so what do you do?

Old January 18th 05, 08:33 AM
Bob Lutz

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:49:40 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> No matter what you choose to call it, repressed emotion is repressed
> emotion. Experts agree it's not healthy. That's why I express myself
> immediately, get the anger out of my system, and quickly forget about the
> incident (usually right after I post about it in this group). This policy
> has done wonders for my mental health. Kinda like Primal Scream therapy.

Repressed emotion... that makes sense, actually. I deal with a lot of
really clueless people [fast-food drive-thru] and there are times I'm
pretty frazzled.
Old January 18th 05, 09:37 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> No matter what you choose to call it, repressed emotion is repressed
> emotion. Experts agree it's not healthy. That's why I express myself
> immediately, get the anger out of my system, and quickly forget about
> the incident (usually right after I post about it in this group). This
> policy has done wonders for my mental health. Kinda like Primal Scream
> therapy.

Serenity now, insanity later (refering to a particular episode of sienfeld)

> Observation #3: Not one of those pussies even so much as honked a horn
> at this asshole. I suppose they were just being "patient" and
> "empathic?"

"just let them do it" This is what people have been taught to do. My
guess is this teaching is the combination of 'turn the other cheek' and
aggressive arseholes who want people they can shove around.

> Now for a question: what would you have done? Would you have gotten
> angry at this guy? Or would you have simply turned the other cheek?

I would have gone around as you did. Cept there probably would have been
one difference, the arsehole would have tried to chase me down. I was
behind such an arsehole while I was using the bicycle one day. I went
around him. He then found his accelerator pedal and tried crush me
between his van and the curb. I shoulda kicked in the side of it, but
the chance was gone once I thought of it.

I've found one common thread about these people, they don't like it when
someone stands up to them and doesn't take their abuse. "just let them do
it" has created an expectation that aggression should be appeased.
The more people that stand up to them, the less of this behavior we will
have to deal with. We should be teaching people to stand up for
themselves as overall, giving in is creating more danger on the road by
encouraging the behavior through reward. (true there are times where you
have to back down, but those are the minority, most times taking a firm
stand is all that is required)

And just about everytime I don't take a firm stand, something bad happens
to remind be that I should. This last reminder was with the TW car. I
should have accelerated and blocked his lane change instead of slowing,
but with a whole line of idiots ahead it seemed to be the better thing to
do. Slowing only showed weakness and encouraged him to cut me off while I
was just short of being along side him and then slam on the brakes about a
second later when one of the other idiots pulled out of the line.

Old January 18th 05, 09:37 AM
Brent P

Old January 18th 05, 03:42 PM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>This last reminder was with the TW car.

> How's TW doing these days, BTW?

I'm gonna junk it. isn't worth my time fixing it. Even to get it to the
point to being ok to drive again. Just tired of fixing it and there are
numerous things about-to-go like the clutch.

Old January 18th 05, 03:42 PM
Brent P

Old January 19th 05, 07:41 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> Or maybe follow nate's P car lead. I want something RWD.

Brent, I can attest to the "huge grin factor" that comes
from driving a P-car (I have a 928) so I would recommend one
to you as an enjoyable ride.

Plus they do handle really well, like it is the one
thing they are made for.

Bernard