1996 GMC Jimmy Engine won't catch on start....

Old July 20th 05, 03:45 PM
hadattack

Default 1996 GMC Jimmy Engine won't catch on start....

Hey all,

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I love, love, love my Jimmy,
but lately, it has decided to become high maintainence.

We just replaced the compressor and a/c unit a week ago, and since that
fix, my engine has suddenly started acting peculiar on start-up.

It turns over, but doesn't catch. It has gotten progressively worse. The
battery is only a year old, and my husband is pretty religious about
keeping the cables clean and well-connected.

We replaced the alternator about 2-3 years ago, and haven't really noticed
any of the tell-tale signs of having a battery problem.

My fear is that I am looking at a fuel pump issue, but would love some
advice on what else to try before taking it in.

Thanks!!

Old July 20th 05, 05:43 PM
Spud Demon

"hadattack" > writes in article outautos.com> dated Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:45:02 -0400:
>Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I love, love, love my Jimmy,
>but lately, it has decided to become high maintainence.
>
>We just replaced the compressor and a/c unit a week ago, and since that
>fix, my engine has suddenly started acting peculiar on start-up.
>
>It turns over, but doesn't catch. It has gotten progressively worse. The
>battery is only a year old, and my husband is pretty religious about
>keeping the cables clean and well-connected.
>
>We replaced the alternator about 2-3 years ago, and haven't really noticed
>any of the tell-tale signs of having a battery problem.
>
>My fear is that I am looking at a fuel pump issue, but would love some
>advice on what else to try before taking it in.

There's a lot of that going around these days. I'm still putting my '94
Blazer back together after replacing the fuel pump.

If it's cranking over, the battery is fine. That leaves 2 usual problems --
no spark or no fuel. If you spray some starting fluid in the air intake and
it starts and runs for a few seconds then dies, it's a fuel problem.

Also, you should be able to hear the whirring of the fuel pump itself for 2
seconds after you turn the key to "on". (Fasten your seatbelt to avoid be
beeping during that time.)

The easiest way to test for a spark is to get an extra spark plug and
connect it to one of the wires (leaving the existing plug in the engine).
While holding the plug by the rubber boot on the wire, touch it to a clean
metal spot somewhere on the engine. Then have somebody else crank the
engine for a second while you watch the plug. You should be able to see a
spark.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.