Turn signal and parking light problems on 323

Old February 20th 05, 08:20 PM

Default Turn signal and parking light problems on 323

323i/2000 BMW. The dashboard has a warning light on for the left
headlight. When I use my left hand turn signal, the signal beats very
quickly, and the left turn signal doesn't work on the front of the car.
Also, the left front parking lot no longer works. The other left hand
turn signals work (the back and side lights are ok). Anyone have any
ideas what could be wrong? Does this sound like I just need to replace
the two left front bulbs or could I have more serious electrical
problems.

Thanks.
Matt

Old February 20th 05, 10:35 PM
Jim

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> 323i/2000 BMW. The dashboard has a warning light on for the left
> headlight. When I use my left hand turn signal, the signal beats very
> quickly, and the left turn signal doesn't work on the front of the car.
> Also, the left front parking lot no longer works. The other left hand
> turn signals work (the back and side lights are ok). Anyone have any
> ideas what could be wrong? Does this sound like I just need to replace
> the two left front bulbs or could I have more serious electrical
> problems.
>
> Thanks.
> Matt

These are all indications of burnt out bulbs.
Jim

Old February 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
Jeff Strickland

The first thing I would do is replace the light bulbs. I am confused by the
message that says the left headlight is out, but you didn't say anything
about the status of the left headlight. The turnsignal and the running lamp
(sometimes called corner marker) is the same lamp with two filiments inside.
Normally only one filiment breaks, but there is no reason why both could not
be broken at the same time.

I am rather anal about my lighting so I check my lights often, usually at
least once a day. What I do is when I approach a traffic light that is red,
I stop a suitable distance behind the car in front so that I can see my
lights reflecting on a flat surface of the vehicle ahead. When I pull up
behind a van or pick up truck, then I take special care to stop at a
distance that lets me observe my lights in the reflection. I test my high
beams to make sure they work, look at the head lamps and corner markers and
fog lights if they are on.

When I back out of a parking space where there are windows at ground level,
I will position my car for a second to observe the tail liights, brake
lights, and back up lights. Since I drive almost all of the time with my
lights on, then I will leave them on while getting gas, this lets me check
them, particularly the rear lights while the tank is filling.

I would not even consider "serious electrical problems" for another 15 or 20
years.

ups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 10:52 PM
ggchimp

I have the exact problem. Now I know that I must change my bulbs. My right
turinig signal is out at the front. My front left light bulb(head light)
is going on and off. My right turing sgnal did the sam ebefore, now it is
totally not working. Does anyone now how to replace this??? or would it be
best to take the car to a auto shop?

Old March 6th 05, 10:43 PM
ggchimp

I am trying to install a 1998 z3 BMW Radio into my 1995 325is. Everything
fits into place perfectly, but it is asking me for a code. What can I do?
The person I got the radio from does not have the radio manual for her z3.
I wouldn't imagine the code would be in there anyways. What can I do to
obtain the code? Do I need the code?

Old March 6th 05, 11:57 PM
JimV

ggchimp wrote:
> I am trying to install a 1998 z3 BMW Radio into my 1995 325is. Everything
> fits into place perfectly, but it is asking me for a code. What can I do?
> The person I got the radio from does not have the radio manual for her z3.
> I wouldn't imagine the code would be in there anyways. What can I do to
> obtain the code? Do I need the code?

The dealer lookup the code from her VIN, but they will only do it for her.

Old March 7th 05, 08:13 PM
Jeff Strickland

My '94 325i tells me LOW BEAM FAILURE when there is trouble with the
headlamps. I have to get out and look to see which headlamp isn't working.
The Turn Signal Lamps are a bit more descriptive, the message includes a
clue as to which corner is cold.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 8th 05, 10:34 PM
Jeff Strickland

"ggchimp" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I am trying to install a 1998 z3 BMW Radio into my 1995 325is. Everything
> fits into place perfectly, but it is asking me for a code. What can I do?
> The person I got the radio from does not have the radio manual for her z3.
> I wouldn't imagine the code would be in there anyways. What can I do to
> obtain the code? Do I need the code?

1. Create a new post, do not reply to an existing post and change the topic.

2. The Code is a theft deterent. when the radio is stolen and the power is
removed, it will not operate again unless the correct code is entered via
the radio station preset buttons. The person you bought the radio from can
give you the Radio Owner's Manual, and the code will be on a plastic card in
that book. Or, the person that sold you the radio can take their ID and
Registration card to the dealership, and the dealership can tell you the
code. If you go with the original purchaser, I suppose you might be able to
get the new code plugged into the computer so a future buyer of your car
won't be screwed. If you sell your car and the next buyer takes the radio
out, OR has a dead battery, the code will be lost. Your VIN will not give
the correct radio code at that time unless you do something today.

Old March 9th 05, 09:06 PM
Don

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "ggchimp" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>
>>I am trying to install a 1998 z3 BMW Radio into my 1995 325is. Everything
>>fits into place perfectly, but it is asking me for a code. What can I do?
>>The person I got the radio from does not have the radio manual for her z3.
>>I wouldn't imagine the code would be in there anyways. What can I do to
>>obtain the code? Do I need the code?

> 2. The Code is a theft deterent. when the radio is stolen and the power is
> removed, it will not operate again unless the correct code is entered via
> the radio station preset buttons. The person you bought the radio from can
> give you the Radio Owner's Manual, and the code will be on a plastic card in
> that book. Or, the person that sold you the radio can take their ID and
> Registration card to the dealership, and the dealership can tell you the
> code. If you go with the original purchaser, I suppose you might be able to
> get the new code plugged into the computer so a future buyer of your car
> won't be screwed. If you sell your car and the next buyer takes the radio
> out, OR has a dead battery, the code will be lost. Your VIN will not give
> the correct radio code at that time unless you do something today.

Actually - the code is read by the radio SN from BMW's computer. To find
the SN of a late model "Business" radio:

1. Turn it on

2. Within 10 seconds press the "M" button and hold it in

The first number in the display that comes up should be the radio SN.

If you take this number to your friendly local BMW dealer and nicely ask
at the service desk - they will probably look it up for you. If
they're not so nice (I've gotten them over the phone - but they know me)
- they may want to look at the radio themselves, and/or remove it to
look for the SN on the back (thereby justifying a service charge..)

If you're like me - you'll then write the number down in the owners
manual, in the hope that some poor misguided drug addict will steal the
damn thing, justifying me getting the newer one with the CD player in it.

electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
77' Type II electrical problems Fishtale VW air cooled 1 October 16th 04 04:17 PM