, you did a Dumb Thing in front of a cop. You *should be* old
enough and smart enough to know what power through puddles can do. If
not, go back and learn it. Whatever you do, don't try justifying it.
You screwed up.

Second, you *Acted Guilty*. Never pull over voluntarily until the
disco lights are on in your mirror and the cop is clearly *staying
behind you*. If you'd simply driven on down the street nicely, he
might have changed his mind - but you'll never know now. If *you* pull
over first, *he's* gotta pull over (to see what's up) unless he's in a
hurry to get somewhere else.

Third, you tried to argue at the scene. That's neither the time nor
the place. If you want to argue, that's what courts are for.

Fourth, you started an argument over your 'guilt' when the offer was a
*good deal*. The officer was trying to give you a break and you
essentially jumped down his throat for it. Really *really* stupid.

Now, you want to *fight* the 'easy-way-out' ticket you got because you
didn't *really* do that? Well, DUH! You've never seen Eric Idle going
"nudge, nudge, wink, wink" on Python? If you *ever* want to get to the
point where you get the breaks you think you deserve, you'd better
learn to *recognize them*!

Had you explained your loss of traction (as you did) and *apologized*
for what you did (instad of trying to justify it as OK), you might not
have even gotten the seatbelt cite.

So basically, you talked yourself out of a break and into trouble.
You're beginning to give 'young and stupid' a bad name.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)