1995 Jeep Cherokee, coolant leak Help!

Old January 21st 05, 01:01 AM
pyite724

Default 1995 Jeep Cherokee, coolant leak Help!

4.0L I6, I have a substantial coolant leak coming from right above
where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine. It is not either
of the large radiator hoses and seems to be worst when I turn the
engine off. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Maybe a
ballpark figure for the repair cost?

Old January 21st 05, 01:35 AM
Marc

I had the radiator in my 95 Cherokee country replaced a year or so ago, cost
for parts was about $130 and it took me about 2 hours to replace. I had just
had the bake rotor replaced and the very next day alas, the radiator is
gushing coolant from a seam on the side. I do most of my own maintenance
now. just can't trust any of these local garages. 50% of the time I have
taken my car to get oil or someother minor thing I drive away with big
problems.

oups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 02:06 AM
bowgus

Are you sure it is not from the water pump? There is a small hole in the
pump from which coolant will flow when the pump is failing, and when the
engine is off as in ... park the vehicle ... look under ... nothing ... come
back in a while ... puddle of coolant. Happened to me ... here's a link to
the most excellent jeepin.com fyi ...
http://jeepin.com/features/waterpump/index.asp And in my case, I also had to
replace that metal tube that's mentioned ... it was just not reusable.

oups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 02:20 AM
pyite724

It could be from the water pump but I cannot see exactly where it is
coming from. I wiped the coolant off and ran the engine for a little
bit. After I shut it off, it started to leak from somewhere right
above where the hose connects.

Old January 21st 05, 02:37 AM
bowgus

Maybe use a (spray) degreaser/cleaner on the pump and area, then take a
second look next day ... the pics at jeepin.com should help ... it's -30C
here tonight, I'm not about to go take any pics of mine to post anytime soon
:-). And my jeep's Krown treated yearly so everything underneath is oily
lookin as in ... geez ... where's it leakin from anyway. But it does sound
to me like the waterpump.

Old January 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Lon

pyite724 proclaimed:

> It could be from the water pump but I cannot see exactly where it is
> coming from. I wiped the coolant off and ran the engine for a little
> bit. After I shut it off, it started to leak from somewhere right
> above where the hose connects.

The water pump may seep a bit from the bottom, but unless it is pretty
much toast you shouldn't get visible water. Is no big deal to change
out. As likely is the radiator itself and the fluid running along the
hose.
Old January 21st 05, 02:59 PM
Mike Romain

Yup, that sure sounds like a dead waterpump.

You can get your hand under the pump with the engine off and feel along
the bottom of the nose of it. If your fingers come up wet, you have
nailed the problem.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 21st 05, 06:10 PM
pyite724

I turned the engine off and got underneath it with a flashlight and saw
the coolant dripping right off the water pump. Damn! Thanks for the
help everyone.

Old January 23rd 05, 12:36 AM
Lon

pyite724 proclaimed:

> I turned the engine off and got underneath it with a flashlight and saw
> the coolant dripping right off the water pump. Damn! Thanks for the
> help everyone.

If you have another vehicle, take the old one with you to the parts
store. Some of the jeep waterpumps come in two different directions
of drive, and putting in the wrong one will make it overheat.
If you have the serpentine, might as well swap on a new one while
you are under there.

Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors 4x4 4 January 23rd 05 06:06 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM