When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

Old April 19th 04, 09:15 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:16:08 GMT, R. David Steele
/OMEGA> enlightened us thusly:

>Isn't the G-Wagon costing over $100,000? At that point it is no
>different than the Hummer.

apart from being half the size, so it'll actually fit into an urban
environment...

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt"
Old April 19th 04, 10:18 AM
Exit

Austin Shackles wrote:
> On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:48:57 -0500, N9NWO
> > enlightened us thusly:
>
>> So, the Defender might do as an affordable
>> combat vehicle. What is that Mercedes G-Wagon?
>> I hear that it is over $100,000!!!
>>
>> And now the army is pushing some "off the shelf"
>> Chevy truck that is going to cost $100,000 per
>> unit!!! No wonder they have to make the military
>> smaller, there is no other way to equip the troops.
>>
>> But then the Canadian army only has four tanks....

> and when was Canada last at war?

WW2 - lots of them dies very bravely too.

If you mean on their own land it was in 1812 when the US decided to invade
Canada and make it American but got beat and the borders returned to where
they were before the invasion.

--
Julian
---------

Old April 19th 04, 10:18 AM
Exit

Old April 19th 04, 03:03 PM
Aubrey

> you've hit the nail on the head it's as big as a tank
> or more to the point as wide as a tank
> they were designed to run in tank tracks

Oh, and stupid here though the average US soldier is now a plump 250 lbs
5'6" recruit .....that is why wide was better.

Old April 19th 04, 03:03 PM
Aubrey

Old April 19th 04, 06:32 PM
Adrian

Steve Firth ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>> > I think the H2 was supposed to be better.

>> I thought the H2 was a farcical joke restyle of a Chevy Suburb?

> Am I getting my numbers mixed up? I thought the Tahoe derivative was
> the H3.

The H1 is the "original" Hummer.
The H2 is a restyled Suburb/Avalanche/Escalade/Whatever.
The H3 is "rumored" to be hitting production next year. Maybe. P'raps.
Old April 19th 04, 06:32 PM
Adrian

Old April 19th 04, 11:48 PM
Dan J. S.

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
.. .
> R. David Steele /OMEGA> wrote:
>
> > Question: how tough is the Defender in comparison to the Hummer?
> > Will it take the abuse that US soldiers give?

> The Hummer has a reputation of being rather fragile, among the British
> military. Certainly the H1 at least was regarded as a mild joke rather
> than a battle vehicle. I think the H2 was supposed to be better.

Huh? I drove it in the desert in the first Gulf War and it was very
impressive. The English never had any issues with this truck. The H2 is a
joke, but the H1 is very good vehicle!

Old April 19th 04, 11:48 PM
Dan J. S.