Airbox has to go?

Old June 15th 05, 09:33 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Now how are you going to get that ring out of your hears. ;-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 15th 05, 09:52 PM
Earle Horton

You do raise a point, but I am not getting any dust in the pipe where I live
and play. I don't have enough horsepower to throw dust as high as you do,
either. Results will depend on usage and individual situation. If you do
use a K&N, clean and oil it as needed.

Earle

Old June 15th 05, 09:56 PM
Jerry Bransford

Even when kept cleaned and oiled, my thankfully departed K&N still let
the desert dust past it. Besides, something that not everyone knows...
a K&N actually filters BETTER the more it gets clogged with junk, not
right after it has been cleaned and oiled.... up to a point of course.

http://www.billhughes.com/

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 15th 05, 09:57 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 16th 05, 12:46 AM
Earle Horton

This article says things for and against the K&N.

"After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed
7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N "plugged up" nearly 3 times faster,
passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

However,

"The other filters, most notably the oiled reusable types, had an
exponential loading response before reaching maximum restriction. These
filters had a lower initial restriction, but they became exponentially more
restrictive under a constant flow of dirt."

I like that "exponential loading response". The Rock-It Air Tube places the
K&N in a location, over the valve cover, where there seems to be less dust
than the stock air box location on my '95 YJ. If the filter is kept
relatively clean, like mine is, it stays on the flat part of the exponential
"Dust Loading Curve", passes more air than an equivalent paper filter would,
and doesn't have to worry about the dust so much because of the location.

"However, note how the AC Filter, which passed the smallest amount of dirt
and had the highest dirt capacity and efficiency, also had the highest
relative restriction to flow. The less efficient filters correspondingly had
less restriction to flow. This illustrates the apparent trade-offs between
optimizing a filter for dirt capturing ability and maximum airflow."

Everything in life is a trade-off. Still, I maintain that there is no
(visible) dust in the pipe, and if I don't see it it won't hurt me. Now if
I were operating the vehicle "bei starkem Dustfall" like you do yours, I
would doubtless be more concerned with passing the absolute smallest amount
of dirt. If you wanted the "best" filter in all respects, you would
engineer a huge paper filter to pass a lot of air and a small amount of
dirt, but put it in a baffle that removed the big pieces by centrifugal
force. (Lots of stock setups do this.)

Old June 16th 05, 01:06 AM
Andy

Yea Bill, I hate to mess up the original air intake system. It's not a real
Jeep so it doesn't fit under any seat, I tried, believe me. I can't take
out the back seat because I have a lot of Jeep crazed young grandkids.

I guess what I'll do is put it in a box and use good clips to attach to the
battery(s), like a portable. I swear I saw a set-up on a TJ that was from a
2xxx something auto that fit. Of course, the air scrubbing wouldn't be as
good as now. Thanks

Andy
2001 TJ
Too many mods to remember

Old June 16th 05, 01:28 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Andy,
Even thought you have the high end electric pump, I've just never
heard of anyone happy with it, unless all it's doing is pressurizing the
water in a motorhome. Give a Real pump at though, a York:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html One guy even saved his air
box, and warranty.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 16th 05, 04:21 AM
Billy Ray

Bill,
Thanks for the link to that Air Filter Report. For years I have heard
people who swear by K&N filters but the same number that swear at them.

One thing that has always come to mind is that when you are using the stock
airbox it gets it air supply from in front of the grill while the K&N gets
it air from atop the engine which is the hottest place in the vehicle.

Old June 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Earle Horton

"Billy Ray" > wrote in message
> Bill,

> One thing that has always come to mind is that when you are using
> the stock airbox it gets it air supply from in front of the grill while
> the K&N gets it air from atop the engine which is the hottest place
> in the vehicle.

This is an overly simplistic assumption. A vehicle in motion is not
equivalent to a tank used for static convection studies.

Earle

Old June 20th 05, 02:14 PM
linux24

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:43:31 GMT, "Andy" >
wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>
>I got a great deal on a Quick Air 3 and attempted to install it and gave up.
>I have an 01 TJ six cyl. and the air box has to go if I want to put this in
>the engine compartment, and I do.. I'm really not interested in K&N or
>other devices. I have seen nice setups with a chrome air cleaner on top of
>the intake. Anybody know what air cleaner and filter I could use? Off of a
>certain vehicle? I off road a lot so ingestion dust/dirt is something I am
>concerned about.

Don't use after market air filters on your jeep.

See this:

http://jeep.us41.org/airfilter

and read down to the part about Air Filter Controversy.

-linux24