Can't remove torque converter.

Old August 1st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Can't remove torque converter.

1995 Ford Escort 1.9l SOHC, 4 speed ATX.

I've removed all engine to ATX bolts. Put ATX on a transmission jack,
and very easily pried the ATX case from the engine block with just a
screwdriver, then my hands. Engine is supported with a top style
engine stand, so no binding between engine and ATX occurs.

However, the torque converter (tc) won't budge from the engine. I have
all 4 tc nuts off the studs which connect tc to the flexplate (is that
what the thin metal disk with the ring gear is called?). With a
hammer, I tapped on the tc studs sticking thru the flexplate, then I
gave a couple of them a good wack with a drilling hammer, but no luck;
I don't want to risk damage.

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that the tc would
stay within the ATX bellhousing when ATX separates from the engine.

I did notice 2 threaded holes on the flexplate, 180 degrees apart.
Anyone think this is to thread 2 bolts thru the flexplate into the back
of the tc to push it out?

Thanks for any help in solving this.

Harold.