Order Of Error Codes

Old December 2nd 04, 12:10 PM
Michale

Default Order Of Error Codes

This is kinda strange. I am beginning to think it is a "Ghost In The
Machine" issue.

Anyways, I have posted about my error codes. If I recall correctly, the
sequence of error codes was:

12 15 46 25 24 23

Now, 12 I know is a no biggie code. 46 came up only a couple times and I
have not seen it in a couple days. So, last night, right before I replaced
the TPS unit, I did a code check and got this:

12 15 25 24

In that order.

After replacing the TPS, I drove the car around the block for testing and
when I got back, I did the error code check again.

This time the order was

12 24 15 25

As you can see, the TPS error code is still there but has shifted position
from the last on the list to the second. Now, I am thinking that there may
be an adjustment period before the error code will clear.

But is the order that the error codes appear in significant?
Old December 2nd 04, 06:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Michale wrote:

> This is kinda strange. I am beginning to think it is a "Ghost In The
> Machine" issue.
>
> Anyways, I have posted about my error codes. If I recall correctly, the
> sequence of error codes was:
>
> 12 15 46 25 24 23

If these codes were read correctly, the vehicle doesn't run or drive very
well right now.

12, Start of codes
15, Vehicle speed/distance sensor signal absent
46, Charging system fault
25, Target idle speed not attainable (usually AIS-related)
24, Throttle position sensor voltage out of range
23, Air temp sensor fault

You didn't mention the 55 (end of codes), did you get it? You'll ALWAYS
get a 55 at the end of the flash codes, so if you didn't, then you counted
flashes wrong.

> Now, 12 I know is a no biggie code. 46 came up only a couple times and I
> have not seen it in a couple days.

Test your charging system and examine the wire connections carefully,
especially at the alternator -- trouble's brewin'.

> So, last night, right before I replaced the TPS unit, I did a code check
> and got this: 12 15 25 24 In that order. After replacing the TPS, I
> drove the car around the block for testing and when I got back, I did
> the error code check again. This time the order was 12 24 15 25.

OK, are you clearing the codes each time?

> As you can see, the TPS error code is still there but has shifted
> position from the last on the list to the second. Now, I am thinking
> that there may be an adjustment period before the error code will clear.

That sounds as though you're *not* clearing the codes each time.
Disconnect either the negative battery cable or the pull-apart main
disconnect in the positive battery line about 6 inches from the battery,
and leave it disconnected for 2 minutes or so, then reconnect it, drive
the car and recheck your codes.

> But is the order that the error codes appear in significant?

No.

DS
Old December 2nd 04, 06:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
maxpower

The 46 code have something to do with each fault, , if the voltage is out of
range it could cause faulty readings on the sensors. the first step in
trouble shoooting these faults is to make sure the proper voltage is correct

Old December 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
maxpower

Old December 2nd 04, 09:18 PM
Michale

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
n.umich.edu:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Michale wrote:
>
>> This is kinda strange. I am beginning to think it is a "Ghost In The
>> Machine" issue.
>>
>> Anyways, I have posted about my error codes. If I recall correctly,
>> the sequence of error codes was:
>>
>> 12 15 46 25 24 23

> If these codes were read correctly, the vehicle doesn't run or drive
> very well right now.

Actually, at the time it ran TOO well.. See 4500 RPM thread..

> 12, Start of codes
> 15, Vehicle speed/distance sensor signal absent
> 46, Charging system fault
> 25, Target idle speed not attainable (usually AIS-related)
> 24, Throttle position sensor voltage out of range
> 23, Air temp sensor fault
>
> You didn't mention the 55 (end of codes), did you get it? You'll
> ALWAYS get a 55 at the end of the flash codes, so if you didn't, then
> you counted flashes wrong.

Yes, I did get the 55 Error code, but simply failed to mention it, as I
understood what it meant.

>> Now, 12 I know is a no biggie code. 46 came up only a couple times
>> and I have not seen it in a couple days.

> Test your charging system and examine the wire connections carefully,
> especially at the alternator -- trouble's brewin'.

This car has been flooded, thanx to our wonderful hurricane season we
just finished up down here in Central FL. I suspect some of the
electrical connections are a tad wanky, hence the inconsistency in the
error codes.

>> So, last night, right before I replaced the TPS unit, I did a code
>> check and got this: 12 15 25 24 In that order. After replacing the
>> TPS, I drove the car around the block for testing and when I got
>> back, I did the error code check again. This time the order was 12 24
>> 15 25.

> OK, are you clearing the codes each time?
>
>> As you can see, the TPS error code is still there but has shifted
>> position from the last on the list to the second. Now, I am thinking
>> that there may be an adjustment period before the error code will
>> clear.

> That sounds as though you're *not* clearing the codes each time.
> Disconnect either the negative battery cable or the pull-apart main
> disconnect in the positive battery line about 6 inches from the
> battery, and leave it disconnected for 2 minutes or so, then reconnect
> it, drive the car and recheck your codes.
>

>> But is the order that the error codes appear in significant?

> No.
>
> DS

I did not clear the codes as I wasn't aware this was necessary. Thanx
for the heads up. I will do that tonight.

Thanx again.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:18 PM
Michale

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in
n.umich.edu:

Old December 3rd 04, 03:10 PM
Mike Behnke

Michale wrote:

> This car has been flooded, thanx to our wonderful hurricane season we
> just finished up down here in Central FL. I suspect some of the
> electrical connections are a tad wanky, hence the inconsistency in the
> error codes.

So now is a good time to probably either:

1) Pull all of the electrical connections that one can get at apart,
clean the contact and apply dielectric grease.

2) Sell the car.
Old December 3rd 04, 03:10 PM
Mike Behnke

Old December 3rd 04, 03:35 PM
Michale

Mike Behnke > wrote in :

> Michale wrote:
>

>> This car has been flooded, thanx to our wonderful hurricane season we
>> just finished up down here in Central FL. I suspect some of the
>> electrical connections are a tad wanky, hence the inconsistency in the
>> error codes.
>>

> So now is a good time to probably either:
>
> 1) Pull all of the electrical connections that one can get at apart,
> clean the contact and apply dielectric grease.
>
> 2) Sell the car.

Option one is my best bet as option two has already been vetoed by the
spousal unit. Regardless of it's problems or the hassles, she loves her
car.

While I have ya'all reading, does anyone know what vicinity of the car the
VSS (Vehicle Speed Senor) that is attached to the transaxle is located?

Thanx

Michale

Mail order from Canada to US? David BMW 0 October 19th 04 05:32 PM
Firing order? lp13-30 Chrysler 4 October 17th 04 05:09 PM
what kind of sheet metal to order? Paul Farber 4x4 6 May 3rd 04 08:11 PM