More ?'s...

Old August 14th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Default More ?'s...

Still looking for a Jeep for myself. Will not be a DD so gas mileage isn't a
huge concern. I've got a lead on a 79 Cherokee (SJ?). It's got the 360 and
D44's front and rear. Full-time 4wd (quadradrive?). The price is right. I've
heard that the full time T-case (quadradrive?) is garbage and to steer
clear. It looks stock. I would be doing SOA and 33's or 35's.

Basically, I'm asking what I should look out for on these rigs besides rust?

Thanks,

Carl

Old August 14th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

This is from memory, but the full time TC was called QuadraTrac, sported
vacuum controls, an optional low range and was a favorite butt of Consumer
Reports back then, for reliability issues. The International Full Size Jeep
Association http://www.ifsja.org/ is a good place to look for information.
It is not so much that the TC is "garbage", but that the vacuum controls can
be quirky, it takes a special fluid, and parts can be hard to find.
Retrofitting a manual transfer case is a conceivable option.

Things to look out for on these rigs are rust, rust and rust. Anything else
that breaks is in principle fixable. If the price is really right, the body
is OK and you have some available real estate, then you can start collecting
running or scrap vehicles for spare parts. The engine is an obsolete thing,
as AMC is out of the full sized Jeep business. Piston rings, gaskets and
bearing inserts should still be available however. Although the
transmission is likely internally a Chrysler products 727, the case and bell
housing adapter is different. This means that rebuilding it shouldn't be a
big deal, but a cracked case can lead to a parts hunt. Electrical,
convenience parts like door handles, lift gate motor, AC evaporator, etc.
can be problematical to find, as is the case with any old car. Weatherstrip
and mouldings, good luck. Brake shoes, bearings, U-joints, carburetor
rebuild kits, ignition parts shouldn't be too bad.

Earle

. ..

Old August 14th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Thanks, Earle. I'll check closely for rust. He says its got 90,000 miles,
the price is 1500. The body looks decent.

Carl

om...

Old August 15th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Red Jeep

Yup, that's the Borg-Warner 1339 QuadraTrac. It's not a bad case, really,
but there are better. I have one of these in my '79 CJ7 and it has been
good to me. Parts are still available, check the 4WD Hardware catalog. It
takes a special fluid, don't use anything else in it! The transmission in
front of it is a Turbo 400.

The low range WAS optional. If it is there, there should be a small lever
on the floor in front of the driver's seat to control it.

The vacuum control for locking the differential in the t-case is in the
glove box. It will be labelled "Emergency Drive"

On the CJ7 w/QuadraTrac, the rear pumpkin is offset (to the right, I
think). This makes swapping in a different t-case trickier. If this is
the case in the SJ, you'll need to find one with the correct drop or swap
axles too.

Rust is indeed a big issue with Jeeps of that era. I am convinced that my
CJ7's body was made out of compressed rust...

"Earle Horton" > wrote in
om: