Auto Salesmen and their antics

Old February 2nd 05, 06:50 AM
indi

Default Auto Salesmen and their antics

I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the salesman
goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean exactly
that, or is it just a stall tactic?

Thanks much!

Brandon

Old February 2nd 05, 07:54 AM
Spike

9 out of 10 is a STALL!!!!!!! Make the buyer think you are doing the
best you can BUT the MANAGER just won't go for it, that the buyer
will have to come up in their offer.

And it's not unusual, unless you cave, for the salesman to go back to
the manager a couple of times.

It is also true that a lot of salesmen must get the manager's approval
on the deal they make. So he could be trying hard for you but doesn't
have the authority for final approval.

Do your homework BEFORE you go. Learn the value of the vehicle and the
values of any options and what the general dealer pays for the
vehicle so equipped. Consumer Reports is really good about providing
this info on new cars every year. They tell you what the dealer's mark
up is. That gives you an idea how much they can come down in price and
still have a reasonable profit.

And if you can't get a reasonable deal... WALK....

My former father-in-law wanted a motor home. They wanted $47,000. He
already figured the values and profits. He told them what he was
offering. When they wouldn't meet his offer, he walked. He went back
to that same dealer several times over the course of a couple of
months (he was going to other dealers in the region at the same time).
Every time his offer was rejected, he walked. One day he was sitting
at home when the phone rang. It was the dealership. They accepted his
offer and told him to come get it. The price for a brand new motor
home... $26,000. Then they tried to get him with the payments.
He pulled out cash. Really bummed them out.... but he got what he
wanted. Used it twice for trips in the following 10 years before he
died.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:50:45 -0800, "indi" <bbostonATtelisphere.com>
wrote:

>I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the salesman
>goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean exactly
>that, or is it just a stall tactic?
>
>Thanks much!
>
>Brandon

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old February 2nd 05, 08:12 AM
Jim Warman

Study up on psychology.... not to say that salespeople are psychologists,
but they have training courses that lead them where they need to go. When it
comes to cars, there are more cars sold with the little head doing more of
the thinking than anything else. Next time you go into a store, look at the
way the store is laid out.... psychology at work.....

A poor salesman will lie to you... a good salesman will let you think you
made your own decision...

Old February 2nd 05, 02:56 PM
somedumbcarguy

indi wrote:
> I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the

salesman
> goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean

exactly
> that, or is it just a stall tactic?

No, it's not a stall tactic, it's a smoke break designed to take
control of the customer. A standard "if I could, would ya" break, so we
can tell you no because we know you're so emotionaly attached to the
vehicle that your greed will overcome you when we need a bump for more
gross. We do this even if you are willing to pay full pop. This is
because we know how emotional buyers are.

Oh.. and to the buyers that think they "beat" the dealer, when you
leave we always have your money. We can replace our product easily,we
never loose.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:24 PM

"somedumbcarguy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> indi wrote:
> > I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the

> salesman
> > goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean

> exactly
> > that, or is it just a stall tactic?

> No, it's not a stall tactic, it's a smoke break designed to take
> control of the customer. A standard "if I could, would ya" break, so we
> can tell you no because we know you're so emotionaly attached to the
> vehicle that your greed will overcome you when we need a bump for more
> gross. We do this even if you are willing to pay full pop. This is
> because we know how emotional buyers are.
>
> Oh.. and to the buyers that think they "beat" the dealer, when you
> leave we always have your money. We can replace our product easily,we
> never loose.

"lose". Spelling lesson over.

And if a customer is paying less than the dealer wants.. I dunno if that's
considered "beating the dealer", but it's definitely a lot better than
paying MORE than you wanted to. And yes, dealers have the money and we have
the car. What? Did you just want our money AND keep the car? Keep dreaming.
God you sound like BeverlyOmasta or whatever the funk.

-Mike

Old February 2nd 05, 11:34 PM
Spike

until a customer comes back armed to the teeth and goes postal on the
whole lot of ya. My dad sold cars for a short period. But he had
ethics and when he found he could not do to the customers what his
employers wanted him to do... essentially LIE and CHEAT... he quit.
Many decades later, he had his own businesses where he made enough to
keep afloat but he gave the customers the best cut he possibly could.
He sold far more at lower prices, but the customers always came back
and directed their friends to him as well. And if he could not make
the deal better for the customer, he would refer the customer to his
competition if they had a better deal. Of course, he was "old school".
A handshake was as good as any paper contract. Of course, the state
wouldn't let him get away with that....

Old February 3rd 05, 12:02 AM
mustangjoe

Hey the best advice I can give you is do your homework and don't be
afraid to walk out if you have to. When I bought my '03 Gt Vert (new)
I went in with a number in mind after doing my home work. The car
stickered for 30K, After a lengthy negotiation a d the salesman making
3 trips to "Talk to his boss" we got to 25K. My number was 23. When
then salsemen said thqt tat was impossible, I got up to leave (it was
killing me, Ireally loved the sonic blu get vert!). It wasn't a ploy
on my part, I was honest and told him I didn't think the car was worth
25K. Before I could get to the front door, the salesmen and his
manager raced over and solld me the car for 23K

ZombyWoof wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:50:45 -0800, "indi" <bbostonATtelisphere.com>
> wrote something wonderfully witty:
>
> >I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the

salesman
> >goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean

exactly
> >that, or is it just a stall tactic?
> >
> >Thanks much!
> >
> >Brandon
> >

> It is both. Nowadays most sales people aren't authorized to make a
> deal. There are one or two guys who run numbers and can approve any
> deal. I usually go in pre-armed with all the information I can find
> on the car, invoice price, rebates, incentives, and time on lot of

the

Old February 3rd 05, 01:02 AM
Kruse

Jim Warman wrote:
> Study up on psychology.... not to say that salespeople are

psychologists,
> but they have training courses that lead them where they need to go.

EXACTLY! The new car salesmen take classes on how to read the customer.
(I've seen the class tapes) For example: If a customer has his arms
crossed, it means he is stubborn and probably won't budge. If he will
not make eye contact, he is uncomfortable. etc, etc.

The salesman usually have the edge. Know all your facts before entering
the dealership.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:08 AM
Wound Up

somedumbcarguy wrote:
> indi wrote:
>
>>I have a curiosity question... what does it really mean when the

> salesman
>
>>goes to the back to talk about my offer on a car? Does it mean

> exactly
>
>>that, or is it just a stall tactic?

> No, it's not a stall tactic, it's a smoke break designed to take
> control of the customer. A standard "if I could, would ya" break, so we
> can tell you no because we know you're so emotionaly attached to the
> vehicle that your greed will overcome you when we need a bump for more
> gross. We do this even if you are willing to pay full pop. This is
> because we know how emotional buyers are.

Oh, the twisted genius! My head is spinning!

Here's a link for all to someone's personal story that describes the
process, as well as the specific things dealers to do try to rip you off
at every turn. I hope it's informative. I found it a good read.

Read 2a. "Sales Manager" on this specific topic.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/4/163150/0581

> Oh.. and to the buyers that think they "beat" the dealer, when you
> leave we always have your money. We can replace our product easily,we
> never loose.

Taking a loss on a vehicle for the hope of getting referrals and / or
repeat business is getting beaten. I drive away with a smug grin, and
YOUR money along with it.

--
Wound Up

ThunderSnake #65

"A pessimist is just a well-informed optimist." - Anon.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:10 AM
IamGoode

I once got so angry with the let me talk to the boss process that I got up and
went to the bosses office... Then when the dealer didn't want to service a
warranty problem I blasted up to the service managers office. Both times were
successful, but I still think I paid too much for the car. I found it helpful
to go in right before closing, after I just ate dinner.. Not them....

Sean

rec.bicycles.marketplace