Is Big Brother Watching?

Old May 8th 05, 10:51 PM
Bishoop

Default Is Big Brother Watching?

I registered my Buick on the GM web site when I purchased it new about 2-1/2
years ago. I checked the web site today for the very first time since
registration.

To my surprise they pegged the mileage on the car within 100 miles.

I have the OnStar package but do not subscribe. Are they monitoring the
mileage via this link or do they have a "very good" algorithm that can
figure it out. I haven't had the car into the dealer in over six months.

Just curious.....

Old May 8th 05, 11:11 PM
James C. Reeves

When you register, I think the web site provides a question that asks you
what your normal annual mileage is. At least that is what I remembered when
I registered. The site is probably calculating your current mileage from
that. I'll post this to the GM NG...someone there may know more about this.
Although you do raise a interesting question.

Old May 8th 05, 11:28 PM
Bishoop

"James C. Reeves" > wrote in message
> When you register, I think the web site provides a question that asks you
> what your normal annual mileage is. At least that is what I remembered
> when I registered. The site is probably calculating your current mileage
> from that. I'll post this to the GM NG...someone there may know more
> about this. Although you do raise a interesting question.
>
> "Bishoop" > wrote in message
>>I registered my Buick on the GM web site when I purchased it new about
>>2-1/2 years ago. I checked the web site today for the very first time
>>since registration.
>>
>> To my surprise they pegged the mileage on the car within 100 miles.
>>
>> I have the OnStar package but do not subscribe. Are they monitoring the
>> mileage via this link or do they have a "very good" algorithm that can
>> figure it out. I haven't had the car into the dealer in over six months.
>>
>> Just curious.....

As you suggested, I did supply my normal driving habits when I signed up.

To only miss by 100 miles out of 32300 is only 0.3%. That's pretty darn
good. Now if GM could only manage their company that well they'd have
something!!

Old May 8th 05, 11:31 PM
Bill 2

"Bishoop" > wrote in message
>I registered my Buick on the GM web site when I purchased it new about
>2-1/2 years ago. I checked the web site today for the very first time
>since registration.
>
> To my surprise they pegged the mileage on the car within 100 miles.
>
> I have the OnStar package but do not subscribe. Are they monitoring the
> mileage via this link or do they have a "very good" algorithm that can
> figure it out. I haven't had the car into the dealer in over six months.

Since you have brought the vehicle into the dealership, as recently as 6
months ago, they can know what mileage you have, then extrapolate 6 months
based on your average accumulation of miles.

Old May 8th 05, 11:33 PM
James C. Reeves

"Bishoop" > wrote in message

> "James C. Reeves" > wrote in message
>> When you register, I think the web site provides a question that asks you
>> what your normal annual mileage is. At least that is what I remembered
>> when I registered. The site is probably calculating your current mileage
>> from that. I'll post this to the GM NG...someone there may know more
>> about this. Although you do raise a interesting question.
>>
>> "Bishoop" > wrote in message
>>>I registered my Buick on the GM web site when I purchased it new about
>>>2-1/2 years ago. I checked the web site today for the very first time
>>>since registration.
>>>
>>> To my surprise they pegged the mileage on the car within 100 miles.
>>>
>>> I have the OnStar package but do not subscribe. Are they monitoring the
>>> mileage via this link or do they have a "very good" algorithm that can
>>> figure it out. I haven't had the car into the dealer in over six
>>> months.
>>>
>>> Just curious.....

> As you suggested, I did supply my normal driving habits when I signed up.

Probably a fluke that they got that close. I don't think mine came out that
close. It could also be that your mileage use rate was updated in the
system by the dealer each time you had the car in for service and warranty
work.

> To only miss by 100 miles out of 32300 is only 0.3%. That's pretty darn
> good.

I'll say!

> Now if GM could only manage their company that well they'd have
> something!!

You're going to get the two of us in trouble with the GM lemmings in the GM
group saying stuff like that! ;-)

Old May 9th 05, 02:05 AM
James C. Reeves

Interesting. GM surely will close that hack pronto.

Old May 9th 05, 02:13 AM
Bill 2

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> Either they made an extremely lucky guess, or it's time to rip out
> that On*Star control unit. Make sure you leave the GPS intact - you
> can use it for your own nav system someday if you decide to install
> one.

Will it show satellite photos?

Old May 10th 05, 12:12 AM
James C. Reeves

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 21:05:26 -0400, "James C. Reeves"
> > wrote:
>
>>Interesting. GM surely will close that hack pronto.

> Doubtful. It's been "in the wild" for many months already.
>
> --

Won't they loose sales of the $1,500 option GPS systems if they don't?

Old May 10th 05, 03:47 AM
Bill 2

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:13:27 GMT, "Bill 2" > wrote:
>
>>> Either they made an extremely lucky guess, or it's time to rip out
>>> that On*Star control unit. Make sure you leave the GPS intact - you
>>> can use it for your own nav system someday if you decide to install
>>> one.

>>Will it show satellite photos?

> Yeah - and it will have a little highlighted circle around your car.

What if it's cloudy?

Old May 10th 05, 05:07 AM
L Sternn

On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:13:27 GMT, "Bill 2" > wrote:

>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Either they made an extremely lucky guess, or it's time to rip out
>> that On*Star control unit. Make sure you leave the GPS intact - you
>> can use it for your own nav system someday if you decide to install
>> one.

>Will it show satellite photos?

Eventually, they'll have UAVs to deal with that - you should even be
able to get a jump-start from one.