Towing w/ 2005 4Runner

Old January 31st 05, 11:40 PM
bowgus

And when the key went missing ... twist two wires together, and tickle them
with the third.

Later buddy :-)

"Peter D. Hipson" > wrote in message
> Yer showing yer age... <g> Yes, I've drivin a few miles in just such a
> car. They did so well without clutches, didn't they, and just like
> todays hybrid cars, don't run at the stops at all!
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:27:39 -0500, "bowgus" >
> wrote:
>
> >If you know your tranny, the clutch is redundant. Anybody have one of

those
> >old air cooled beetles ... the ones with the clutch cables that would

break?
> >Get it rolling with the starter, and shift at those shift points that

were
> >conveniently marked on the speedometer face. Tachometer ... we don't need

no
> >stinkin tachometer!!! I remember when that thing would get stuck in the
> >snow, put it in gear, get out and push, and jump back in when it got
> >rolling. And when one cylinder went bad, just replace that cylinder ...

and

Old January 31st 05, 11:42 PM
bowgus

I guess I'm thinking about those guys that post ... my key's deprogrammed
and the dealer wants $300 for a new one (geez ... $300 bought a new beetle
engine ... installed). Progress?

Old February 3rd 05, 01:50 PM
fanie

I am sure that in US speak towing must mean being able to drive as if there
is nothing on the back of the vehicle. It seems that a chev sububan is a
minimum requirement for moving a few bags of cement.

I have a LR discovery (300tdi) that has a theoretical tow mass of 4000kg
(approx 8800lbs). I find that moving even its own unladen bulk up a hill
requires some fair old welly. However if you are the patient sort and are
quite familiar with low range then I see no reason why towing 4000kgs would
present a problem. In my older landy (a serIII) I did, on occassion, pull a
trailer loaded with sand (total mass about 3500kgs). Of course I would
decend hills in second gear and leave big following distances. In fact it is
said of towing, that one should decend in the same gear that one would use
to acend the same slope.

As far as toyotas go, much as it galls me to say so, they generally are very
tough and should not give too many problems in the gearbox dept. The above
not withstanding, if I was in the US I would surely have the biggest,
red-neckest dodge ram with cummins turbodiesel, and towpack capable of
towing small shopping centers. Alas in South Africa, it would cost half our
GDP to by and the other half to run.

Regards
Stephen

Old February 4th 05, 03:43 AM
Lon

The '65 Corvair TurboCorsa could do the same thing. Also had a cable
for the clutch that liked to break unexpectedly. However I don't
think I'd care to try it towing a boat.

bowgus proclaimed:

Old February 5th 05, 09:00 AM

Is that 6000lbs the trailer by itself or is that when it's loaded?

If thats loaded then a 4Runner would be fine for towing every now and
then, depending on the distance you plan to tow it.

If that 6000lbs is an empty weight, once you load that trailer you will
need a 3/4 ton pickup, 2 0r 4 wheel drive with a standard transmission
no question.

Take my opinion for what it's worth, but I have been towing trailers
ever scince I was old enough to drive. I am now 32yrs old.

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 07:35 PM
TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 08:16 AM
2005 Grand Caravan for towing? Doug Dodge 2 May 17th 04 03:39 AM