Difficulty selecting reverse

Old August 2nd 04, 10:47 AM
John

Default Difficulty selecting reverse

I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.

Am I going to be on the end of a big bill for a new gearbox soon ?

Previous owner had reversing sensors (bleeps when you get too close)
fitted - is there any way this could have screwed anything up ?

thanks
Old August 2nd 04, 12:59 PM
Catman

John wrote:

> I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.
>
> Am I going to be on the end of a big bill for a new gearbox soon ?
>
> Previous owner had reversing sensors (bleeps when you get too close)
> fitted - is there any way this could have screwed anything up ?

No idea about the box on it's way out, but I can't see any reason why the
sensors should have had any effect.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 2nd 04, 07:01 PM
Neil G

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.

Me too. Some times. Have you tried double-declutching? This usually
works.

Neil

Old August 3rd 04, 02:40 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.
>
> Am I going to be on the end of a big bill for a new gearbox soon ?
>
> Previous owner had reversing sensors (bleeps when you get too close)
> fitted - is there any way this could have screwed anything up ?

When you are having this difficulty have you tried putting the car into
first and moving forward a tiny bit, and then try reverse again? I had to
do this on a couple of cars I've had in the past.

ss.

Old August 3rd 04, 08:22 AM
Carl Farrington

John wrote:
> I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.
>
> Am I going to be on the end of a big bill for a new gearbox soon ?
>
> Previous owner had reversing sensors (bleeps when you get too close)
> fitted - is there any way this could have screwed anything up ?
>
> thanks

on my GTV I regularly had to lift the clutch back out and try again.

Old August 3rd 04, 09:20 AM
John

Neil - how do you double declutch ? I've heard this term but never
really understood what it is and why it would make a difference. I'll
also do a Google on it to find out a bit more.

ss. - I'll try what you suggest, thanks
Old August 3rd 04, 01:24 PM
ph12

"John" > wrote in message
om...
> Neil - how do you double declutch ? I've heard this term but never
> really understood what it is and why it would make a difference. I'll
> also do a Google on it to find out a bit more.

Double de-clutching is what drivers used to do in the days before
synchromesh gearboxes to give smooth down shifts. It consists of letting out
the clutch after one gear is disengaged and before engaging another and is
usually accompanied by a blip of the accelerator to increase the speed of
the input shaft to what it needs to be in the lower gear. (boy racers in hot
Minis and Escorts used to do it all the time)

The can't get into reverse problem could be as simple as when the clutch is
depressed the gears that need to mesh stop with 2 teeth coinciding and so
you need to let the clutch out briefly to move one gear relative to the
other

Hope that helps

Peter

Old August 4th 04, 06:15 AM
Ppelectron

>> I sometimes (often) find it hard to get my '98 156 V6 into reverse.
>>
>> Am I going to be on the end of a big bill for a new gearbox soon ?
>>
>> Previous owner had reversing sensors (bleeps when you get too close)
>> fitted - is there any way this could have screwed anything up ?
>>
>> thanks

I have the same car, same engine, same age and get the same problem. The clutch
on mine is nearing the end of it's life. The solution is to release the clutch
then press it again and make sure you press it right to the floor. 9 times out
of 10, reverse gear will then be selectable. It's not an Alfa trait
particularly. I have had other cars do the same thing.