Remote Start on 2002-2004 A6s ?

Old February 5th 05, 01:07 AM
eBob.com

Default Remote Start on 2002-2004 A6s ?

Does anyone have any experience adding remote start to a 2002, -3, or -4 A6?
The recent cold snap here in the north east has me thinking maybe I'd like
to add it to my new(er) Audi (as soon as I find one with the right options
at the right price).

Thanks, Bob

Old February 5th 05, 03:35 AM
Dave LaCourse

eBob writes:

>Does anyone have any experience adding remote start to a 2002, -3, or -4 A6?
>The recent cold snap here in the north east has me thinking maybe I'd like
>to add it to my new(er) Audi (as soon as I find one with the right options
>at the right price).

If you've never done one, your best bet is to let a professional installer do
it. After 2002, Audi put a chip in all keys and you need to be able to
over-ride that by using the valet key in the installation.

If you are near Auburn, MA, there is a store (Sound Sensations) that will
install it, and offer a lifetime warranty. Price should be around $350.

Price includes factory disarm of alarm system, keyless entry, two remotes with
1,000 foot range.

Dave
RS6

Old February 5th 05, 06:25 PM
eBob.com

Thanks Dave. I was not asking about the difficulty. I wouldn't try to do
something like that myself. I was only asking if it was possible and worked
well. I know that for my Mom's car, a Ford, the dealer recommends against
remote start. I don't recall why.

I assume you have one and would have said if you've had any problems.

Thanks for the input,

Bob

Old February 5th 05, 08:47 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:25:54 -0500, "eBob.com"
> wrote:

>Thanks Dave. I was not asking about the difficulty. I wouldn't try to do
>something like that myself. I was only asking if it was possible and worked
>well. I know that for my Mom's car, a Ford, the dealer recommends against
>remote start. I don't recall why.

I'd recommend against them for pure suspicion:

..) I don't want the engine of my car running when I'm not near.
..) That means I can't have first gear engaged in a stick shift car
..) all alarms immobilizers et al get switched off/overridden, making
the car an easy target for thiefs
..) Why in hell would I want to use the engine of a car to produce heat
when the manufacturers try hard to turn every bit of fuel into power
and _not_heat. I'd have the cold starting friction, the exhaust fumes,
the noise, the fuel consumption.

If you can get anything like a Eberspaecher or Webasto over there,
think about those.

They have years of experience for those cars and Webasto even is
supplying the optional heater package to Audi for their cars.

I use an Eberspaecher, it's started by a phone call from everywhere,
heats the car nicely and removes snow and ice on windshields in 30
minutes at temperatures belolw freezing. And that with just 0,2 Liters
of fuel.

Oh, and alarms and such remain on.

One more thing: I'm not affiliated with any of those companies, I just
think it's much more efficient and safe.

Gruß

Wolfgang

--
* Das ist meine Standardsignatur gezippt mit SigZip
Old February 5th 05, 10:54 PM
Dave LaCourse

Wolfgang writes:

>) I don't want the engine of my car running when I'm not near.
>.) That means I can't have first gear engaged in a stick shift car
>.) all alarms immobilizers et al get switched off/overridden, making
>the car an easy target for thiefs

Wrong. All alarms are still active. The car is no easier to steal than it was
before the remote was installed. It takes the ignition key in the ignition to
drive the car. Friends have one installed in their RS6 and checked with their
insurance company before installation. Insurance company okayed it.

>Oh, and alarms and such remain on.

The alarms remain on in the installations I am familiar with. The car is no
easier to steal than before. As far as fuel - I don't believe three - five
minutes of idle is going to use much fuel.

I do not have one installed in my RS6 because it sits in a relatively warm
garage, but I have family and friends that use them and swear by them.

The original question was can they be installed in 2002 - 05 Audis, and the
answer is yes, but it is best done by a professional installer. Different
strokes for different folks, Wolfgang.

Dave

Old February 6th 05, 01:26 AM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

There is nothing worse than the uneducated opinion on a subject Wolfgang.
None of your points are valid and are all untrue.

Spend some time on the subject matter first before engaging keyboard in the
future.

--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net

Old February 6th 05, 07:47 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:26:25 GMT, "AustinMini.OsiTech.Net"
(remove)> wrote:

>There is nothing worse than the uneducated opinion on a subject Wolfgang.
>None of your points are valid and are all untrue.

I admitted that Dave corrected me on the alarm issues, maybe you can
elaborate on the other items?

>Spend some time on the subject matter first before engaging keyboard in the
>future.

I will surely continue to do that.
Gruß

Wolfgang

--
* Das ist meine Standardsignatur gezippt mit SigZip
Old February 6th 05, 09:41 AM
Petri Rehtonen

On 2005-02-06, Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:26:25 GMT, "AustinMini.OsiTech.Net"
(remove)> wrote:

>>There is nothing worse than the uneducated opinion on a subject Wolfgang.
>>None of your points are valid and are all untrue.

> I admitted that Dave corrected me on the alarm issues, maybe you can
> elaborate on the other items?
>
>>Spend some time on the subject matter first before engaging keyboard in the
>>future.

> I will surely continue to do that.

Now this was civilised answer from you Wolfgang to not so civilised
posting and thank you for that. Furthermore, I really think that there
are better ways to pre-heat the car and it is never good idea to let the
engine run without observation. I have a suspicion that these kind of
devices (remote start) are forbidden atleast here in Finland (were the
need is true) as I have never heard anybody using them.

To the original poster: evaluate other choices.

--
Petri Rehtonen
Old February 6th 05, 03:09 PM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

Petri, civility is relative. I have no patience for dissemination of wrong
information and thus have no obligation to be civil to you but yes Wolfgang
respond admirably but you are a flame fanning moron. There are no better
alternative. The original poster wasn't asking for your sermon he was merely
asking for how it should be done to an A6.

If you don't want to do it to your car that is fine, some of us are using it
for years with no issues.

Get your head out of your arse. Now how is that for uncivility - lol.
--