Off Road!

Old June 16th 05, 05:24 AM
Seahag

Default Off Road!

I finally took Clementine offroad! Really fun! Hubby made
me put her in 4L but it was a 4H trail. Made one heck of a
noise going into gear...that was the scaryest part! I sure
like the short wheel base for going over steep thingies:^)
I'm disappointed tho, the Amber Fire color doesn't show mud!

Seahag

Old June 17th 05, 12:08 AM
Jeff Strickland

The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should be moving slowly,
walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO. Coming out of 4LO into
4HI is a bit easier and can be done <carefully> without stopping, but the
gears will still grind.

Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck on a rock or
something, and for any number of reasons you might decide to use 4LO, but
because you are now stopped you may find that the gears collide and the
shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this happens, you can let the
clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the clutch back in as you pull
the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be sure there isn't
anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO selected, then you can
proceed in the apporpriate manner.

Old June 17th 05, 03:25 PM
Seahag

I was trying to go dead slow, the manual sez 2 to 3 mph, but
I guess I was going too fast.

Seahag

Old June 17th 05, 03:37 PM
Seahag

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

> The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should be
> moving slowly,
> walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO. Coming
> out of 4LO into
> 4HI is a bit easier and can be done <carefully> without
> stopping, but the
> gears will still grind.
>
> Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck on a
> rock or
> something, and for any number of reasons you might decide
> to use 4LO, but
> because you are now stopped you may find that the gears
> collide and the
> shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this happens,
> you can let the
> clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the clutch
> back in as you pull
> the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be sure
> there isn't
> anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO
> selected, then you can
> proceed in the apporpriate manner.

I think part of my problem was that the manual mentioned
something about not stopping in Neurtal while you shift to
4LO. So I just kinda grabbed the handle and went for it!
It didn't grind badly, just surprised me not having done it
before. Thanks for the tips, just wish it was something I
could practice! Seems there are very few ORV trails in
Maryland.

Seahag

Old June 17th 05, 08:40 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Seahag" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> >
> > The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should be
> > moving slowly,
> > walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO. Coming
> > out of 4LO into
> > 4HI is a bit easier and can be done <carefully> without
> > stopping, but the
> > gears will still grind.
> >
> > Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck on a
> > rock or
> > something, and for any number of reasons you might decide
> > to use 4LO, but
> > because you are now stopped you may find that the gears
> > collide and the
> > shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this happens,
> > you can let the
> > clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the clutch
> > back in as you pull
> > the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be sure
> > there isn't
> > anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO
> > selected, then you can
> > proceed in the apporpriate manner.

> I think part of my problem was that the manual mentioned
> something about not stopping in Neurtal while you shift to
> 4LO. So I just kinda grabbed the handle and went for it!
> It didn't grind badly, just surprised me not having done it
> before. Thanks for the tips, just wish it was something I
> could practice! Seems there are very few ORV trails in
> Maryland.

The reason you don't want to stop is because the gears grind.

The gears grind because there are no synch rings, and because there are no
synch rings AND the gears are relatively fat, they can strike on edge if
they are not moving. You won't hurt anything if you shift into LO while at a
standing stop, but if the gears strike each other on edge and the lever
won't physically move into position. The recovery from this is to let the
clutch out partially while moving the lever at the same time, the gears will
move out of each other's way, and the lever will slip into position. I have
found that I need to do this while the transmission is in gear, not Neutral.
If you are moving when you shift into LO, then the gears will also slip into
position, but they will grind first.

Old June 17th 05, 08:55 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Real Jeepers with sticks, double clutch the transfer neutral
position, just like the Real truckers, shift their dual-stick Brownie
auxiliary transmissions.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 17th 05, 09:18 PM
Seahag

Oh no! Not "real Jeepers"! ;^)

Seahag

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in
message ...

Old June 17th 05, 09:22 PM
Seahag

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

> "Seahag" > wrote:
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>> >
>> > The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should
>> > be
>> > moving slowly,
>> > walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO.
>> > Coming
>> > out of 4LO into
>> > 4HI is a bit easier and can be done <carefully> without
>> > stopping, but the
>> > gears will still grind.
>> >
>> > Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck
>> > on a
>> > rock or
>> > something, and for any number of reasons you might
>> > decide
>> > to use 4LO, but
>> > because you are now stopped you may find that the gears
>> > collide and the
>> > shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this
>> > happens,
>> > you can let the
>> > clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the
>> > clutch
>> > back in as you pull
>> > the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be
>> > sure
>> > there isn't
>> > anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO
>> > selected, then you can
>> > proceed in the apporpriate manner.

>> I think part of my problem was that the manual mentioned
>> something about not stopping in Neurtal while you shift
>> 4LO. So I just kinda grabbed the handle and went for it!
>> It didn't grind badly, just surprised me not having done
>> it
>> before. Thanks for the tips, just wish it was something
>> could practice! Seems there are very few ORV trails in
>> Maryland.
>>

> The reason you don't want to stop is because the gears
> grind.
>
> The gears grind because there are no synch rings, and
> because there are no
> synch rings AND the gears are relatively fat, they can
> strike on edge if
> they are not moving. You won't hurt anything if you shift
> into LO while at a
> standing stop, but if the gears strike each other on edge
> and the lever
> won't physically move into position. The recovery from
> this is to let the
> clutch out partially while moving the lever at the same
> time, the gears will
> move out of each other's way, and the lever will slip into
> position. I have
> found that I need to do this while the transmission is in
> gear, not Neutral.
> If you are moving when you shift into LO, then the gears
> will also slip into
> position, but they will grind first.

Thanks, that clears up some of the mystery!

Seahag

Old June 17th 05, 09:33 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think you have me figured out. :-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 18th 05, 04:40 PM
Seahag

It was a nasty job, but someone had to do it!

Seahag