2004 Jeep Liberty brake problem.

Old August 15th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Fred

Default 2004 Jeep Liberty brake problem.

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty that I purchased brand new in November of 2003.
I have 18,231 miles on it and the brake rotors are bad. The dealer told me
that they need to be turned. I was not happy with the fact that it was not
covered under their 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty. I told them I would
take it somewhere else to have the rotors turned because their price was
ridiculous. The Service Manager told me that I should make sure that the
rotors were turned on the vehicle because that is the only way they are
supposed to be done on the Jeep Liberty. Has anyone else had this problem
with only 18,000 miles on their Jeep and is it true that the rotors have to
be turned on the vehicle? Thanks for any comments on this problem.

Old August 15th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

It would appear it is a really common scam the $tealerships are pulling
these days.

They use an impact gun to install the tires and the rotors warp. They
then sucker you for a turn and use the impact gun again on the tires so
the turn doesn't last at all. They are 'supposed' to finish tightening
the wheels by hand with a torque wrench so the lugs push evenly on the
rotors.

If you go into their shop, I will bet you will see the so called 'techs'
just hammering wheels on with no torque wrench to be seen.

Even if they claim they use 'torque sticks' on their gun, these are not
accurate enough to prevent warpage. New out of the box, those sticks
are still +/- something like 15% which can make a 30 ft lb up or down
difference at 100 ft lb of torque.

Half the time, rather than replace, the rotors get turned under
warranty, then they hammer the wheels back on and the next one is a
replacement just after the warranty is up.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 15th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

I have 80,000 miles on the brakes on my 1995 Wrangler, with no work
performed on them except for an occasional fluid flush and inspection of the
front pads and the rear shoes. Your theory makes some sense. In 18,231
miles the OP maybe had the tires rotated once, enough to get the rotors
warped if they used an impact wrench.

Fred, what work have you had done on the vehicle previously? Specifically,
have you had the wheels taken off before, and why?

Earle

Old August 15th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Fred

I had the tires rotated at 12,000 miles by the dealer, nothing else has been
done to the vehicle. I feel that the rotors should not wear or warp at
18,000 miles, and is it necessary to have them turned on the vehicle, or are
they just trying to get me to have the dealer do the job?

Fred

om...

Old August 15th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Have you priced new rotors? They are a basic DIY job to put on and cost
$89.00 ea. locally.

Mike

Old August 15th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jerry Bransford

You possibly misunderstood that they need to be turned while still
mounted on the axle, I just don't see how rotors can be turned (which
requires a lathe) like that.

And rotors can not only warp from lug nuts not being tightened equally
(which is getting rare now due to heavier-duty rotors being used now on
Jeeps) but from overheating the rotors from hard braking as well. NO
automotive manufacturer will warranty the brake assembly for wear or
warped rotors beyond a "courtesy" period which is often around 12,000
miles. The reason is that brake wear and rotor warping is not generally
under control of the manufacturer since one customer might get 60,000
miles out of a set of brakes where someone else may only get 10-12,000
miles out of them.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old August 15th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

I am not familiar with the Liberty axle design, but I have seen disks turned
while on the hub. I don't see how you could turn one, without taking the
disk or the hub off the vehicle and mounting it in a lathe. It is possible
that Mike's theory is correct, and that this dealer's use of air impact
wrenches generates a lot of brake work for him. I don't know how you could
prove it though. You are going to say, "You messed up my brake disks" and
they are going to say, "Your driving style is out of our control, and that
is why the manufacturer does not warranty brakes".

If you have this many questions about the dealer's service department, it
wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. There must be lots of brake and
muffler shops in your town.

Earle

Old August 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

what a load of **** he gave u! get some autozone rotors and forget turning the
rotors you will be better off in the long run

Old August 17th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

actually jeep made the on the car brake lathe a essential tool when the wj's
came out with the rotor problem they had and it didn't help