Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Acceleration Delay

Old August 25th 04, 02:14 PM
James Ewen

Default Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Acceleration Delay

Have a friend with a 156 (99 T reg) 2.5 V6 Veloce with which there is a
problem. For days on end, a delay is experienced between pressing the
accelerator and getting any acceleration. The delay is also experienced
upon changing gear. This can be followed by a period of days where it all
works normally. So, could be described as intermittent.

All ideas welcome ;-).

Rgds

Stuart (156 2.5 V6 Lusso)

Old August 25th 04, 07:32 PM
Jacopo

It's an engine management computer malfunction. He has to check the
accelerator's CPU. No idea where it is located!

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old August 26th 04, 10:56 AM
Buzzardous Cross

I think your friend should read the following page:
http://www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk/diagnosticpage.html

The 2.5V6 uses a throttle position sensor and apparently this part can
be a bummer to diagnose. I've also read somewhere about intermittent
problems when the sender can't send the throttle position correctly to
the ECU.

BC

Old August 26th 04, 02:02 PM
James Ewen

> http://www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk/diagnosticpage.html
>
> The 2.5V6 uses a throttle position sensor and apparently this part can
> be a bummer to diagnose. I've also read somewhere about intermittent
> problems when the sender can't send the throttle position correctly to
> the ECU.
>
> BC

Yes, I had at look at that page and it seemed to suggest that it would
either work or it wouldn't. I'll be running a diagnostic on the car later
today, so maybe there might be some sort of fault code registering. It's
interesting to see what kind of faults mine might develop in future :O .

Rgds

Stuart

Old August 26th 04, 08:48 PM
James Ewen

> Yes, I had at look at that page and it seemed to suggest that it would
> either work or it wouldn't. I'll be running a diagnostic on the car later
> today, so maybe there might be some sort of fault code registering. It's
> interesting to see what kind of faults mine might develop in future :O .

For information :

We found the cause (we think). It would have helped if the fault was
consistent, but in this case it started working fine again a few hours
before the diagnostic check. There was an error recorded as "Improbable
throttle position". Throttle position at rest should be between 2%-9%
(actual value was 7%). At full depression, between 63%-69% (actual value
62%). So acceptable limits, and throttle take up was normal during a road
test. Error was reset before commencing test and did not reappear.
Suggestion from auto electrician was that the connector block at the
accelerator may be dirty and sometimes the connection is not what it should
be thus causing the error above. Possible fix is to clean connectors and
make sure of good fit.

Had the fault still been present at the time, we could have measured the
potentiometers etc... but chances are they are ok with or without the fault.

Tell you what though, I need to get myself a cable and some software for the
laptop, cos it's damn good!

Rgds

Stuart

Old August 27th 04, 10:00 AM
Yoeri Gemeen

nothing like a good old accelerator pedal with a cable ^^

Joe
---
AR 164 3.0 V6
and hopefully in the near future AR 90 2.6 V6

"James Ewen" > schreef in bericht
. uk...
> > Yes, I had at look at that page and it seemed to suggest that it would
> > either work or it wouldn't. I'll be running a diagnostic on the car

later
> > today, so maybe there might be some sort of fault code registering.

It's
> > interesting to see what kind of faults mine might develop in future :O

..