cam belt change on year two thousand

Old December 7th 04, 11:01 PM
bt news groups

Default cam belt change on year two thousand

does any one know how much to change a cam belt on the A 4 Avante year 2002
with 58000 miles .

if possible diy or what main agent will charge
malcolm

Old December 8th 04, 01:17 AM
Iain Miller

"bt news groups" > wrote in message
> does any one know how much to change a cam belt on the A 4 Avante year

2002
> with 58000 miles .
>
> if possible diy or what main agent will charge

Which engine?

If its a 1.8/1.8T you'd be looking at around £450+VAT at the dealer - maybe
slightly more.

If you are in the South east (of the UK), www.wheelbase.uk.com will do it
for a bit less and give a good service.

DIY will cost you around £225 in parts for the belt, tensioner, pulley and
idler pulley and then the AC Belt, the Serpantine belt and the PAS/Waterpump
belt - you'd be mad not to change the 3 V belts while you were in there. Its
a long job but not especially difficult - you have to pull the front of the
car apart.

I.

Old December 8th 04, 02:54 PM
malcolm

its a1900 tdi 5speed
thanks ian
same money or less

malcolm

Old December 8th 04, 03:30 PM
Iain Miller

"malcolm" > wrote in message
> its a1900 tdi 5speed
> thanks ian
> same money or less

I don't know - can't imagine it would be significantly less. Suggest you
riung the nearest VW dealer & ask - they usually have "menu" pricing for
cambelts & should just be able to give you a figure. Make sure that it
includes changing the tensioners & rollers & also ask about the external
drive belts as well - might as well do 'em all while they are in there.

rgds

I.

Old December 10th 04, 10:37 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Iain Miller coughed up:
> "malcolm" > wrote in message
>> its a1900 tdi 5speed
>> thanks ian
>> same money or less
>>

> I don't know - can't imagine it would be significantly less. Suggest
> you riung the nearest VW dealer & ask - they usually have "menu"
> pricing for cambelts & should just be able to give you a figure. Make
> sure that it includes changing the tensioners & rollers & also ask
> about the external drive belts as well - might as well do 'em all
> while they are in there.

Mine: 2000 / a4 / 1.8T

Back when I was a Mitsubishi eclipse gsx (AWD) owner, and this car was
notorious for dead timing belts at 100 feet past 60,000 miles, I asked a
former member of mitsubishi racing about the extra replacements that go
along with changing a timing belt on the eclipse.

He told me that replacing the water pump and tensioners was always overkill
in cars----and that it was usually a money-scam to make more money for the
dealerships and that he never does it.

Perhaps this is easy to say if you actually belong to mitsubishi and all
"your" cars are mitsubishi's, but do any of you find this to be true.

These costs are not insignificant once you start adding in *all* these
"just-in-case"'s. It really seems to get out of hand. The local guy is
demanding $1000 for my a4 TB replacement (new tensioner, water pump, few
other belts).

--
It'salwaysbeenmygoalinlifetocreateasignaturethaten dedwiththeword"blarphoogy"
..

Old December 10th 04, 11:36 PM
Steve Sears

Thomas,
When I bought my '87 5ktq, the guy I bought it from had just had the clutch
replaced. A year after I bought it, a whining/hum began which I traced to a
leaking rear crank seal. A replacement seal cost me all of about $10, but
pulling the tranny and clutch to get at the seal to replace it would cost me
big $.
From what I read here, and what I hear from other folks who work on cars,
it's often the bearings in the waterpump and tensioner that fail and take
out the belt. Once the mechanic has the old belt off, it's best to replace
those things while they're in there. Chances are, if you replace the other
things they would have lasted another 60k miles, if you don't, they'll fail
before the next belt change ;-) If they fail (and you catch them), the best
case is that it costs you _WAY_ more than it would have had you had it done
while the belt was being done.
BTW, mechanics on a race team are no more experts on the longevity of parts
than regular mechanics - maybe even less so - engines and subjected to hell
for a race or a few, and then rebuilt or replaced. Very seldom do race
engines drive the car for 60k miles without major work or replacement.
Yep, $1000 is alot of money - but so is an engine replacement.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) .......blarphoogy

Old December 11th 04, 04:04 AM
Ian S

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com>
wrote in message news:3Goud.2028$eO5.1491@trndny08...
> Iain Miller coughed up:
> > "malcolm" > wrote in message
> >> its a1900 tdi 5speed
> >> thanks ian
> >> same money or less
> >>

> > I don't know - can't imagine it would be significantly less. Suggest
> > you riung the nearest VW dealer & ask - they usually have "menu"
> > pricing for cambelts & should just be able to give you a figure. Make
> > sure that it includes changing the tensioners & rollers & also ask
> > about the external drive belts as well - might as well do 'em all
> > while they are in there.

> Mine: 2000 / a4 / 1.8T
>
> Back when I was a Mitsubishi eclipse gsx (AWD) owner, and this car was
> notorious for dead timing belts at 100 feet past 60,000 miles, I asked a
> former member of mitsubishi racing about the extra replacements that go
> along with changing a timing belt on the eclipse.
>
> He told me that replacing the water pump and tensioners was always

overkill
> in cars----and that it was usually a money-scam to make more money for the
> dealerships and that he never does it.
>
> Perhaps this is easy to say if you actually belong to mitsubishi and all
> "your" cars are mitsubishi's, but do any of you find this to be true.
>
> These costs are not insignificant once you start adding in *all* these
> "just-in-case"'s. It really seems to get out of hand. The local guy is
> demanding $1000 for my a4 TB replacement (new tensioner, water pump, few
> other belts).

The problem with not replacing the water pump is that there is a high
probablility that it will fail before the TB gets replaced again. My last
Audi's water pump went at about 85,000 miles so I think it makes good sense
to replace it along with the TB. I don't know about later models but I
believe there was an improved tensioner design after my A4 was built in
1998. In fact I understand that tensioner failuire may be a causitive factor
in the "failure" of TB's on some A4s.

Old December 12th 04, 07:28 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Steve Sears coughed up:
> Thomas,
> When I bought my '87 5ktq, the guy I bought it from had just had the
> clutch replaced. A year after I bought it, a whining/hum began which
> I traced to a leaking rear crank seal. A replacement seal cost me
> all of about $10, but pulling the tranny and clutch to get at the
> seal to replace it would cost me big $.
> From what I read here, and what I hear from other folks who work on
> cars, it's often the bearings in the waterpump and tensioner that
> fail and take out the belt. Once the mechanic has the old belt off,
> it's best to replace those things while they're in there. Chances
> are, if you replace the other things they would have lasted another
> 60k miles, if you don't, they'll fail before the next belt change ;-)
> If they fail (and you catch them), the best case is that it costs you
> _WAY_ more than it would have had you had it done while the belt was
> being done.
> BTW, mechanics on a race team are no more experts on the longevity of
> parts than regular mechanics - maybe even less so - engines and
> subjected to hell for a race or a few, and then rebuilt or replaced.
> Very seldom do race engines drive the car for 60k miles without major
> work or replacement.
> Yep, $1000 is alot of money - but so is an engine replacement.
> Cheers!
> Steve Sears
> 1987 Audi 5kTQ
> 1980 Audi 5k
> 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
> (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) .......blarphoogy

Ok, thanks. By the way, I noticed that you have the same dream-sig that I
have had.... Made me nearly fall over laughing.......

....[rip]...

--
Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

Old December 12th 04, 07:29 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Ian S coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote in
> message news:3Goud.2028$eO5.1491@trndny08...
>> Iain Miller coughed up:
>>>>
>>> I don't know - can't imagine it would be significantly less. Suggest
>>> you riung the nearest VW dealer & ask - they usually have "menu"
>>> pricing for cambelts & should just be able to give you a figure.
>>> Make sure that it includes changing the tensioners & rollers & also
>>> ask about the external drive belts as well - might as well do 'em
>>> all while they are in there.

>> Mine: 2000 / a4 / 1.8T
>>
>> Back when I was a Mitsubishi eclipse gsx (AWD) owner, and this car
>> was notorious for dead timing belts at 100 feet past 60,000 miles, I
>> asked a former member of mitsubishi racing about the extra
>> replacements that go along with changing a timing belt on the
>> eclipse.
>>
>> He told me that replacing the water pump and tensioners was always
>> overkill in cars----and that it was usually a money-scam to make
>> more money for the dealerships and that he never does it.
>>
>> Perhaps this is easy to say if you actually belong to mitsubishi and
>> all "your" cars are mitsubishi's, but do any of you find this to be
>> true.
>>
>> These costs are not insignificant once you start adding in *all*
>> these "just-in-case"'s. It really seems to get out of hand. The
>> local guy is demanding $1000 for my a4 TB replacement (new
>> tensioner, water pump, few other belts).

> The problem with not replacing the water pump is that there is a high
> probablility that it will fail before the TB gets replaced again. My
> last Audi's water pump went at about 85,000 miles so I think it makes
> good sense to replace it along with the TB. I don't know about later
> models but I believe there was an improved tensioner design after my
> A4 was built in 1998. In fact I understand that tensioner failuire
> may be a causitive factor in the "failure" of TB's on some A4s.

Asked and answered. Thank you very much.

--
Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

2001 change timing belt or not? Buying a Used Audi Audi 16 December 27th 04 06:02 PM
Belt replacement on a 2.4 JTD be037446 Alfa Romeo 4 November 4th 04 11:41 PM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM
Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM