TJ brake light problem, Help needed please.

Old May 30th 05, 03:59 PM
Mike Romain

Default TJ brake light problem, Help needed please.

A friend has a 98 TJ and the brake lights don't appear to have power.

The signals work and the emergency flasher works but the brake pedal
doesn't.

I haven't crawled under myself because I am not able, but from the
schematics (I only have the 2003 TJ wiring schematics, not the 98 one)
it appears the pink wire should be hot all the time from the fuse. My
friend says he sees .5 to 1.0 volts there with my meter. None of the
other wires are hot and the switch is dangling now (removed) so it
should be 'on'.

The fuse appears to be fine.

Is there something else I am missing that might crap out the power to
the switch?

Thanks for any ideas,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 31st 05, 04:44 AM
Bob

You need to check the ground strap between the battery and the chassis......
sorry, couldn't help myself...lol
Bob

Old May 31st 05, 01:43 PM
Mike Romain

Actually he came over before with dim headlights so we did change that
strap and can safely eliminate that as the problem....

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 04:18 AM
Bob

Well..... I was just joking, but I'm glad you practice what you preach, even
though it's a problem only a small percentage of the time it's easily
checked, repaired or ruled out.
Bob
"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Actually he came over before with dim headlights so we did change that
> strap and can safely eliminate that as the problem....
>
> Mike
>
> Bob wrote:
>>
>> You need to check the ground strap between the battery and the
>> chassis......
>> sorry, couldn't help myself...lol
>> Bob
>> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>> >A friend has a 98 TJ and the brake lights don't appear to have power.
>> >
>> > The signals work and the emergency flasher works but the brake pedal
>> > doesn't.
>> >
>> > I haven't crawled under myself because I am not able, but from the
>> > schematics (I only have the 2003 TJ wiring schematics, not the 98 one)
>> > it appears the pink wire should be hot all the time from the fuse. My
>> > friend says he sees .5 to 1.0 volts there with my meter. None of the
>> > other wires are hot and the switch is dangling now (removed) so it
>> > should be 'on'.
>> >
>> > The fuse appears to be fine.
>> >
>> > Is there something else I am missing that might crap out the power to
>> > the switch?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any ideas,
>> >
>> > Mike
>> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 5 May 24th 05 05:27 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 5 March 21st 05 06:33 AM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 09:14 AM
Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 29th 05 12:24 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 18th 04 06:15 AM