When is the US going to get "real" Land Rovers?

Old April 18th 04, 11:47 PM
Dan J. S.

R. David Steele wrote:
> Why can't the US get Defender 90s, 110s and 130s?
>
> Why can't we have diesel powered Landies?
>
> And why doesn't the US military use the Defender as a basic, and
> cheaper, vehicle for the average troops?

The U.S. Marine anti-terrorist unit uses the Mercedes G series. Works very
well for them. Not the landrover, but still it's nice to see them use
something other than the hummer.

Old April 19th 04, 08:11 AM
QrizB

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:16:08 GMT, R. David Steele
/OMEGA> wrote:

>|> Why can't the US get Defender 90s, 110s and 130s?
>|>
>|> Why can't we have diesel powered Landies?
>|>
>|> And why doesn't the US military use the Defender as a basic, and
>|> cheaper, vehicle for the average troops?
>|
>|The U.S. Marine anti-terrorist unit uses the Mercedes G series. Works very
>|well for them. Not the landrover, but still it's nice to see them use
>|something other than the hummer.
>
>Isn't the G-Wagon costing over $100,000?

Only the tarted-up civvy ones with bunion lubrication and automatic
nose-hair clippers. Utility Gs are cheap(er).

> At that point it is no different than the Hummer.

Other than being smaller, lighter and more capable.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old April 19th 04, 08:11 AM
QrizB

Old April 19th 04, 09:10 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:52:37 -0500, N9NWO >
enlightened us thusly:

>And we have less over weight police these days. For one
>thing, the average LEO has only 3 years experience (most
>quit before they reach five years). Lots of young, athletic
>guys with big egos.

and guns... eek.

back to that "private islands for sale" site I think.

apparently, you can buy 5400 acres of island in Fiji complete with 400 head
of cows, herd of goats, village full of workers, etc., for about $15M US.

--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt"
Old April 19th 04, 09:10 AM
Austin Shackles

Old April 19th 04, 09:12 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:34:06 +0100,
(Steve Firth) enlightened us thusly:

>The SAS tend to use very old Land Rovers, Series III with a windscreen
>(only), no roof. These are both v. cheap and v. rugged and they can
>carry a decent payload.

I think they've a new one based on a 110XD.

Old April 19th 04, 09:12 AM
Austin Shackles

Old April 19th 04, 09:13 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:48:57 -0500, N9NWO >
enlightened us thusly:

>So, the Defender might do as an affordable
>combat vehicle. What is that Mercedes G-Wagon?
>I hear that it is over $100,000!!!
>
>And now the army is pushing some "off the shelf"
>Chevy truck that is going to cost $100,000 per
>unit!!! No wonder they have to make the military
>smaller, there is no other way to equip the troops.
>
>But then the Canadian army only has four tanks....

and when was Canada last at war?

Old April 19th 04, 09:13 AM
Austin Shackles

Old April 19th 04, 09:15 AM
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:16:08 GMT, R. David Steele
/OMEGA> enlightened us thusly:

>Isn't the G-Wagon costing over $100,000? At that point it is no
>different than the Hummer.

apart from being half the size, so it'll actually fit into an urban
environment...