Tailpipe options for 90 GT

Old August 20th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy Pavatte

Default Tailpipe options for 90 GT

Hi all.
I'm researching tailpipe options for my 90 GT, and have discovered
Flowmaster now makes one thats 3 inches diameter for my car. This
interests me, but will I encounter any fit problems?
I'm guessing some sort of adapter would be placed between the muffler
(2.5 inches) and the 3 inch pipes, and they claim to use the factory
hangars and such.
My mufflers are (I think) in pretty good condition, but I'm not opposed
to replacing them if necessary for the pipes.
I was gonna contact Flowmaster about this, but they don't take tech
questions by email (and phoning isn't convenient for me).
Therefore I once again turn to you, and welcome your experiences and/or
advice.
Thanks very much, and best wishes.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old August 21st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Randy Pavatte wrote:

Randy,

Note: Stock piping is 2 1/4" in diameter.

3", IMO, is going to look geeky, especially with the GT's lower rear
valance. If you insist on getting a larger diameter pipe, just go with
a more stock looking 2 1/2" diameter and us a factory-style (for GTs)
angled cut turn down.

Patrick

Old August 21st 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
oneadvent

well i would say if you trying to improve performance you should scrap
the gt kit and go for the lighter lx kit. thats about 400 pound
difference. i have the lx kit with 3 inch pipes with 2 1/2 in tips.
looks and sounds great.

Old August 22nd 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

oneadvent wrote:
> i have the lx kit with 3 inch pipes with 2 1/2 in tips. looks and sounds great.

It may look and sound great, but 3" pipes on a 5-liter, unless it's
pumping out HUGE amounts of horsepower, is going to hurt performance.

2 1/2" is more than plenty for most street driven 5-liter cars.

Patrick

Old August 22nd 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
oneadvent

how would that hurt performance? the extra weight made up by the lack
of gt kit.

explain yourself please.

and by the way, it does sound GREAT.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

oneadvent wrote:
> how would that hurt performance? the extra weight made up by the lack
> of gt kit.

> explain yourself please.

Explain your reference of "gt kit" Are you speaking of the extara
weight the ground effects a GT carries vs a plain LX body. Or are you
talking some sort of GT exhaust system? ????

> and by the way, it does sound GREAT.

I'm only talking about the use of 3" exhaust pipes on a 5-liter. 3"
piping is WAY too big for the average street 5-liter car. 3" piping is
so big that speed of the gases is slowed down, hurting performance.

Patrick