1992 Dodge Shadow Engine Failure...

Old March 2nd 05, 06:46 PM
LilacOpal

Default 1992 Dodge Shadow Engine Failure...

I have a 1992 Dodge Shadow & yesterday I was moving my car. I put it
in reverse and backed out no problems, then I put it in first gear &
proceeded to go. About 10 sec. after I had let the clutch all the way
out the car died. It didn’t stall, it died (stopped). I tried to turn
the car back on, but it wouln’t start. It acted like it was out of
gas. But it still had 1/2 of a tank still in it. However, I did
notice the check engine light come on, it kept blinking then it would
stop for a minute then start blinking again. I ask a family member
what it might be, and they informed me that it may be the timing belt.
But I thought I would ask a second opinion.

Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-1992...ict105695.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=491968
Old March 2nd 05, 10:53 PM
David

Turn the cars ignition to the on position ( this is just before start) do it
three times real fast and watch the check engine light, and count the
flashes. The engine light flashes the codes, and can pinpoint the problem.
It is two digit codes, so when it flashes count carefully. there is a short
pause between the first and second number. the codes will start with 12. ie)
1 - 2, and so forth. It should end with 55, 5-5. Post your results here.

"LilacOpal" <UseLinkToEmail@New & Used Cars Forums - AutoForumz.com> wrote
in message ...

Old March 3rd 05, 08:08 AM
Gene Poon

LilacOpal wrote:

> I have a 1992 Dodge Shadow & yesterday I was moving my car. I put it
> in reverse and backed out no problems, then I put it in first gear &
> proceeded to go. About 10 sec. after I had let the clutch all the way
> out the car died. It didn’t stall, it died (stopped). I tried to turn
> the car back on, but it wouln’t start. It acted like it was out of
> gas. But it still had 1/2 of a tank still in it. However, I did
> notice the check engine light come on, it kept blinking then it would
> stop for a minute then start blinking again. I ask a family member
> what it might be, and they informed me that it may be the timing belt.
> But I thought I would ask a second opinion.

Go through the diagnostic process as described in a subsequent post.

But if your 13 year old Dodge Shadow, with HOW MANY MILES ON IT has
never had its timing belt replaced, it's probably well past due. The
timing belt IS A MAINTENANCE ITEM, so its breakage at excessive time and
miles does NOT constitute "engine failure." Unlike a timing chain, it
is not intended to last the life of the car.

Fortunately the 4-cyl. engine in those K-car derivatives is
non-interference, so when the timing belt fails, whether from materials
failure or from its not being replaced when it was supposed to be, it
won't bend valves or punch holes in the pistons, like a lot of Japanese
cars' engines will.

Old March 4th 05, 03:01 AM
LilacOpal

"Gene Poon" wrote:
> LilacOpal wrote:
>
> > I have a 1992 Dodge Shadow & yesterday I was moving my car.

> I put it
> > in reverse and backed out no problems, then I put it in

> first gear &
> > proceeded to go. About 10 sec. after I had let the clutch

> all the way
> > out the car died. It didn’t stall, it died (stopped). I

> tried to turn
> > the car back on, but it wouln’t start. It acted like it was

> out of
> > gas. But it still had 1/2 of a tank still in it. However, I

> did
> > notice the check engine light come on, it kept blinking then

> it would
> > stop for a minute then start blinking again. I ask a family

> member
> > what it might be, and they informed me that it may be the

> timing belt.
> > But I thought I would ask a second opinion.

> Go through the diagnostic process as described in a subsequent
> post.
>
> But if your 13 year old Dodge Shadow, with HOW MANY MILES ON
> IT has
> never had its timing belt replaced, it's probably well past
> due. The
> timing belt IS A MAINTENANCE ITEM, so its breakage at
> excessive time and
> miles does NOT constitute "engine failure." Unlike a timing
> chain, it
> is not intended to last the life of the car.
>
> Fortunately the 4-cyl. engine in those K-car derivatives is
> non-interference, so when the timing belt fails, whether from
> materials
> failure or from its not being replaced when it was supposed to
> be, it
> won't bend valves or punch holes in the pistons, like a lot of
> Japanese
> cars' engines will.

I’ve only had the this car for about 2 yrs. and it has been a very
good car. This car was a gift. I don’t know a whole lot about this car
other than the clutch has been replaced about 2 or 3 times, and other
usual maintainance. But it does have 285,394 miles on it from trips &
what not. But back to the subject of the problem. I did what was
advised and the results a

flash, flash, flash, (pause)
flash, flash, (long pause)

flash, flash, flash, flash, flash, (pause)

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=493173
Old March 10th 05, 11:56 PM
ArchTaib

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html