Audi 5000 Camshaft removal/install

Old November 6th 04, 08:34 PM
Kirk S.

Default Audi 5000 Camshaft removal/install

Hi,

I'm replacing the lifters on my 86 5000 and am having lots of trouble with
the camshaft bearing caps. If I follow the manual, there is no way that I
can put the caps back on. The procedure as I understand it is as follows:

a) place engine at TDC; marks on camshaft pulley and crankshaft
b) loosen caps 2 & 4 diagonally
c) remove caps 2 & 4
d) loosen caps 1 & 3 diagonally
e) remove caps 1 & 3

The manual calls for reinstalling in the same order. The problem is that
there is no way to install cap 4 with the lobes pushing on the lifters.

What am I doing wrong? Should I install in the reverse order? That would
make sense to me.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk S.

Old November 7th 04, 12:17 AM
Tony

Sounds like you didn't get it to TDC.

The mark that you need to align is on the BACK of the cam pulley. It lines up
with the top edge of the valve cover gasket. Of course the cam pulley is removed
now so not sure how you can check it. At TDC all the lobes should be off the
lifters.

Or your timing belt was off a few teeth before you started.

Tony
'91 100q 5 spd
(fourth T44)

Old November 7th 04, 01:01 AM
Kirk S.

Tony,

Thanks for the advice. With each cylinder firing 144 degrees from each
other, I can't see how all lobes of the camshaft can all be on low spots at
the same time. At that position, none of the lobes are openning the valves
very far. I did line up the 0 mark on the crankshaft and the mark on the
back of the cam pulley with the top of the valve cover gasket before I
started. I reversed the removal procedure and installed 1&3 first and 2&4
second. Lubed everything up with assembly lube and tightened slowly and
evenly with a 1/4" ratchet. Once I got everything tightened down evenly, I
torqued to 180in/lbs in three steps.

The way the manual described the procedure made no sense to me logically.
If I remove 2&4 first and 1&3 second, it makes logical sense to put them
back in reverse order.

Kirk S.

Old November 8th 04, 03:08 AM
Rachael

"Kirk S." > wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> Thanks for the advice. With each cylinder firing 144 degrees from each
> other, I can't see how all lobes of the camshaft can all be on low spots

at
> the same time. At that position, none of the lobes are openning the

valves
> very far. I did line up the 0 mark on the crankshaft and the mark on the
> back of the cam pulley with the top of the valve cover gasket before I
> started. I reversed the removal procedure and installed 1&3 first and 2&4
> second. Lubed everything up with assembly lube and tightened slowly and
> evenly with a 1/4" ratchet. Once I got everything tightened down evenly,

> torqued to 180in/lbs in three steps.
>
> The way the manual described the procedure made no sense to me logically.
> If I remove 2&4 first and 1&3 second, it makes logical sense to put them
> back in reverse order.
>
> Kirk S.
> "Tony" > wrote in message
> > Sounds like you didn't get it to TDC.
> >
> > The mark that you need to align is on the BACK of the cam pulley. It

lines
> up
> > with the top edge of the valve cover gasket. Of course the cam pulley is

> removed
> > now so not sure how you can check it. At TDC all the lobes should be off

> the
> > lifters.
> >
> > Or your timing belt was off a few teeth before you started.
> >
> > Tony
> > '91 100q 5 spd
> > (fourth T44)
> >
> > Kirk S. wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm replacing the lifters on my 86 5000 and am having lots of trouble

> with
> > > the camshaft bearing caps. If I follow the manual, there is no way

that
> > > can put the caps back on. The procedure as I understand it is as

> follows:
> > >
> > > a) place engine at TDC; marks on camshaft pulley and crankshaft
> > > b) loosen caps 2 & 4 diagonally
> > > c) remove caps 2 & 4
> > > d) loosen caps 1 & 3 diagonally
> > > e) remove caps 1 & 3
> > >
> > > The manual calls for reinstalling in the same order. The problem is

> that
> > > there is no way to install cap 4 with the lobes pushing on the

lifters.

> > > What am I doing wrong? Should I install in the reverse order? That

> would
> > > make sense to me.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Kirk S.

No matter where you set the camshaft, there is no way of avoiding pressing
down on some of the valves as you tighten down the camshaft. The idea of
removing/tightening alternate caps is to minimise the bending stress in the
camshaft itself. If you tighten down the outers (1&4) first, you risk
permanently bowing the camshaft upwards in the middle. Similarly, if you
tighten down the inners (2&3) first, you risk bowing it the other way. It is
less important which pair (1&3 and 2&4) you loosen/tighten first, as long as
you avoid making the camshaft span too far as a beam between supports. A
bent camshaft will obviously bind in the bearings, leading to premature
bearing wear and failure of the toothed belt. Hope that makes sense!

Rachael

Old November 9th 04, 06:12 AM
Kirk S.

> No matter where you set the camshaft, there is no way of avoiding pressing
> down on some of the valves as you tighten down the camshaft. The idea of
> removing/tightening alternate caps is to minimise the bending stress in

the
> camshaft itself. If you tighten down the outers (1&4) first, you risk
> permanently bowing the camshaft upwards in the middle. Similarly, if you
> tighten down the inners (2&3) first, you risk bowing it the other way. It

is
> less important which pair (1&3 and 2&4) you loosen/tighten first, as long

as
> you avoid making the camshaft span too far as a beam between supports. A
> bent camshaft will obviously bind in the bearings, leading to premature
> bearing wear and failure of the toothed belt. Hope that makes sense!
>
> Rachael

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I tightened down 3 first, 1 second, 4 third
and 2 last. Once I got the camshaft started, I just tightened everything up
slowly and evenly. Never turning any one cap more than 1/4 turn at a time
and keeping the cam at the same height on each cap.

Thanks! Will see how it runs with the new lifters. The old ones were
making quite a racket. Probably will replace the injectors as well.

Kirk

for sale audi 87 5000 cd The Bald Ass Prairie Farm Audi 0 October 30th 04 01:02 AM
1987 Audi 5000 Timing Belt Marti Audi 24 October 16th 04 06:17 AM
87 Audi 5000 heater/airconditioner problem Marti Audi 1 September 22nd 04 04:54 PM
In search of... Audi 5000 turbodiesel FI pump Mauricio Audi 0 July 17th 04 08:12 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM