No start issues, 1998 sl1

Old May 4th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default No start issues, 1998 sl1

hello! I have a 1998 sl1, and for three weeks now I have a no-start
problem. Won't start late at night or early in the morning, I assume
cold weather. Just started on easter. Three mechanics including the
saturn dealer can't figure it out. I've had new spark plugs & wires,
all codes checked and fixed, and a new fuel pump/filter. Total cost so
far $1000.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gina Marie

Old May 5th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

You paid a professional (or professionals) a thousand bucks and they can't
figure it out? Holy crap. Normally a mechanic does a diagnostic to
determine the problem BEFORE throwing parts at it and charging you for them.
You may want to shop around to find a competent shop that operates in this
manner.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

ups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Lane,

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the diagnosatic checks at three places aren't
showing what's wrong with it. I'm not stupid. Any codes that come up
are being fixed. Low fuel pressure, we fix it. Broken spark plug, we
fix it. Codes, we fix them.

It still won't start at night/early AM.

As far as competent shop. How about one that an entire family uses, and
most people in town, for many years with out issues?

I was hoping someone who had the same problems in the past could help.
I really don't need advice on how to get a car fixed, i need advice
abour THE CAR.

Thanks,
Gina Marie

Old May 5th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Understood.

Have you considered leaving it with the shop, and letting them
monitor/troubleshoot it when the problem is occurring? Plugging into the
computer and looking at all the sensors and other various readings when the
problem is happening could be beneficial, if it hasn't been done already...

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks. yeah, each place has had it, to tinker with. Done the computer
diagnostics on it a bunch of times. They keep it for a week at a time.
Sometimes it starts every day for a few days, so they can;t diagnose
the problem when it;s starting. They needed to wait for it to not
start. SO frustrating. I've been wiht out the car for three weeks now.

Saturn keeps telling me it's a loose connections, and they fixed it,
then in the AM< it won't start. Even they are stuck.

Thanks.

Old May 6th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Neutral position sensor is a good thought. You can diagnose by moving the
shifter into neutral and park to see if it starts.

I am assuming you have some power and battery is good (headlights light,
etc.)

Other possibilities are a bad/dirty battery cable or connection, a bad
starter solenoid, a bad starter relay, bad starter, or defective
ignition/key switch.

At that age, I'd suspect the solenoid. Any competent mechanic should be
able to trace this circuit and find the problem WHEN IT IS FAILING. I
understand that if it is not failing and intermittent that it is impossible
to diagnose.

Good luck

Bob

"BläBlä" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> says...
>> it won't turn over. I turn the key, everything clicks, lights work,
>> radio, dashboard.. just won't turn.
>>
>> I'l tell them to check the coolant sensor. thanks, that helps.

> Ohhh that gives us something more to go on. The coolant sensor has
> nothing to do with case so forget that. If you get this again try moving
> the shifter and starting in neutral or park. You may be having a problem
> with your "Neutral Position Switch".

93 eurovan keeps blowing fuse 15 and will not start....... [email protected] VW air cooled 5 November 20th 05 03:40 AM
Is it a sign that it is a battery problem if it is difficult to start a car in a hot or humid day? Honda2nd Honda 6 November 17th 05 08:22 PM
No start in cold Aberrant Technology 0 February 22nd 05 05:38 AM
No start in cold Aberrant Technology 1 February 22nd 05 03:38 AM
2000 Civic LX hard to start, no spark at all. Alan Russell Honda 15 November 2nd 04 11:01 AM