Using E36 M3 shocks and springs on other E36s

Old November 27th 04, 12:15 AM
Leon

Default Using E36 M3 shocks and springs on other E36s

I was told that shocks and springs from E36 M3 will fit on other E36 body
style BMWs but only if the entire set is used together i.e. shocks and
springs have to match.Then I read some place that something may need to be
doen to the stabilizer bar as well. Can anybody set me straight on this?

Old November 27th 04, 03:23 PM
keith

"Leon" > wrote:

>I was told that shocks and springs from E36 M3 will fit on other E36 body
>style BMWs but only if the entire set is used together i.e. shocks and
>springs have to match.Then I read some place that something may need to be
>doen to the stabilizer bar as well. Can anybody set me straight on this?

not certain about the E36, but IIRC the suspension on M3's is *quite*
different to the non M versions of a model. diffrent geometry...
ie, probably a diffrent crossmember. so in general i dont think its
a good thing what you propose.
what are you trying to achieve? if you are unhappy with your current
set-up, why not consider quality after-market shocks and springs for
your car?

keith
Old November 27th 04, 07:59 PM
Matt O'Toole

keith wrote:

> "Leon" > wrote:
>
>> I was told that shocks and springs from E36 M3 will fit on other E36
>> body style BMWs but only if the entire set is used together i.e.
>> shocks and springs have to match.Then I read some place that
>> something may need to be doen to the stabilizer bar as well. Can
>> anybody set me straight on this?

> not certain about the E36, but IIRC the suspension on M3's is *quite*
> different to the non M versions of a model. diffrent geometry...
> ie, probably a diffrent crossmember. so in general i dont think its
> a good thing what you propose.
> what are you trying to achieve? if you are unhappy with your current
> set-up, why not consider quality after-market shocks and springs for
> your car?

A factory spring/shock setup has been much more extensively tested, over a wide
variety of road surfaces, and is likely to give a more refined ride for the same
level of handling. Aftermarket springs and shocks often have bad resonances
over certain road surfaces, because they were never engineered or tested for
them. They may be fine most of the time, but with occasional quirks that would
be unacceptable in a production vehicle.

That said, aftermarket stuff usually offers better value for dollar. Carmakers
usually charge a lot for their springs and shocks. Plus the M3 might require
some other bits to use the OEM springs and shocks. Aftermarket shocks, while
not always perfectly tuned (as noted above), are often better quality.

H&R makes a spring set that practically matches the M stuff. (OEM-Sport?)

Matt O.

Old November 27th 04, 08:44 PM
Richard Sperry

To answer the question, yes they will fit all E36 cars , except the 318's
(rear is different). The front anti roll bar attaches to the strut housing
on the M3 and to the lower control are LCA of all other 3ers. The roll bars
are larger also.

Old December 1st 04, 02:10 PM
adder

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message >...
> keith wrote:
>

> A factory spring/shock setup has been much more extensively tested, over a wide
> variety of road surfaces, and is likely to give a more refined ride for the same
> level of handling. Aftermarket springs and shocks often have bad resonances
> over certain road surfaces, because they were never engineered or tested for
> them. They may be fine most of the time, but with occasional quirks that would
> be unacceptable in a production vehicle.

A set of Eibachs & sachs/boge/bilstein shocks will be way better than
the (I assume used) M3 set up. A complete M3 suspension can be
swapped over including the anti-roll bars but unless for some kind of
insurance or inspection reasons you need to have something that looks
factory you're really better off going quality aftermarket. Eibach's
prokit springs are dark grey and look factory.