Replacement Glass ? Giant Glass: Opinions On ?

Old August 20th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Robert11

Default Replacement Glass ? Giant Glass: Opinions On ?

ello:

Have a 2006 Accord that looks like it will need a replacement front
windshield due to a lot of rocks impacting it over the year.

Would Giant Glass be O.K. to use ?

I guess I'm wondering if they use "real" Honda approved glass, or an
after-market type ?

Should I have it done by a Honda dealership ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old August 20th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

My 91 Civic's front windshield got hit really bad last year
so I had it replaced. I called around for a few hours,
including asking my insurance company who they used, and
ended up with Safelite. They came to my house the next day,
on time. The young man had the job done in 45 minutes.
Safelite charged me the previously quoted price of $220.

In the past year I believe I have seen lower quotations for
the cost and counsel to shop around. I know around once a
month I get mailed a bunch of coupons, and usually a few
"auto glass replacement" companies advertise this way.

Also, I have not yet read anything that convinces me that
OEM is necessary. The Safelite glass has a guarantee on it,
as well.

Of course, my Honda is old and nothing fancy is needed.

How much does Giant want?

Have you checked your insurance on this?

"Robert11" > wrote

Old August 21st 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Robert11" > wrote in
news
> ello:
>
> Have a 2006 Accord that looks like it will need a replacement front
> windshield due to a lot of rocks impacting it over the year.
>
> Would Giant Glass be O.K. to use ?
>
> I guess I'm wondering if they use "real" Honda approved glass, or an
> after-market type ?

Almost 100% chance it's aftermarket. OEM is *very* expensive.

> Should I have it done by a Honda dealership ?

They'll farm it out to a glass shop anyway, and will use aftermarket.

The most important thing is to make sure all the paint nicks are patched up
before the new glass goes in. And for that you need a shop that will allow
you to inspect the aperture.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 23rd 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Larry[_4_]

The term OEM glass applies to many manfacturers. Honda, depending on the
plant of manufacture uses PPG and Asahi (Japanese mfg). Honda also uses
another American made brand, whose name escapes me. In general, OEM glass
is made by various manufacturers who produce glass for the new car industry.
Aftermarket glass includes some of the cheap Chinese made glass.
Structurally, they all have to meet DOT safety requirements, but the cheaper
glass does have lower quality of optics.

news